Kona-Maui-Honolulu 14 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2016, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14 Days (Big Island, Maui, Oahu) not including travel from and to mainland.

How would you break it up ?

What location to stay? Any hotel recommendations? Hotel vs Condo? (budget ~ 125/night)
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 06:16 AM

It depends on your priorities e.g. relaxation or activity, what activities, dry weather or lush scenery etc? To plan it right make a list of interests for each island and break your time up according to the list. All you can get from other people are their own lists, based on their own priorities.

The only advice I give universally for multi-island visits is to do Oahu as far toward the beginning of the trip as possible. It's a lot more crowded and harried than the other islands, at least much of it is, and imo it's pointless to return from an extended Hawaii vacation frazzled from traffic and crowds. The same is becoming increasingly true on Maui, so I'd do that island next after Oahu. To maximize relaxation reserve the BI (or Kauai or Molokai) for last.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 08:02 AM

I completely agree with fdecarlo, but here's my take on time:

I'd spend 4 days on Oahu - staying in one place for all 4 nights, but spend 2 days in the Waikiki area, 1 in the Kailua-Lanikai area, and 1 on the North Shore. You can visit Diamondhead either on a Waikiki day or on the way to or from Kailua. Kayaking out of Kailua is great.

I'd spend 4 days on Maui (really 3-1/2 because it will take you a half a day to get there), again sleeping in one place. 2 days at the beach, 1 day visiting upcountry and Haleakala, 1 day driving at least part of the Road to Hana (actually, I wouldn't do that, but I would recommend it for a first-timer).

That leaves 6 days for the Big Island (really 5-1/2 because it will take you a half a day to get there). We were on the Big Island this year for the first time in 35 years. Frankly, it's not my favorite, because I prefer lusher landscapes. But since you are going, you need a fair amount of time because the island is very large compared to the other islands. Maybe 4 days on the Kona side and 2 on the Hilo side.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Flying in to Kona and out from HNL is already locked in for us. Everything else is flexible at this point.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

"It depends on your priorities e.g. relaxation or activity, what activities, dry weather or lush scenery etc? To plan it right make a list of interests for each island and break your time up according to the list. All you can get from other people are their own lists, based on their own priorities."

I want a mix of relaxation and outdoor activities, such as snorkeling. I like any beautiful scenery, lush, beach, mountain, rocky or otherwise.

I was thinking I should spend 3-4 days on BI, 2 to 3 days on Oahu and the rest of the time either on Maui or Kauai.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 10:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We did this trip in 2014. Spent 3 1/2 days on Oahu, 5 days on Big Island, the rest on Maui.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 10:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With only 14 days, I'd pick only 1-2 islands. You can find relaxation, outdoor activities, beautiful scenery, etc. on any of the islands. The Big Island, well, is BIG. I think 14 days split between Oahu and either Kauai or Maui would be perfection.

$125/night is a pretty low room rate request for Hawaii. You'll need to put some serious time into figuring that part out at that price.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 11:20 AM

I agree suze, the Big Island is ... BIG. The problem is the tourist things are spread all over the island so you end up driving long distances to places. If ypu stay at Kona for instance you have hour long drives to Kilauea or Hilo, and back to your hotel. Then same thing if you go to Waimea/Parker Ranch or Waikola, etc. There is just toouch driving. Otherwise I'd suggest not staying in one general location.

My favorite islands are Kauai and Oahu.

Sf has given you some good tips. I agree BI isn't as lush for example as Oahu and Kauai would be. And the north Shore of Kauai is very lush.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 12:11 PM

With 14 days I agree with sticking to two islands, maybe spend 8 on Big Island and the rest on whatever other island you decide on.
Agree with others your budget is very low, plus there is about a 14% room tax and condo will have a deposit and cleaning fee.
If you can up your budget a bit on BI, look into Kohala since Kona is a dengue zone right now.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 12:22 PM

Anywhere on the BI is very pricey. Waimea in the north central area might have some cheaper (being relative) B and B's. South Kona might have some as well. I would skip the BI.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 12:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Look on VRBO for Waikiki Baynan, there are some nice reasonably priced condo's there. We booked all our Hawaii accommodation through VRBO or AirBNB.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Wow, dengue has moved into Kona - it wasn't that far north when we were there in November.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 03:35 PM

sf, it's either an amazing coincidence, or simply what happens when frog populations are controlled on an island. They had normal numbers of mosquito-transmitted diseases until they went after the coquis.

