Search

Key West Dining

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West Dining

Any suggestions or comments on restaurants on restaurnats that are not too far from Mallory Square? I have been looking at One Duval, Hot Tin Roof,Nicola Seafood and the Cafe Marquesa for a special occassion (anniversary) dinner. Any comments on any of these or suggestions of another restaurant?
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 07:12 AM

We ate at a great restaurant called Two Fish. Not exactly sure of location - we took a cab, but it wasn't too far away.

Good luck!
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM

don - I would NOT recommend Hot Tin Roof. We've eaten there a couple of times and the food simply wasn't very good. Frankly, I'm not crazy about Nicola either and the Marquesa gets spotty reviews (we ate there once and while it was good, it wasn't good enough for a return visit).

Is there any particular reason you want to be VERY close to Mallory Square? Key West is a great walking town and there are some very good restaurants you can easily walk to that aren't in the immediate vicinity of Mallory Square. Alice's - at the other end of Duval - is wonderful. So is Michael's.

If you're tied to being near Mallory Square I prefer the restaurant on the water at the Hilton.

travelfly - the restaurant you're thinking of is Seven Fish!
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 12:26 PM

I forgot to mention One Duval. In past years, the Pier House restaurant has been a favorite of ours, but we haven't eaten at One Duval since their renovation. When we checked their menu it seemed very overpriced. (It may've changed since then)

Another option for you might be the A&B Lobster House, which is just down from One Duval at the end of Front Street. The best seats there are on the balcony overlooking Key West Bight.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 12:53 PM

IMHO the best place for an anniversary dinner, hands down, is Louie's Backyard. You will need to take a taxi, but trust me, it will be worth it!

Reservations are necessary--aim for sitting down around sunset.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:19 PM

The Rooftop Cafe on Front Street and Fitzpatrick St. (had the best Monte Cristo sandwich there for lunch during Fantasy Fest). decent wine list
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:54 PM

My husband & I enjoyed Mangoes on Duval and El Siboney but you need to walk or drive there.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 06:50 AM

There are lots of great restaurants in KW. 7 Fish is good, but the room is just too small. You are being bumped into all through the meal. The New York Pasta Garden in Duval Square has great Italian food and a very nice atmosphere. And Louie's Backyard is awesome, although quite expensive. My fiance and I had my birthday dinner there and it was nearly $200. There is a great listing of KW restaurants at http://www.gotothekeys.com/key_west_restaurant.htm
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 12:46 PM

You are going to have to take a cab!
We loved Alices and 915 (Duval). But if you want to look at the water you have to stumble over to Louies Backyard!!!! Louies is the most romantic. Alices is the most creative. 915 was simply lovely and had fantastically fresh gourmet dishes (small plates).
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 02:29 PM

I've got to put in my vote for the Marquesa - fine dining w/ gourmet food - why not check out their menus on the web before you go to see which one sounds more to your liking? I usually do a search and find most menus for the hotels before I travel. Good luck
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM

El Siboney is GREAT for inexpensive Cuban food but is not an anniversary type place. While Louies has excellent food, I don't like "attitude" with my dinner, esp. at those prices.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM

I've never had problems with feeling crowded at Seven Fish, but it is a tiny place. Personally, I'd head up Duval to Alice's for a special dinner. Excellent food and a nice atmosphere. And unless you really can't walk very far, I'd walk up there. Take your time and enjoy all the shops and great people watching. If you get tired, stop somewhere for a drink. Jean
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 03:06 PM

Another vote for 7 Fish. We loved it. We took one of the bicycle cabs there and walked back to our hotel.