King of Prussia/Philadelphia ideas during conference

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed to the King of Prussia area for a 4 day conference in June. My wife and young baby will be going with me, but not to the conference.

Any suggestions of where to stay (under $150/nt) that would give my wife something to do during the day with the baby?

Also - suggestions of things to do in the evenings from 5:00 on for us together?

I've never been to this area, so completely unfamiliar.
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will you have a car? King of Prussia has many hotels/motels. Where is your conference being held?
The King of Prussia Mall which is wonderful is right across the street from the Crown Plaza Hotel.
The Elmwood Park Zoo is in NOrristown which is just across the river from King of Prussia. There is also Valley Forge Park right there in King of Prussia.
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

We will have a car, but only 1. My wife can take me to the conference in the morning and keep the car for the day to go and do things. Also - if there's a hotel that is withing walking distance (with a baby stroller) would also help. Safety would definitely be first priority.
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - I forgot to add this.

The conference is being held at Church of the Savior in Wayne, PA.
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Day trip to New Hope, PA -- Very quain, nice area right on Delaware River. About 45 minute drive from KofP w/traffic.
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:58 AM

You should visit the Chanticleer Gardens in Wayne.

You should also visit Main Street in Manayunk for shopping, walking, restaurants.

There is also shopping, restaurants at the King of Prussia Mall. This is a very upscale mall--NM, Tiffany's, Versace, Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Bloomingdale's, etc. Restaurants include Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano's, Bahama Breeze.

Maybe your wife would like to drive into Center City and visit the Museum of Art?

Thin
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Depending on how young your child is, Sesame Place could be an option for your wife during the day. Valley Forge Park would be a great idea!
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM

The Wayne Hotel is within walking distance, www.waynehotel.com, but is probably a bit more than $150.00/nt. It's a good location with many shops and restaurants around.

The Radnor Hotel is also an option but I don't think it's location is as good.

If your child is a toddler, he/she might enjoy the Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia. And there's always the Philadelphia Zoo.
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM

I would highly rec. that you stay right in Wayne, PA near your church if you can swing it. Great little town that has a lot to do. Many locals enjoy this town which is where the well healed Philly residents summered many many years ago and you can walk from Hotel to your church (10 minutes) down one street thru charming old neighborhoods. Great rest. bars, shopping sidewalks movie theater, etc. However the Wayne Hotel is likely out of your price range - $200 (I would check).

KofP is perfect for Mom's with young kids. Your wife will be amongst throngs of women pushing stroller beating the heat inside at this huge mall. Lots to do.

The Crown Plaza is the best choice for KofP as your wife can walk across one street and get there. You could spend day(s) there if you like to shop. Not sure what the Crown Plaza rates are. Valley Forge Park is closeby and great for a picnic and has great walking trails /views and is close by.
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

So many ideas - we really appreciate the suggestions. The conference has discounted rates at the Comfort Inn in King of Prussia and at the Hampton Inn in Phoenixville. All are within 10 miles of the church, so I think that would be feasible. Any reviews of either of those? - since we can get those at about $100/night.

Our baby will only be 2 months old, so we're looking more for activities/sights for mom that it's not too difficult to bring the baby along.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Are you flying and renting or driving your own car to the event?
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

We will be driving our own car.
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't stayed at either of the hotels you mentioned, but the King of Prussia location would offer more to do than Phoenixville.
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I noticed on Hotwire that they have a 3.5 star in Plymouth Meeting for $106 as a "Best Deal." Anyone have experience what this hotel might be? Based on amenities, I thought it might be the Springhill Suites, but not sure.

I know it's a little further away, but could be worth it for a nicer hotel?
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
yk

When I try on hotwire using the Package Deal trick, it looks like the 3.5* comes up as Hyatt Summerfield Suites.

Amenities include:
Suite
Complimentary Breakfast
Fitness Center
Pool(s)
Business Center
Laundry Facilities
Kitchenette
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM

i wouldn't stay at the comfort inn--it's on the traffic circle of 202 and the mall---it used to be a seedy hotel, then became comfort.
the Elmwood Park zoo is great - 15 minutes if you have a car and directions
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

We're thinking about trying the Hotwire option - we like the looks of the Hyatt Suites and what it offers. I hate making these decisions!
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

I ended up booking through Hotwire. We got the Hyatt Summerfield Suites for 4 nights @ $99/night. Other internet rates were over $150/nt, and this hotel seems to have really good reviews since Hyatt took it over.

Any other ideas of what we can do in the area? The suggestions so far sound GREAT!

We know it will add a little more driving staying at this Hyatt, but we don't mind that.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM
yk

Is the IKEA still there? That's the only thing comes to mind when I think of "Plymouth Meeting".
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM

It is yk.

You might enjoy spending some time in Chestnut Hill, lakeside, which isn't too far from Plymouth Meeting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -