Reload this Page >

Key West or Aruba in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Tammy

I know I'm taking a risk traveling to Key West toward the end of hurricane season. Has any one been there during this time? Do the showers pass quickly? From what I've read so far, Key West sounds a little more interesting and a little cheaper including air.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:17 AM
Ron

Tammy,

Why not both places! Aruba is outside of the hurricane belt & in October is still reasonably priced! Key West is at the end of the hurricane season. We have been to both & either one is simply put, a tropical paradise! My wife & I luv Aruba, but prefer Key West now because it is easier & less expensive to get to. Aruba has the better beaches tho! Hope this helps!

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 07:21 PM
Robinson

Hey Ron, to qualify as a "tropical paradise", isn't at least a little bit of vegetation required??
Aruba is desert land and almost devoid of vegetation. Not that I have a problem with Aruba...I love the desert myself, but for those who have not been there and are reading this, they should know that it isn't tropically beautiful like, say, St. John, Bali, Tahiti, Hawaii.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 05:01 AM
jo ann

I attended a conference in Key West at the very end of Sept, 2000, from Saturday afternoon until Wednesday afternoon. It was my first trip, and I was really looking forward to seeing the sunset celebration, walking the beach in spare moments, etc.
Unfortunately, a hurricane (whose name I cannot recall - Leon, maybe?) was stuck in the area between Cuba and us - in answer to your question: does the rain move through fairly quickly? It all depends on the particular storm/hurricane. The rain, for us, began Saturday evening, maintained "tropical storm strength" constantly through very early Wednesday -- the hotel (Casa Marina, I believe - quite nice) was actually sandbagged for the final 2 days all around its base, I never got onto the beach, there never was any sunset to celebrate -- if it hadn't been for the requirement to sit out the conference, we could have been quite bored gt;) The sun came out as we began to leave town, we stopped for t-shirts at Margaritaville as if we had indeed seen some sights, and some day I hope to go back -- but not during Hurricane Season!

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 06:20 AM
Ron

Robinson,

In the eye of the beholder! You are right about the desert surroundings & of course if you don't rent a jeep to do the tour of the Island, ure right, it is a desert! But, it beautiful to us! Plus, some people never leave the beach! Now, is that not tropical paradise! Walking up & down the beach at Palm Beach is very romantic & of course the sunsets are very tropical! Well, enough said, ure point was well taken, but the subject for this post was....., well you know.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 06:40 AM
Tammy

Thank you everyone.