Reload this Page >

Key West - New Years Eve

Search

Key West - New Years Eve

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Liz

Key West - New Years Eve

We will be staying in Islamorada Christmas through New Years...would like to spend New Years Eve in Key West. Should reservations for a casual dinner be made ahead or is it possible to just go and wing it? Thanks...

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 09:01 AM
james

Wing-it at your own risk! I'd book, because EYW gets busy. What sort of place do you fancy? Upmarket/budget, loud/quiet? If you don't know Key West, I'll give you some ideas.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 09:11 AM
susan

Normally it'd be easy to have a casual dinner without reservations. In fact, most of the very casual places don't take reservations. But on New Year's Eve, you'd be wise to find someplace that does, especially since you'll probably be spending a minimum of 4 hours on the road between Islamorada and Key West. Like James, I'd be happy to make some recommendations, or better still find the web site for The Menu, which has restaurant fare in Key West.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 09:48 AM
liz

Thanks guys - recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We are a family of 5 with 3 children (not babes or tots). We are not looking for upscale or budget. A fun place with action. Loud is OK. A place where we can have a good time and enjoy the food. Liz...

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 10:06 AM
Larry

From your post it sounds like you won't be staying in Key West but driving back to Islamorada sometime after midnight? You do realize that Key West (and the Keys in general) during New Years is a drink-a-thon, and drunk drivers added to the availability of only one road plus you've got over an hour ride on those roads, well, you draw your own conclusions. Of course, the police may be out in force, which makes things safer, but going thru 2 DUI checkpoints at when you are driving home at 1 a.m. isn't my idea of capping off a nice evening. After 5 NYEs spent in the Keys (4 in Islamorada and one in Key West) I've found it's always safest and least aggravating to spend that evening as close as possible to your resort or hotel. Hey, you said you'll be in the Keys for a week, why not visit Key West sometime previous to NYE when you can enjoy it more?

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 11:20 AM
susan

I agree with the above poster. Under normal circumstances, the drive between Key West and Islamorada is about two hours. During special events and/or holidays, that drive can be much longer. Since you'll be in the keys for several days, I think it would be much more fun for you AND your children to make Key West a day trip. There are lots of things to see and do to entertain you all and you could avoid the two lane trip at night. Having said that, here's the web site that includes lots of Key West menus.
www.keywest.com/themenu/

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 04:22 AM
barbara

Hi Guys,
I would like some dinner recommendations too, as we will be in Key West New Years Eve too!! And we are also driving back, but to Marathon, isn't that a little closer??
And do you really think it will be that bad,will people drink (heavily) and drive back as well?? Here in Holland we know that the police will be there in full force, you could even lose your driver's licence!
but any ideas will be greatly appreciated. barbara

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 05:52 AM
Larry

Barbara:
I don't want to give the impression that the US1 in the Keys will be nothing but alchohol-soaked partiers veering back and forth across the highway. Yes, heavy police presence on the roads on New Years Eve (not to mention common sense and respect for the lives of those around you) will keep the majority of drunk drivers off the roads. But there will still be some. But no matter what, you are going to have a long, slow, uninteresting (night time On US 1 in the Keys isn't scenic) ride back to the hotel. As I said, NOT my idea of the perfect ending to a New Years Eve in the Keys. There are (I'm sure) some great places to spend NYE in Islamorada (in your case Marathon), so why travel all that way to get to the Keys, get a perfectly good room at a perfectly fine location, and then drive a couple hours in traffic for NYE in KEY West? Again, certainly you should visit Key West during your stay in the Keys, but why insist on spending NYE there?

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 08:41 AM
barbara

Larry, thank you for your comments, but I still have a few questions. Where do you live yourself? (I mean, is this experience speaking?) 2: our children (who normally vacation on their own, this is our once-a-year family outing) are 20 and 23 years old, is there a place in Marathon (?!?!?#?@?#) that you can recommend that will be fun all night?? One thing they definitely do not want is sitting at a dinner table from 8pm until after midnight. (neither do we) So, we thought KW to be a fun place to walk around, have a drink, have a meal and finally cheer in the new year on Mallory Square. Are we completely mistaken?
Barbara

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 09:23 AM
Larry

Like I said in my first post, I have spent 5 NYEs in the Keys, I currently live in Miami. I have not been to a NYE in the Keys in the past 4 years; my friends who live there say it has gotten more crowded, especially with non-traditional tourist types from South Florida who come for a day (read, the people who'll be cramming the roads). By the way, you are absolutely NOT mistaken that Key West would be a great place to "walk around, have a drink, have a meal, and finally cheer in the New Year on Mallory Square." Except that, since you aren't staying close to Key West, your should add the REAL "finally", which is driving back to the hotel in creeping traffic.
When you get to Marathon, ask some locals where a good close location would be to ring in the New Year, and what the place offers to make it a good time. If it still doesn't sound interesting to you, than I guess you wil only feel good about the evening if you drive down to KW. Will the drive home ruin your night or vacation? I doubt it. Would not going to Key West on NYE ruin your night or vacation? Agin, I doubt it, but perhaps you have got your heart set so much on Key West NYE that if you don't go, you'll feel you missed something. In that case, my advice is pointless.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Ed

Barbara: You mentioned not wanting to sit at a dinner table from 8 until after midnight (about 4 hours). Will it be any more fun to sit in traffic 4 hours (2 hours coming and two hours going)? If I would have to be the driver, the obvious choice is I'd rather have the dinner table.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 12:17 PM
barbara

Ed, referring to your email adress, might it be that you are from the conch republic yourself? In that case maybe you can help me in getting a hotel or whatever room for 4 people in Key West for NYE! Have tried closer than Marathon but it was already totally sold out months ago. Is Marathon really 2 hours drive from Key West? Maybe we will have to stay till morning and see the sun come up!!!!

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 01:50 PM
J T Kirk

I'd say the drive from Marathon to Key West takes about an hour and fifteen minutes, maybe a little longer at night since you have to dodge either the drunks or the key deer on the road or both. It is, for the most part, a two-lane, narrow road. and it is boring at night. Key West is fun, though, and that's where'd I'd like to spend NYE. I remember one time we decided to eat somewhere in the Middle Keys when we were staying in Key West, so I had to make that drive back to Key West late at night (not NYE thankfully). Man, I coulda kicked myself for doing that. Talk about a royal pain. There are some nice places up around Islamorda which would probably be some fun at NYE. Do a search. I'm terrible at remembering names of places. (Marathon is a bit of a bore, I'm afraid.)

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 02:19 PM
Don Knutson

Tell Buffett hello for me. Cheerz!

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 02:26 PM
xx

why not call the hotel you`re staying at and ask them their advice..

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 10:05 PM
adela

I am a Miami native & have been traveling to & from the keys all my life. I agree that the roads are not safe, especially b4, during, after holidays or special events down there. I have seen & heard of too many people dying on US1, I have family in the hospital, firefighting & police occupations there. Islamorada will be a circus in itself on NYE because of the Tiki Bar area, sometimes parking is up to a mile away. It is better to stay close to where you are vacationing that night & explore the beautiful Keys on other days.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 12:02 AM
barbara

thank you all for your comments.Now I wish I had never asked! You scared me into staying in my Marathon hotel room all NYE as I do not plan to go back to Holland in disassembled state as a result from NYE in Key West. My kids will be sorry though...
No answer from Ed still about looking for a place to stay in KW! You're awfully quiet , Ed! Conch republicans should help the foreigners and encourage safe driving on the roads!!

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 04:35 AM
Ed

Sorry for being quiet Barbara, my life is such that I can't check this list every few hours or so (as it appears some people do). I am not a travel agent or a hotel/motel owner, so I can't help with finding a place to stay. My only comment to your last post is that it probably won't matter too much where you spend your New Years in the Keys, as long as it's waterfront, good music, good food and drink, and most importantly with your family,you should have a good time. As some people suggested above, check with the hotel/motel you are staying at and ask them what's hot around you.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 05:58 AM
susan

There are several problems with trying to book a room this late for New Year's Eve in Key West, not the least of which nearly everyplace requires a minimum stay of 4 nights. Add to that the normal doubling or tripling of room rates and you're in for a very expensive few days. I speak from experience on this, since we stubbornly planned a "holiday" trip

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 06:03 AM
susan

oops, I hit the wrong button....continuing, we planned a trip and ended up spending $400 a night - for 4 nights - at the Hyatt. New Year's Eve was so crowded we ate early and retired to our room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -