Key West - Pier House

Search

Key West - Pier House

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West - Pier House

I'll be staying at the Pier House, One Duval Street, next week and am seeking comments. From the photos, it looks like snorkeling is a possibility? Any suggestions or tips regarding rooms etc.?

Thanks
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM

Snorkeling is not a possibility as in walking into the water where you're staying, but there are plenty of snorkeling trips available. The Pier House has a tiny little "beach" but it's basically on the harbor which has about a 6" visibility. In fact, I took the compass navigation part of my advanced scuba diving course there because you can't see a thing!

Snorkeling trips are very reasonable on the boats (maybe $25) and it's an easy ride out to the reef.
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:03 PM

Try a snorkel trip with Floridays...they dock next door at the Hyatt and limit passengers to 20 or 30.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was wondering if I could just enter the water at the small beach and see anything worthwhile. My group definitely plans to book a snorkeling trip, to I appreciate the suggestion.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
cd

Gekko
What is the price range for the Pier House?
Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Honestly I have no idea. I didn't make the reservations and didn't ask my friend who did, but I know there is a website.

www.pierhouse.com

Any suggestions on best rooms to request?

Old May 22nd, 2005, 10:56 AM

Try the Conch Airport for bi-plane rides that really show you an unusual perspective of Key West.
Can also take a sea plane to the Dry Tortugas National Park. Snorkeling was part of the deal.
Very unique!
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:20 PM

I've got friends who stayed at the Pier House twice: the first time they loved it, the second time they hated it. Most rooms overlook the parking lot and there was construction going on at the Pier House last week. If you have a room option, I'd strongly advise you to get something overlooking the water.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Report: The Pier House was fantastic! The small beach area is great, and I did see some parrotfish, grunts and other fish along the rocks to the right of the beach (but the best snorkeling is 6-7 miles offshore along the reef).

We stayed in the waterfront building next to the beach, and the rooms were large, clean, and comfortable.

Given its perfect location & unique private beach, I'll definitely return to the Pier House.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 11:25 PM

We are thinking about booking a Caribbean Spa room at the Pier House, Key West in July but I have read so many negative reviews of the hotel. Some suggest that there is work going on there and others that some of the rooms are shabby. Has anyone seen how good or bad the Caribbean Spa rooms are recently and what do they look out on to? Thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

I have no idea about the "Caribbean Spa" rooms, but I stayed at the Pier House for 4 nights a few weeks ago and it was great. I didn't see any construction, and my room (in the beachfront building to the right if one is facing the water) was certainly not "shabby."

It is Key West, however, with sand & salt & wet clothes, so the rooms are designed for such abuse.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Gekko - I probably should've used the word "deconstruction" rather than construction! When we were in Key West in May, the deli on Front Street that was part of the Pier House resort was demolished and it was difficult to tell what - if anything - was going to replace it.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:57 AM

The last time I stayed at the Pier House was probably 1998 in a suite overlooking the small beach. At that time it was a topless beach and we paid about $300 per night. The room rate on the back of the door showed $450.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I stayed at the Pier House over Memorial Day Weekend and did not see any construction/deconstruction.

And the beach has only a very small portion, off the water to the right, that is now designated as topless. Over the course of 4 days, however, I didn't see anyone taking advantage of it. And I looked.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Gekko what things are around Pier House? I am trying to put together a family vacation.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

The Pier House is at 1 Duval Street -- basically everything is close by, including Mallory Square.

If you look at a map, Pier House is at the end of Duval next to Mallory.

I'll say it again -- I and my group loved the Pier House and it's small private beach (as well as its incredible location).

Enjoy!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Is there a boat or yacht near by that does the sunset cruises? I keep doing searches but can't find a good company. I want something nice.

Gekko thanks for the info. I'm going to book asap.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Floridays is next door at the Hyatt and they do evening sails. We love it.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Gekko is correct , you are in the middle of everything. So, it you want some peace & quiet but to still be close to the action, there are a number of places on Simonton that I would suggest. Many of those are more guesthouses or B & B's, not hotels. But that is our preference & requirement really now that we have two small children.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Pier House is a little compound and most of the buildings are set back from the action. I found it to be very relaxing & quiet, a little oasis on Duval.

It is NOT a single-building hotel fronting Duval .. not even close.

The best of both worlds .. peace & quiet and in the middle of everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -