Kiawah Island--Duneside Villas

Old Jan 31st, 2010, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiawah Island--Duneside Villas

Is the beach at Duneside Villas nice? I know there is a rocky area where swimming is not allowed. Does anyone know about the area around Dunside?
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM

We own a house on Kiawah (disclaimer of my prejudice) and I have no knowledge of any rocky area on the island. The beach is incredible, wide, softly sloping, clean.

The only drawbacks to Duneside are that the units are a good distance from some of the other island activities (park, restaurants, hotel) and that they are located near the public area of the beach, Beachwalker Park. Neither of those are serious drawbacks.

Kiawah is a lovely island, very natural. You can swim anywhere on the beach.

The Duneside units are all lovely.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:21 AM

Agreed - I've been to Kiawah several times and the beach is beautiful. If there's a rocky area I've never seen it.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM

Duneside is right on the beach. There is no rocky area anywhere near there.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:37 PM

There are no rocky areas anywhere on Kiawah's beach. At the very ends of the island, there are potentially dangerous currents; however, you would have to walk quite a distance from Duneside to reach the area that is too dangerous for swimming.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much; we have made 15 visits to Kiawah in years past but have always stayed in the Night Heron Park area. Regarding Dunesides proximity to Beachwalker Park: Does this make this part of the beach really crowded?
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 09:13 AM

Beachwalker Park is the only place you can access the beach without going through a security gate. Thus, it is more crowded than the other sections of beach. This is where the locals come for the day. There are few facilities at the Park which does limit the number of locals interested in visiting.

I would not say it is crowded to the point of making the beach unpleasant; just a lot of day-trippers. by 4 p.m. the beach is usually deserted.

The Dunesside units are really nice but they are a longer way from the island's other amenities. A long bike ride or a trip in the car to the park, restaurants, tennis courts, etc.