Search

Key West Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:41 AM
nancy

Key West Hotels

I am going to Key West for a weekend in August and I need help choosing a hotel. I have narrowed it down to either the Wyndam Reach Resort or La Concha. I really want to stay somewhere nice, with a pool, near Duval Street. Please help! Thanks.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:51 PM
susan

In my opinion, the location of the La Concha is far superior to that of the Reach. I know it's recently been remodeled but I don't know anything about the pool.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:59 PM
MAry

As far as pool I think you are better off in the Hyatt, Pierhouse, or Hilton. They all have great locations and nice pools. However, La Concha is right in the middle of Duval Street and unless you have a room high up you might not be able to see the ocean, the hotel is not huge so the pool is no big deal. The former hotels are all on Duval OR a few blocks from Duval about 1 (one) min walking distance. Don't frget that downtown KW is very small.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Nancy

Thanks for the info. I am going to look into the Hilton. If anyone has stayed at the there, please let me know how it was? Thanks.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:06 PM
slimmy

Go to Wyndhams if your loaded!!!

I was ther last year it wasn't anything special even though i got caught up in the hurricane warning in august, there are much better hotels available!!!!

if wyndhams are reding this perhaps you might like to send me some compimentary tickets to try and change my mind.

Cheers

pete

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 01:06 AM
John

In key west you can't beat the Hilton. The view, the rooms the private island you get to go to on their motor launch. You won't believe how many people on other side all crammed together. When we were there 2 yrs ago they even had a free night option in the summer!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:10 AM
John

In a place like Key West I do NOT want to stay in a big generic boxy hotel. I love the fact that KW has so many quaint, romantic guest houses and B&Bs to choose from. They tend to be less expensive than the hotels, too, and have a heck of a lot more character. I realize some people (my dad included!) love chain hotels but not me!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:29 AM
J T Kirk

To carry on with what John (NoSpam) said, the big hotels DO generally offer nice facilities, access to a well maintained (but small) beach, and have a restaurant built in. And though many of the big hotels are very, very nice, they do lack (IMO) the charm of the smaller places, such as The Gardens Hotel, Marquesa, Eaton Lodge and the like. Most of the smaller places are in old, but superbly renovated houses, and the management of these places are (generally) very helpful and extremely pleasant (which is unlike most of the big places, where you're just a number. Usually, anyway.) But it's all a matter of perference, I suppose. pros and cons to both. Have fun.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Regina

Unfortunately, we had some friends who stayed at La Concha a few years ago and said it was the most aweful place they ever stayed. They were remodeling and the room was terrible with towels and newspaper on the windows instead of drapes. Many other dissappointments as well. You may want to check into this. The Wyndam has a lovely beach.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 01:21 PM
CA

Same message I sent to another inquiry. The Wicker (around the 900 Block of Duval) is a nice B&B made up of several small buildings around a courtyard and pool. It has nice rooms, quiet setting, continental breakfast and off street parking.