kona for 5 days to watch friend in iron man

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and i will be in kona for a short time to watch his best friend compete in iron man. Years ago we were in maui but have not been to the BI. Really we will have only 3 days to do something. We are staying at the Kolea Beach Club Waikoloa Beach properties. My desire is to rest and relax for a day and a half and than explore hard for the other time. Is the volcano drive doable in a day and worth the trip? I remember the waterfalls and driving in maui and that was incredible. with such a short time what would you do?. any dining and drinking suggestions as well.
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Yes, the volcano is well worth a day trip. Get an early start; from Waikoloa BR, it's easy to take Saddle Road (go up the road to Waikoloa, turn right, then the new entrance/highway is on the left), to Hilo, then up to the National Park. I'd suggest viewing the Kilauea caldera crater, then walk through Thurston Lava Tube (fun and not very time consuming; much easier out than you'd think), then drive to the bottom of Chain of Craters road; check out the sea arch, and look back up at the vent Pu'u'O'o (according to the viewing summary, http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php)
You won't see any lava unless you take a helicopter ride.
Check with the park for closures, etc. (some parts listed have been closed for years): http://www.nps.gov/havo/closed_areas.htm
My favorite short walk is the first left on Chain of Craters (seaward) that has restroom signs (there's a long trail, but I like just walking through the trees to the open vista of volcanic landscape). The views and features are amazing.
Dining at the Volcano House (overlooking awesome caldera views) near the entrance of the park is a good option.
For a nice 1/2 day trip from Waikoloa, the road to Hawi is a lovely drive; everyone loves the restaurant Bamboo, and if you continue on, the views of Polulu Valley at the end of the road are breathtaking. On the way back, take 250 from Hawi to Waimea; also spectacular.
Be careful not to get caught up in the Iron Man traffic/highway closures! http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/eve...#axzz3EirAtLE4
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 08:41 AM

p.s. To be clear, I meant take Waikoloa Village road (1/2 mile north from Waikoloa resort highway traffic light), to 190, then right (south) on 190, and 3 miles later, left (east) onto Daniel K Inouye Highway (Route 200: the new Saddle Road entrance). Updated maps are a must!
This route is by far the fastest from Waikoloa resort area to the east side, especially if you want to do a day trip to HVNP.
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 12:16 PM

I was just on the big island a couple of weeks ago. I did the drive to the volcano from Waikoloa. Definitely do-able. I also did the drive up north to Hawi, and then along the top of the mountains to Waimea. I find Waimea to be a great little town in Paniolo country (cowboy country). I am in awe of the vast open land that meets the sea. Views along that mountain road are really gorgeous! I love the changing landscape from lush tropics to black barren lava rock.
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 07:25 PM

How did it go? I was at the turnaround in Hawi, and it was exciting, although I was misinformed about Apolo Ohno's number, so I missed him, although I saw the mayor of Hawaii, Billy Kenoi, who also finished the race. http://bigislandnow.com/2014/10/12/i...ona-triathlon/
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 06:01 AM

I watched parts online through various webcams; such an incredible undertaking to enter, let alone finish!
I was going past some cyclists (on the highway between the harbor and Hawi) doing a sprint triathlon, and the wind was so strong it had knocked a couple of people over; assume that's why there are no disc wheels allowed.