Search

Kids missing three weeks of school.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kids missing three weeks of school.

Hi,
I homeschool my two older children, but my sixth grader will be going to public school this year.
We have a trip to Australia planned this November, and I really don't know what to say to the school. I really don't want him to miss so much school, but homeschool won't work this year. He moved with his dad, and he won't homeschool. Any advice would be great.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:31 AM

The way our schools are organized one might be lead to conclude that education requires a specific number of school days per year and a specific number of hours per school day.

However, learning actually occurs in a burst as it will many times for your children during the weeks they are in Australia.

In your situation, I would ask the school what services they provide for students who are unable to attend classes. It is better to ask for a solution than to suggest one.

HTtY
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:31 AM

So were you asking us for what to say to the school? Only you know your own school district and what are you doing don't permit.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:39 AM

Well it is the dad's school district and maybe frat time in a public school. I am not sure if the issue will only be with the school but maybe the father as well so make sure you have all angles covered. Is there a way to make sure the trip misses the least amount of school possible or for the one kid to get back a few days early and cut short a portion of the trip ?
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Around here the teacher can set up a lesson plan and require some additional work - say an essay or presentation re the trip relevant to some of their studies.

But we can't help you since it 100% depends on the school/district where the child attends. If you don't yet know the teacher for this Fall, why not talk to the school principal or vice p. and ask them . . . .
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:56 AM

I would say that for sure the important part is to have him enrolled in school. I think that's where you'd get in trouble is if you don't have him enrolled...the next thing is just to be honest with the school and let them know that you thought at the time of making the non refundable arrangements that he would be homeschooled, but since have changed from that to public school. They will completely understand. He won't be missing anything!!! The first 3 weeks will most likely be review from what they already learned in the grade previous...just keep that refreshed and he'll be fine...

It's actually a really good idea to have him have a delayed start.. This way he will be getting individualized attention as opposed to being just thrown in with the masses and be expected to go with the flow. This delayed start with give time for all the other kids to get settled and when your son starts, he will be given a buddy that will already know what to do and show him where to go...

You couldn't have planned it better. Don't let the school our anyone else make you believe otherwise.

Have a wonderful time... And yes, wouldn't hurt to be ready to give an on the spot report of the trip. Always a good time to teach... Exports, imports, flowers, animals, government, weather and such.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:57 AM

Oh, I'm sorry.i misunderstood. I thought he would be missing the start of school.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:58 AM

It all depends on the school district's policy. Can the schoolwork be assigned and done on the trip and turned in when you return? Or will the child get zeros for the days missed. I would never take a high schooler out for that long, but don't know about a sixth grader.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 09:06 AM

But the same thing applies... Let them know you believed that he was going to be home schooled when you made the trip arrangements and that you didn't intend for him to miss school. Nevertheless, the tickets are non changeable and non refundable...

The school will work with you. He will definitely be given the assignments and will have to do the work while he's gone. They may allow him to even submit assignments online.

Still,i say, don't let them give you a hard time. Be up front... But bottom line is that you are in charge of your child. You can even take him out of school.... Tell them that you're moving... And could just bring him back and tell them the move didn't work out. Plans change all the time. But the best thing for your child is to keep up to date on the school work so he doesn't fall behind. But if it's anywhere around thanksgiving, I'd say the week of the holiday, they don't do much anyhow.

Hope this helps. Just be confident that you know what's best for your child and you're doing just that. Have fun!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 09:24 AM

Just taking a quick look googling it... Some places actually arrest parents for their kids missing school. They are considered unexcused absences so it looks like you do have to be really careful.

Is there anyway to "homeschool" him while away officially???

Other things to consider it looks like if it's for religious reasons, pretty much it's everything goes...
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 09:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<and I really don't know what to say to the school>

Maybe you could tell them the truth?

That would be by far the easiest thing.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 09:34 AM

Ok, perfect... Here is a thread for you to read through....

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...r-vacation.cfm
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 09:54 AM

Several posters are missing is that the sun does no longer live with her mom who lives with her dad. And the dad is not wanting to homeschool that wants the sixth grader en rolled in school.know if dad has custody, it's important to work with the dad and the school district to make sure this is going to be OK. We have no idea if there's any animosity here oh why the sun decided to go live with her dad but if there is any problem, especially if they're still bad blood between the parents, its. Sure to make sure to work with the dad and the school system to ensure they won't be any problems. I'm wondering if the son wants to go on this trip?
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 10:12 AM

Several posters are missing is that the sun does no longer live with her mom who lives with her dad.

You are right. I missed all the drama you find in the post, but I still advise to ask the school what services they provide for whatever the situation is.

HTtY
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 10:16 AM

To spare you reading over a hundred posts... What I got from it....

Take your kids and have a good time... Cherish the time you have to suited together as a family.

Since he is not in middle school or high school, he has a better chance of not missing too much hard stuff(calculus).

Let the teacher know ahead of time, but know they may be disappointed. It's not their choice.

Bring inexpensive gifts back for the teacher and classmates.

Journal.

Have fun!
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought 6th grade WAS middle school.

In any case, I'm not sure this is fair to the kid. If he has never been in a school before, this is not just the difficulty of starting a new school, but a whole new experience. Pulling him out while he's still finding his feet doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 10:58 AM

OH, Middle school here starts in 7th grade. Anyhow, i don't think you were asking my opinion... Just what to tell the school....

I say tell the truth... That's what we can give to our children...
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 11:40 AM

Not to rain on your parade, and urreliefishere has a lot of happy sunshine advice, but from my experience 3 weeks of middle school is a lot to miss. Your son's father needs to be upfront with the new school from the start. Teachers, and I have been one, and have others in my family, do not like to give special assignments at that level for that much time nor do they like having to bring a student up to speed after missing that much school. Illness is one thing, a family vacation another. And middle school will probably have him in several subjects with different teachers.

I am not totally without empathy; we used to take our kids out of school for travel opportunities but stopped when the oldest went to middle school, too much to miss he said. And our daughter is married to an Australian; every other year they travel there in November for two weeks. But one of those weeks is our Thanksgiving, school is out that week, so the kids will miss 5 days. And they are young, 8 and 6.

Good luck. This is really very delicate, especially for a new student.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 12:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
He stays with his Dad and attends school? And only you and the other two kids take the vacation?
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 05:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the dad know about this planned vacation? He's really the one who will have to deal with the school district.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -