Reload this Page >

Killer whale watching from Vancouver Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 1997, 03:18 AM
Michelle Bowden

Our family wants to go killer whale watching from Vancouver Island in about March/April 1998? Can someone help with suggestions/recommendations etc either on land or by sea?? Thanks

Old Oct 5th, 1997, 10:16 AM
Jan

We have good luck in seeing Killer Whales on Friday
Harbor, in the San Juan Islands, depending on how you're traveling to Vancouver Island, it might be on your way. We have made many trips to Vancouver Island and were lucky to spot a pod when we left by
ferry last summer. There are several whale watching
boats that depart from Victoria's harbor, and although we'd never tried it, they looked like fun. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail, hope this helps some. Jan

Old Nov 3rd, 1997, 11:35 AM
MM

Try to arrange a visit to Tofini, Vancouver Island, and book a day cruise to whale watch. It is a beautiful town and famous for its whale watching excursions. Enjoy! We did!

Old Nov 22nd, 1997, 08:10 AM
SHEILA OLSON

Hi There,

You should know that killer whale sightings are by chance as they travel about. Your best chance of seeing killer whales is from mid-July to mid-September in the Johnstone Strait region of Vancouver Island (Northeast). Killer whale pods congregate there to socialize and feast on returning salmon. There are a number of companies that provide day excursions and you can be guaranteed that you will see them. I took a kayaking trip and the experience was outstanding.
Six days of paddling among islands, beaches, old indian villages, and of course whales. I don't know how old your kids are but if old enough they will no doubt enjoy such a trip. I found my old brochure and you can contact www.travel.bc.ca/s/seatosky/

If you are coming up in March/April then it is a great time to view migrating grey whales. Most of the companies on the west coast of Vancouver Island and in Victoria are geared for this event.

Please contact me if I can help further.

Sheila
about the trip

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 12:18 PM
chris

I am on the Board of Directors of the Qualicum Beach Chamber of Commerce on Vancouver Island, B.C. Killer whales can be seen at any time of the year but the best time is June - Aug. In March, the west coast of the Island - Tofino and Ucluelet areas have dozens of excursions to watch the grey whales while they migrate. If you specifically want to see killer whales, your best bet is a small place called Telegraph Cove. It is a tiny resort area, about 2 1/2 hours north of Campbell River. Please give our Chamber a call at 1-250-752-9532 and ask for Georgia or Shawn. Tell them that you would like some information on Telegraph Cove, the whale watching tours and a phone number for the resort there. The motel is actually a group of small cabins that sit along a wooden boardwalk running beside the ocean. It is a very pretty spot but it is definately not the Holiday Inn. If you decide to go to the West Coast of Vancouver Island instead, to see the grey whales, they you should call the Oak Bay Marine group in Victoria B.C. They have a very nice resort in Ucluelet where you can stay in attractive condos or on a large passenger ship that is anchored at their marina. They run special excursions out of Vancouver, with bus trip, ferry fee, 1 or 2 nights accommodation and a 3 hour whale, seal and eagle watching tour. These packages are quite reasonable at about $89.00 Cdn. per person for the one night trip. It is very busy over there in Feb./March so you would be wise to make reservations. Hope you have a great holiday on our beautiful and friendly Island.