Key West Hotels with Ocean Views?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for advice on which Key West hotels have nice ocean views and maybe a balcony. We've stayed at The Marquesa before and loved it. Thinking of pairing it with another spot that has the ocean views we're looking for and maybe an outdoor deck with restaurant. Would love any suggestions that you have. We're pretty flexible on budget since it would probably be a fairly short trip.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:21 PM

The Reach Resort is really nice.
http://www.reachresort.com/
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 07:35 PM

Casa Marina
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:52 AM

On the bay side, the Ocean Key Resort, the Pier House, and the Hyatt Resort and Marina. Of those three, I think the Ocean Key would be the nicest. If you opt for the Pier House, be specific about the room you request, because many face the parking lot.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for these great suggestions, everyone. Do you know if any of these have a tiny bit of beach?
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 02:20 AM

Hi, thanks for providing me information about the Reach Resort.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 03:03 AM

Casa Marina and the Reach both have beaches. Casa Marina's is larger, the Reach's is the only natural beach in Key West. The beach at the Hyatt is teeny, the Ocean Key doesn't have a beach, the one at the Pier House isn't particularly large, but it's nice, and there's a restaurant next to it.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will definitely check these all out. Aren't some of them close to Mallory Square? I'd like to be able to walk to some restaurants if we could.

And I saw one other one that looked interesting - Southernmost on the Beach - what do you guys think of that one?

I appreciate all the help.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 06:41 AM

The "beach" is not easy or close walking to Mallory Square, but certainly doable -- at least from places like the Reach and Southernmost -- quite a long way from Casa Marina.

I'd prefer places more "in the thick of things" -- like The Pier House or the Hyatt which are right downtown and facing "the Gulf" rather than "the Ocean". But as Susan suggests, you give up a major beach there for the "convenience" of being right downtown. There are also a couple nice hotels (Westin?) on the water (not the beach) near Mallory Square, but I've always gone by and thought "those poor people thought they'd have a wonderful view and all they really do is face the huge cruise ships blocking their views".
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

The beach isn't a big priority, nice but not a requirement. The things I think we prioritize more are having a nice dock/pier where you can eat along the water and also being able to be close enough to walk to things.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 06:51 AM

I'd go either Hyatt or Pier House. (I find the Hyatt quieter). Walking distance to quite a number of waterfront dining experiences, and walk to virtually everything else.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 06:55 AM

Ooops, one of the topped posts made me think -- to avoid any confusion, I'm only referring to the Hyatt Resort and Marina on Front Street, not the other Hyatt timeshare places elsewhere.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Gotcha, thanks, it's all starting to make a little more sense. So are the Ocean Key Resort, the Pier House, and the Hyatt all right there together close enough to walk to things and have waterfront dining?

And Reach Resort, Casa Marina, and Southernmost are at the other end of the island?

If anyone has a link to a map of the hotels, that would be great too.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:06 PM

I used to have a really good map of Key West hotels, but it's apparently gone. Here's a link to another one. If you scroll over the hotel, it'll give you the name.

And to answer your question, Ocean Key is at the foot of Duval, next to it is the Pier House, and next to it is the Hyatt Resort and Marina.

Reach, Casa Marina, and other Southernmost properties are on the Atlantic at the other side of the island. I hope this link will work. I'm going to get another link to hotels...
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:07 PM

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&ved=0CPoBEMgT
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:13 PM

On this map, you'll have to scroll out a little in order for the hotels on the bay side to appear. (Ocean Key Resort, Pier House, and Hyatt Resort and Marina). All these, by the way, are only steps from Mallory Square, and Ocean Key actually abuts the square.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Susan. This will really help. I love the look of Ocean Key. Well, they all look pretty good!
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Leaning towards Ocean Key or Pier House. I really like the location of those. Are they pretty comparable in terms of room quality and service? And do both of them have waterside dining?

The map is awesome and really helped.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 10:03 AM

Both Ocean Key and Pier House have waterside dining. Ocean Key not only has a fine dining restaurant (Hot Tin Roof), http://www.oceankey.com/key-west-restaurant.aspx
but another very popular, very casual restaurant, http://www.oceankey.com/key-west-sunset-pier.aspx

Pier House has the Harbour View Cafe (which we prefer at lunch, because for some strange reason we've always had better food and service than at night) http://www.pierhouse.com/Dining/
And the Beach Bar & Grille...very casual,and right next to the beach.

We haven't stayed at Ocean Key in quite a while, and it's undergone renovations since then, but if you could live without a beach, it'd probably be my first choice. We own timeshares at the Galleon (next door to the Hyatt) so we don't need to book rooms very often.

Let me add that all these hotels on Front Street are only steps away from LOTS of restaurants. Key West Bight is packed with them, and they're all very close to the hotels you're considering. And Duval ends at Ocean Key Resort.

I'm excited for you! Ocean Key is owned by Noble House, the group that also owns Little Palm Island, arguably one of the finest hotel/spas in the country. littlepalmisland.com If we ever win the lottery we might spend a couple of nights there And the Pier House is wonderful, too, especially if you can get one of their newer rooms.

I really feel guilty for completely ignoring the Westin, which is next to Ocean Key. I have no personal experience with it, other than thinking their gazpacho is the world's best. I don't hear much about the hotel other than a few complaints about cruise ships docking in front and blocking the view. In other words, I'm not a great source of info about the Westin. Well, okay, here's another thing I need to throw in. The Westin also manages the Cottages at Sunset Key, which is a luxury resort that's just 8 minutes by ferry from Key West. We've only been over there to eat dinner at Latitudes and have never seen the cottages, but years and years ago Oprah Winfrey had a big birthday bash there and brought all her friends in to celebrate with her http://www.westinsunsetkeycottages.com/

Whatever you decide I know you'll have fun! My travel experience has been that if someone wants to be happy, have fun, do interesting stuff, they'll do it every time! It's obvious from your inquisitive nature that you're in great shape
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Susan and everyone else for all this great info. I appreciate it so much. I'm sure I'll be back to ask about restaurants, tours, and all that good stuff. I know we'll love it no matter where we end up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -