Search

Key West Confusion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Steve

Key West Confusion

I'm considering a family vacation for March and I was hoping someone can enlighten me about the Casa Marina. Is it Marriott's or Wyndham's? Also, is the Resort separate from the Beach House, and if so, what's the difference in accommodations? Wyndham's web site is awful.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Owen O'Neill

I can't address the specifics but I do know that the facility that operated under the Marriot name now carries the Wyndham name due to some sort of merger or acquisition (all the Marriots in my area have now become Wyndhams also).

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Sharon

I'm a marriott shareholder and have a kazillion points with them so I called investors service. Marriott owns no properties in Key West except for the Fairfield Inn. The Wyndham bought the properties and runs them as well. The Casa Marina was very expensive for Marriott to operate and had way too many freebie stays from the rewards program. Maybe Wyndham has the bucks for the upgrades needed to make these top notch facilities again. I think the Reach resort that they bought a while back was a big drag to them. Too bad, no more cheapo trips to Key West for me. If I have to spend my own money I'll go to the Pier House or one of the luxury B&Bs.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Sharon

If you are going to spend the money for a stay at this resort, just pick up the phone and call the general manager at the Casa Marina. They should be able to answer your questions and if they are worth their pay, you should get a lovely fruit basket when you arrive and perhaps dinner on the house. You can ask if they are renovating, are there discounts for certain wings not yet upgraded, etc. etc. As long as your tone is positive and inquisitive, you usually can get a good response. My questions regarding a recent stay in Fort Lauderdale and construction on a nearby bridge resulted in complementary breakfasts and a gift certificate applicable for a future stay. I did not talk with the manager to complain but to just inquire regarding the status of the hotel during this time.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 07:21 PM
topsy

Up up & away!

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 11:04 AM
Steve

Thanks, it's clear that they are Wyndham, and what used to be the Marriott Reach is the Beach House part of the resort. From what it sounds like, though, the place needs some fixing up.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 02:28 PM
susan

If you're interested in trying something on the Gulf side, I could suggest several other places. We've stayed at the Hyatt, which is family oriented and in the thick of activities. Next door to it is the Galleon, which is our favorite - a timeshare but with weekly rentals. Great balcony views of the marina, fully-equipped kitchens and washing machines and dryers. We'll probably never stay anyplace else again. Two other good possibilies are the Ocean Key House, which is being renovated and has a wide variety of accommodations, so you'll have to ask specifics about what they have available, and the Pier House, which also has a variety of rooms. These four are in a row on Front Street, which is a perfect location. I think these all have web sites...the one for the Galleon is galleonresort.com

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 03:25 AM
JoAnn

Try WWW.KEYWEST.COM they have an extensive listing-with pictures and rates-for many of the hotels, motels, resorts, B & B's and Inns in Key West.