Key West Suggestions

Search

Key West Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West Suggestions

I think that we have all of our ducks in a row but I'd love any input that anyone may have that would make our trip more fun. We are going to Key West Jan 20-24 and staying at the Key Lime Inn. We're not going to rent a car; just bikes. From what I've read and other people have told me a car is not necessary. Are the Dry Tourtagas(sp) worth a day trip? I'm looking forward to tooling around around the island and sampling the local bars. Is there one thing we'll really regret if we don't experiance it?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:16 AM
cd

If it's a good sailing day, take a day sail from the marina. We went on the Appledore for an afternoon and had a blast. There was only eight of us. They offer complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks. We had a good wind that day and the sun and water were beautiful. One of our favorite memories.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Fott Jefferson National Park at the Dry Tortugas is great and definitely worth a trip.

Also for a quick & enjoyable overview of Key West, don't miss the famous Conch Train tour. Do it on your first day.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Forgot to mention ... ride your bikes to my favorite off-the-beaten-path restaurant, Jose's Cantina.

It's casual, extremely low-key, family-owned -- located on White Street. I've only been to Jose's for lunch, and the cubanos are extraordinary!

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:38 AM

If this is a first trip I always suggest not going to the Dry Tortugas. I will explain if you want. Instead consider any or all of

1. the Sebago Island T'ing trip; breakfast, snorkel, lunch, kayak, fruit & sangria. Boards 9:30, back at 4:00.

2. An afternoon snorkel on the Floridays which moors at the Hyatt.

3. Combo snorkel / sunset sail on the Caribbean Spirit. Best deal, use a coupon.

Bike from the Inn all the way back to the airport in the morning and onto the newly re-opened White Street pier. Part of the sidewalk across from the airport has been dug up for pipelines, but you can get by and this is the nicest area to ride near. Just east of Higgs and Smathers Beach. Most bike rental places will give you a map.

Kelly's on the corner of Whitehead and Caroline, 4:00 - 7:00 for $2.50 the best margueritas.

Alonzo's at the Key West Bight, 4:00 - 7:00 for 1/2 price appitizers and if you use the coupon on page 36 of the See Key West magazine, you get a free drink. You can use the other coupon on the same page for a drink at the Half Shell Raw Bar with your peel-your-own shrimp.

Gotta go to B.O.'s (Fishwagon) on Caroline for a sandwich. Make sure Jeff is there (young, blond cook) as he makes it fun. Blackened grouper is great.

If you don't mind spending $6.25 for a Bloody Mary, go to the Rooftop Cafe on Front Street at about 4:30. Sip and watch the people below you. Great for breakfast. Eggs Benedict on a shrimp & crab cake. (There are at least 8 other places to have breakfast / brunch)

One or many mojitos at El Meson de Pepe just off Front Street while you listen to the band in the alleyway. This is the place for a Cuban dinner, #81 or #82 on the menu for a sampling, with a glass of red Spanish wine, then a cafe con leche.

How are those ducks doing?

Pjk

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:54 AM
GoTravel

jnine (hey girl!), can y'all swing the plane ride to the Dry Tortugas instead of the boat trip?

Reason being that you leave for the Dry Tortugas after the boats leave and you arrive before they get there. You have several hours to enjoy the island and then fly home.

You are back hours before the boats get home and most importantly, you aren't exhausted like everyone on the boats are.

The boat trip will have you in bed by 8PM. The plane trip will have you partying all night!

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:56 AM
GoTravel

Okay, bars:

Have a drink on the rooftop of the La Concha Hotel (my dad calls it the historic hotel)

Captain Tonys
The Green Parrott (local hangout)
Irish Kevins
Turtle Kraals

Eat at
Seven Fish
BOs Wagon

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions.
The ducks, thus far, have been pretty orderly and well behaved.
We have never been snorkeling. We both swim but may be a wee bit out of shape. Is snorkeiling difficult?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Go Travel! Good to hear from you. I can't wait to go to Key West. I'm ready now. My son has flown to the Dry Tortugas and said you can see so much more that way. And the extra party time is always good.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 08:41 AM

> We have never been snorkeling.
> We both swim but may be a wee bit out of shape.
> Is snorkeiling difficult?

The ability to swim is both necessary and (probably) sufficient to be able to snorkel. The main problem I have is remembering to always breath through my mouth. Use your fins intead of your arms to move around. Stay near the boat with a buddy until you get a sense of how well you're handling it. Be willing to admit that you're getting tired, and return to the boat.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input. I think we could handle some low key snorkling. It sounds like a lot of fun. I think we'll have to try it. Probably before happy hour would be best.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM

I second the recommendation for the seaplane to Dry Tortugas. A little pricy, but an experience you will never forget.
Restaurants:
Pepes
B.O's Fish Wagon
Blue Heaven
Bars:
Captain Tony's (original Sloppy Joe's)
Irish Kevins
The Grand Restaurant
The Garden of Eden (clothing optional!)

The best "beach" is at Ft. Zachary Taylor (In Truman Complex-small admission charge)
Don't miss sunset celebration at Mallory Square (especially the Cat Man show on Hilton Pier-the cat's are fun,but Dominique is hysterical)
There is a shuttle bus (Bone Island Shuttle)that will get you around the island if you need to explore.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 03:53 AM

In more than a dozen trips to Key West I am beginning to think I'm the only person who has never been in Irish Kevin's. WAY too loud for me. I suspect I may just be too old for the place.

Anyway, for a great martini and some nice music, head to Virgilio's, located behind La Tratoria.

For Cuban, my favorite remains El Siboney, although I had a very good meal at Meson de Pepe's Thanksgiving night.

We usually bike all the way around the island and stop at Captain Harvey's Runaground, a barge at Garrison bight, for drinks and maybe a snack.

I'm also one who prefers schooners for sunset sails, rather than the cats. I was surprised at how much the Liberty Schooner had increased their rates since March, the price jumped from $50.00 to $65.00. I'm guessing because the Western Union isn't sailing any longer.

As for snorkeling, if you can swim it isn't that hard, but I'm thinking the water might be chilly in January. I know it would be too cold for me, but I'm a wimp.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:26 AM

This might whet your appitite if you decide to fly to the Dry Tortugas (the first two are not mine)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...s_Florida.html

Pjk
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 02:45 PM

My faves:

Sunset celebration at Mallory Square (held daily)

Captain Fury's sunset Catamaran Cruise with unlimited beer and wine.

Alice's restaurant...my fave in Key West.

Ernest Hemingway's home is an interesting (and relatively short) tour...definitely worth doing.

Shopping at Fast Buck Freddie's on Duval.

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 05:21 PM

I still can't decide if I should laugh or cry when I read the Garden of Eden suggestion. Please please if you stumble onto this place, remember that you were warned it is clothing optional. My bf at the time of our Key West trip apparently knew that but didn't think it was necessary to tell me. It was pretty icky because it was full of the people you DON'T want to see naked and yes, they were. (and yes we broke up shortly after that trip...)

That said, please make sure you get to Mallory Sq. for the sunset celebration. It is really cool.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Avoid the snorkeling if it is very windy. Even in a relatively sheltered area a light shop makes it much less fun.

Keith