Search

Key West Beaches

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 01:33 PM
maur

Key West Beaches

Are Key West beaches free from e. coli contamination now?

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 01:41 PM
Maxine

I checked the website a couple of days ago and they are still contaminated.

The url is:http://www.fla-keys.com/

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 02:53 PM
susan

I've been hearing different "facts" on whether the beaches were contaminated so advised an online friend to call either the Chamber of Commerce and/or the local newspaper for the inside scoop. Apparently the water on the south side of Key West is still contaminated (including Smathers Beach) but the water on the Gulf side is testing okay.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 04:12 PM
Paul

I am planning an October acation at the Sheraton Suites acoss from Smathers Beach. Is the contamination likely to occur in October? Is it affecting only swimming or is the water supply and air also a problem? Any suggestions for another hotel if I have to change?

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 05:42 PM
susan

Paul - since you have so much time before your trip I'd advise you to at least consider staying somewhere in Old Town, which is where the "action" is in Key West. All the sunset activities and most of the restaurants and touristy things are much closer to the Gulf, whereas the Sheraton Suites are on the Atlantic. As for the contamination, it has no effect on the air or water supply...it's apparently caused by the sewage lines being so close to sea level. I know it sounds awful, but it's an ongoing problem and is being constantly worked on.

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Brian in Atlanta

For those not familiar with Key West, please note that it is not known for its beaches. They all all man-made and even the best beach on Key West will pale in comparison to the worst on the mainland.

That said, Key West is still a great destination for its laidback lifestyle, great restaurants and bars and water sports (that don't involve a beach). Do stay in or around Old Town or you won't get that "I'm in Key West" feeling.