Governator, if I was limited to $125/nt in Hawaii I'd head inland, and trade oceanfront/beachfront rooms for much lower rates. E.g. on the BI look into Waimea (Jacaranda Inn etc).
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

We're flying into BI and out of Oahu. That's already booked so if I do only 2 islands it would have to be those 2. Being as this might be my first and only trip to Hawaii I feel that I should get a taste of Maui or Kaui.

Looking on VRBO there seems to be a lot available for 125/nt or less. I'm ok not being oceanfront.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 12:09 PM

Please be very careful when using sites like VRBO or AirBnb, as illegal rentals are a huge problem in all the islands of Hawaii. If the rental does not have a TVR number (do not confuse with tax id) it is likely not a legal rental.
I just read elsewhere that earlier this week a special task force was closing down illegal rentals in Kailua, Oahu and shut down 27 or more in one day. Would hate for you to arrive and see your paid for accommodations not be available.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 02:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree -- your budget is very low for legitimate rentals. W/ taxes and fees you re are really only working w/ about $100 per night. And if they aren't legit -- I would definitely avoid.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

As I'm looking at hotel options now, I will have to up my budget to more like 180/nt. With cleaning fees VRBO is not a good short stay option.

What do you think of this 14 Day Itinerary?

Arrival night stay Kona
Day 1 See the Kona coast stay Kona
Day 2 Drive to Volcanos Park see park, stay Volcano Village or Hilo
Day 3 Drive to Alkala Falls, stay Hilo
Day 4 Depart for Maui stay Maui
Day 5-10 Chill out at a Maui beach hotel
Day 11 Depart for HNL stay Honolulu
Day 12-14 See Honolulu sights stay Honolulu
Day 15 depart for home

Do you think I should take a day or two away from Honolulu, to see more BI? Where would you focus those extra days in BI?
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 09:31 AM

Personally I would skip Maui, if your just going to go to the beach. I think your itinerary for the BI is perfect. I would add the 7 days in Maui to more time on the BI and Oahu.

Oahu has so much more to do. Hawaiian historical places are Pearl Harbor, the Bishop Museum, the Iolani Palace, Chinatown, etc.

The best snorkeling (IMHO) is found at HanaUma Bay. And I also think Oahu gas the best beaches overall of all the islands. There is Waikiki for wonderful night life, and the North Shores beaches famous in the surfing world for Sunset Beach, Pipeline, Waimea Bay and the cute town of Hakeiwa. Oahu and Kauai are more lush and tropical.

Also if you prefer quiet, laid back old Hawaii you might consider Kauai.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 09:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No I would not cut any time from Oahu. You only have 4 days as it is now. And there is so much to see & do.

If you want to cut time from somewhere, I'd suggest it be some of the "beach time" on Maui. 5-6 days is a lot of "chill out" time (and believe me I love to relax!)
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 04:06 PM

The best snorkeling in the islands is on the Big Island, along the Kohala Coast, north of Kailua-Kona. IMO, those snorkeling beaches are also among the best for just "chilling out" as they're more remote, and less crowded than any you're likely to visit on Maui. So I agree to skip Maui and plan your beach and snorkeling time mainly on the Big Island.

As for two islands vs. three, your budget indicates two. Inter-island flights aren't cheap, and as you've found, you'll get better rates on condos with longer stays. Same is true for car rentals, which you'll need everywhere except Waikiki/Honolulu.

If you decide on three islands, consider Kauai instead of Maui. It's the most lush, tropical, and green of all the islands, and what you likely imagine Hawaii to be. If you choose Kauai, cut out east side sightseeing plans from Big Island, other than VNP. Kauai is mo bettah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -