Key West in March with Teens

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Carol

Key West in March with Teens

Thinking it would be better to stay on the Atlantic side of Old Town, I booked the Wyndam Casa Marina. I've since discovered that everything is on the Gulf side, but hotels there are either booked or outrageously high. Also, we're staying from a Thursday to a Tuesday which seems to eliminate a weekly rental at Truman Annex. Any suggestions or feedback on the Casa Marina from someone who's been there recently? We're coming with three teens (15-19). Will they feel out of it on the ocean side, and how safe is it for them to walk around on there own?

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 12:32 PM
????

It is spring break in Key West during that time. It will be nuts there.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 12:38 PM
ThomR

It's beyond me why people insist on dragging their kids along on vactions that are not appropriate.
I think it's because marriages are so bad that the parents need the kids as constant buffers to communication between themselves.

There is nothing for teens to do in key West except get into trouble.
Do all the adults in KW a favor and leave them at home or else go somewhere on vacation that kids can enjoy.

You probably think it;'s fine to bring kids to Las Vegas too.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Jose

March is spring break.
KW is very busy and very crazy.
Why are you going then?

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Gina

Duh, they are probably taking their kids during spring break because it's SPRING BREAK.

I'm an old fogey, but in my opinion, Key West is fine for teens - if you are open minded. Lots of history, they can rent bikes and tool around town, take the Ghost Tour, Maritime Museum tour, visit the Lighthouse, Hemingway House, go to the Sunset Celebration. There are a couple beaches. Never been to the Casa Marina. Shuttles run all over the island, so they could catch one of those.

Of course, as the night grows later, the town gets wilder. I don't know how sophisticated your teens are, but they may have quite an eye-opening experience if they are traipsing around Duval Street after 11:00 pm!

We are considering another KW trip and talked about taking our kids, but we decided against it because we are afraid they would like it TOO MUCH and want to stay there!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 01:50 PM
susan

Carol - The Casa Marina is a very nice hotel but not in a particularly convenient location. It's normally pretty busy - and during spring break it may be a little wild - but I think you and your teens will love it. There are several transportation options in addition to walking, which would probably get old fast. You can rent bikes or mopeds (be aware that lots of visitors who aren't accustomed to mopeds rent them and have accidents), or you can rely on a shuttle bus. I don't know if the Casa Marina has its own shuttle, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. You won't need to worry about safety as Key West is very safe, especially in Old Town. Most "crimes" have to do with someone who's had too much to drink and lost his/her way home! The only area I'd advise your teens to stay away from is Bahama Village, which can be dicey at times. Have fun!!!

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:42 AM
grglnswsh

Gina and Susan are right. But it is Spring Break here during that time and the larger hotels are the ones that get most of them so you might find the pool area and beach area overrun with them. There is so much for kids to do here, I don't think your kids will be bored for a minute.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:53 AM
J T Kirk

I've been going to the Keys since 1966. I've been there in horrific, near hurricane storms; during the summer with oven-like heat and humidity that knocks you to your knees; and during spring break. Believe me - spring break ain't as bad as some people would have you think. Plus, spring break is spread out over a few weeks (not everyone has spring break at the same time.) There is plenty to do. There's a whole ocean there just waiting. Snorkel, boat, swim, fish, shop, eat, go to the Dry Tortugas (an easy day trip). Key West is really NOT that decadent. Yes, as Susan points out Bahama Village can (sometimes) be dicey, but it's a way cool neighborhood that reflects what the Keys USED to be like. Go see it. Key West is a great walking town (or biking). Be prepared to walk, or bike, from Casa Marina which is a fine, albeit out-of-the-way hotel. Have fun and please ignore the Key West bashers on this site. They are, in a word, idiots.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:12 AM
jmb

Who was bashing Key West? It does get very crazy during Spring Break. Any business owner would agree, especially the bar keepers.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:26 AM
don

I was in Key West last year during spring break and although it was more crowded than the times that I had been there before, I would hardly call the place crazy, especially compared to some other springbreak destinations in Florida that seem to cater to the highschool and college crowds. I had a very enjoyable time. As far as being on the Atlantic side, it is within a walkable distance to the gulfside. I've done it many times, and I'm no longer a youngster. As far as safety, I haven't seen anything in Key West anytime I've been there that would cause safety concerns.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:58 AM
grglnswsh

The big Fla schools are usually let out the first couple weeks in March and it does become crazy down here for that time. The rest of the time, it is usually just a loud rumble. The best advice I can give for anyone coming down during that time is to stay in a B&B that doesn't allow Spring Breakers. But if you are staying in one of the larger hotels/motels, ask for a room away from the common areas (pool, vending/ice machines, etc) so you don't hear the kids coming and going at all hours of the night. Fort Zac is a beach in Old Town that doesn't get as many of the kids as the other beaches so that is usually a better option for someone who wants to lay out but is trying to avoid the college crowd. We are one of the most popular destinations for Florida Schools and when over 150,000 are let out basically at once it does impact us. We are known for carding pretty hard so we tend to get the older college kids. And if any of them get in trouble while they are here, they get very early beach clean up for a part or the rest of their trip.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:40 PM
Sid

I just booked at the Wyndam Casa Marina in March too, maybe we can get our teens together. I spend a lot of time researching our I was going to stay and I think there seems to be a lot of things to do at the resort and you are still close enough to Old Town. Have fun!