Key West B&B help

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West B&B help

We are trying to decide between the Curry Mansion, Eden House, Herron House or Gardens Hotel. Gardens HOtel seems to be a lot more expensive. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:26 PM

Go for the Heron House or The Gardens Hotel. We haven't stayed at either but they sound wonderful and get nice reviews. They sound like 2 of the top b&bs there.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:10 PM

We were recently in KW for a week and checked out a couple B&B's. Ambrosia House & Ambrosia Too were great looking and very close to all the action while being on a side street off Duval. Unfortunately, we stayed at Eaton Lodge, and I wouldn't recommend it at all. The Marquesa was very beautiful, but was expensive.

We walked through the downstairs of the Curry Mansion, and the people seemed very nice (couldn't see any rooms because they hadn't been made up or had guests.) The staff was cordial and welcomed us to walk around. The backyard is small and the common area of the house is not air conditioned. We know someone who always stays at Curry Mansion whenever they visit Key West, so it had a good recommendation.

While there, I can recommend a couple nice restaurants:

Opera (hard to find, but on Duval St)
they serve upper scale Italian (delicious)

La Te Da has a wonderful restaurant, expensive but worth the price. They also have a wonderful piano bar. This is an upper-scale gay bar that is not to be missed! If you want to see a good drag show, check out what is happening upstairs, they have a classy show.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:32 PM

We've stayed at both Heron House (twice) and the Marquesa.
The Heron House is really lovely and priced reasonably, but both times we were there, we felt we were not received warmly as guests, and I've seen other trip reports to that effect.
I was especially perturbed when we got the same treatment as return guests!
Too bad, because the property is so nice, but I don't know if we'll go back.
The Marquesa is wonderful as long as you eat elsewhere. (Rest. is over-priced and not that good.)
I never stayed at Curry Mansion because I did not like the idea of non-guests trooping around the property while I'm trying to relax. (They have tours.)
Regardless of where you choose, you'll love Key West. I never get tired of going there, and it's a fun, party town.
Have a great time!

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:36 PM

The Curry mansion is haunted so this may help you decide for or against depending on your tastes.