Killer view for 2 in Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’ve been talking about going to Kauai for a couple of years but for some reason I haven’t been able to settle on a rental house. Now I’m thinking about it again for next summer and hoping the Kauai experts will steer me in the right direction. We’re looking for a small cottage or house (would also consider a special condo) on the north shore with very nice ocean views. We like to spend time out of the sun on a covered deck or patio – so view is important. I’ve checked the popular rental agency sites and have seen several good options but nothing that really jumped out and spoke to me. I'd really appreciate first hand recommendations.

Bill (iamg) if you are reading this – I’m looking for the Kauai version of House of Merriment, Big Island.

We need to stay within the $250-$300 a night range. Please help me identify the spot so I can get on with my life and not spend every waking moment on the computer
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:02 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Moon Beach Cottage a few years ago. Great location--walk across the lawn and you're on the beach. The Kobayashi family has other properties in the area. The web site shows them all. http://www.beachkauai.com/
I've always wanted to stay at the house on this website. Can't beat the price. p://www.how2vacation.com/details.aspx?list_id=13398
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM

My husband and I stayed at the second place in martym's post a few years ago. It was a charming little cottage, with a hottub on the deck, and birds an lush grounds surrounding it. But don't go there for a view of the ocean. To get to the beach you must get in your car and drive several miles. You cant see any water at all from the location. It's a nice spot to explore the island, but not if you want to get up in the morning and walk on the beach.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM

You might look at these,
http://www.halemakaicottages.com/cottages.aspx
We've stayed there twice and would love to return next year.
Another option is...
http://www.vrbo.com/30434
We stayed here last year when Hale Makai was booked, also very nice. Good Luck, Harry
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:30 PM

We've tried to rent Hale Walea several times but it's never been available when we wanted to go. Check it out. I've never been inside but the location is wonderful.
http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/37.html

Good luck.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Want to be mindful of view and how much heat a place can take in when there is a sweeping window against the afternoon sun. I have stayed in the pua poa in August and the view was great but the sun and the floor to ceiling glass windows made the condo unbearable during the day. The windows just magnified everything AND ta boot owner lied about AC and mold and working sotve. Fine to sleep without AC after the sun went down. If you are considering renting at the pua poa let me know and I will look up the unit. I was very surprised that this guy was not booted off VBRO because we were asked to right a letter to the condo board as the complex had heard complaints about this owner before. Very unusual for a condo owner to lie and plenty of other units there where people are happy during the odd day home with air conditioning.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Sarah - thanks for the tip about Pua Poa. One of the reasons I am hesitant to rent a condo is because of the heat -- free standing homes are usually a lot cooler.

Martym - the location of Moon Beach Cottage looks great but they don't show any photos of the inside. Can you provide additional info -- was the deck covered? Bed comfortable?, etc.

Punana Aloha is the place that I had just about decided on two years ago when I explored Kauai before -- but then found a place that seemed perfect for us (and was) on the Big Island so we went there instead.

Punana Aloha is a strong possibility unless something else surfaces . . . still looking . . .

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Hi cm,

I would suggest Hale Walea as well. I too have never been able to rent it as it seems to have limited availability during the summer. The owner uses it during the summer apparently. Location, location, location! It is right on Makua Beach and just a few minutes walk to amazing seasonal snorkeling. It has a large deck that overlooks the beach. The only possible drawback might be that it is next to a vacant lot that is next to the camping spots at Haena Bach Park. I'd rent it anyway.

Here is a link to inside shots of Hanalei Moon. There is a link to more on this page as well. Great location as well.
http://www.beachandbluff.com/index2.html

I love this place too, but it is too pricey.
http://www.balihai.com/vacationrenta.../cat_1/page_2/

-Bill
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Bill - thanks for the reply and additional information. Of course the expensive one looks ideal - but over our budget as well. I think we have similar tastes since I really liked the place you rented in St. John -- and, we'd love to go there but my husband teaches (yes, even in the summer) so our only break is last week of August /first two weeks of Sept. Probably the worst time to go to the Caribbean - bummer.

Curious if you've been in touch with Mike from Black Bamboo and if you are considering one of his cottages for a future trip. I'm tempted to just return but
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

sorry . . .

but I really enjoy new adventures and all the joys and frustrations of researching, planning, etc. etc.

Carol
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM

cm,
No, I'm not planning on doing the Big Island in the near future, however when we do decide to do the BI, he will be getting a call.
Good luck.
-Bill
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM

aloha bbq! alohas to everyone for that matter.

cm, here's a link to my journal from last year. http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....1&tid=34669307
Check out where we stayed. I must agree that a cottage or free standing villa is the way to go. I really disliked having a wall of glass facing west at 3:00PM... HOT HOT HOT!

ssshhhhhhh. doncha know it rains constantly on the north shore... the roosters are unbearable and the bugs will eat you alive day and night. Are U sure you want to go THERE???
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:32 PM

aloha makai!
You did not mention all the lousy restaurants and the constant battle with BOREDOM you have to endure.
-Bill
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

makai - WOW - wonderful photos!! Just when I was beginning to think I'd pass on Kauai again, your images have renewed my interest. And, I'm not dissuaded by talks of rain, roosters & bad restaurants

So, . . . you loved Hale Maluhia? I'm not sure how I missed that one - I've bookmarked it now. Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 05:40 AM

The living area/kitchen of Moon Beach cottage was spacious. The front of the cottage is all windows facing the yard and the bay. We were there in the winter and I remember sitting in the living room watching the huge winter waves pound the beach one day. (Waves were smaller the next day) The bed was comfortable. I don't recall anytning about the deck being covered. You could ask the owners.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:09 PM

How about Hale 'O Lalani Cottage? Looks lovely though haven't stayed there myself.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Interesting that you should recommend Hale O Lalani - I bookmarked that one two years ago and revisit the site from time to time -- and, I agree, it looks very appealing - great interior - something keep drawing me back to it. The only down side is not having a much of a view - but maybe I'm making too much of the whole view thing.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:09 PM

I agree - Hale O Lalani looks like a winner. We are also looking for a special place on the north shore. Curious if anyone is familiar with the location - proximity to beaches, privacy, etc.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM

Not on the north shore - but this looks like a special spot - with a great water view - and a good price.

http://www.gloriasvacationrentals.co...holokokai.html
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:22 PM

Friends just returned from Kauai and honeymooned at the Mango Shack, a treehouse "shack"cottage near Moloa (sp?) Bay. $90/night. They loved it!! Google "Mango Shack" and check its listing on VRBO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -