Kentucky Derby Party-Menu Ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby & I are hosting a Derby Party here in Washington State. Looking for menu ideas that are of a southern fare theme. I plan on having ham (need a bourbon sauce recipe for that, however), potato salad & what else? Thought about deviled eggs & pimento cheese (homemade) dip for veggies & crackers + shrimp & possibly oysters on the half shell for appetizers. Will make a Ky Derby pie (know how to do that), but dinner needs something more. Any ideas for menu as well as pools or betting?
Thanks,
Jean
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:12 AM

Mint juleps!! Devilled eggs would be good. My parents used to go to the Derby every year. I'd probably add some asparagus or green beans (haricots verts) for some green and a veggie, whether 'traditional' or not. Envy your west coast oysters!!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:13 AM

Oh, you need to have biscuits with your ham. Make a spread of some butter, brown sugar and a little mustard to put on them.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:41 AM

I suggest this be reposted to Lounge for more replies; that's where this really should be as it is off topic, though sort of travel related.

[Or you can hit the grey triangle and ask moderator to move it.]
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 10:23 AM

You need to have Hot Browns.http://www.yumsugar.com/Brown-Hotels...Recipe-6481374
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM

& you have to use Maker's Mark in your Mint juleps.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Use Buffalo Trace Bourbon, not Makers. If you think Makers' is awesome, why waste it in a mixed drink? If you don't think Makers' is best bourbon widely available, why pay more when you can have Buffalo Trace (which, for the price is far better value than most other major bourbon brands) for less?
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Never heard of it. Where is it made--honestly interested here.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:01 PM

I don't drink Juleps (why waste any good bourbon on a Mint Julep) but it IS the bourbon if you are doing a Derby party. I don't drink cheap bourbon either & am a former resident of Louisville - Here you go G - http://www.buffalotrace.com/home2.html
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:48 PM

You should also serve fresh strawberries. And asparagus for your green vegetable.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Despite my nom de plume I live in Western KY. Bourbon Trace is one of the most underrecognized distilleries, where they produce both Buffalo Trace and Ancient Age bourbon. Ancient Age is a family secret - not a connoseur's brand but fine sipping whiskey. And not a mint leaf in sight . . .

When I wrote food stories for a major Southern newspaper, the classic Derby brunch consisted of lot of gorgeous red long-stemmed roses along with Benedictine (a cucumber and cream cheese appetizer), corn pudding, beef tenderloin, asparagus, some sort of cornmeal-based bread (beaten biscuit as an alternative), and the classic chocolate-chip pecan pie formerly known and now copywrited as Derby Pie -- although I have what I believe is the orignal and most perfect recipe.

Happy to share. But seriously, hot Brown is NOT a classic Derby food -- although it's a fine thing in its own right.

Enjoy!

I know the times have changed but some things are still the perfect celebratory meal.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM

I am from Kentucky and the week long celebration always included a buried pig and Burgoo. Burgoo is stew made with many meats including some Country ham, chicken and venison with southern veggies. Here is one link, but you can google Kentucky burgoo to get many. www.starchefs.com/features/2001/triple_crown/htm
We did drink mint juleps too. Have to have at least one in a silver julep cup.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM

- I bought a red carpet from my local party store - for the front and back staircases.
- Bought Derby glasses on Ebay
- Bought paper products at the Derby store
- Bought assorted postcards of Lexington on Ebay
- Printed the words (large) for My Old Kentucky Home for handouts
-Printed signs: Backdoor had "Jockey's Entrance only" / My patio was "The Paddock" / Dining Room = "Clubhouse" and Family Room w/TV = "The Infield"
Had a lot of fun with the details.....
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 05:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Your menu has to be country ham (sugar cured, not salt cured) from Critchfield's (they ship).
http://www.critchfieldmeats.com/prod...&category_id=3

You also need beaten biscuits which are a bit of an acquired taste. Critchfield's sells these too, but I'm not sure if they make them.
http://www.critchfieldmeats.com/prod...category_id=17

Salads either bibb lettuce or wilted spinach salad with fresh sliced mushrooms, red onion, sliced hard-cooked eggs and hot vinegar/bacon dressing. Asparagus and strawberries are usually served too.

Start with mint juleps. These should not be sweet (you're adding too much simple syrup if they are). I believe Early Times bourbon is the official bourbon of the Derby.

Our local paper always prints the field in color with numbers, silks, owners, trainers info, etc. We get multiple copies, clip them out and put one complete set in each pot (there are usually around twenty horses). Some pots are $1, some $5, but you can make them the amount you want.You will need to mark each entry as to which pot before the draw (pot 1, pot 1, etc. so you will know the payoff) Anyone wanting in, pays their money and draws out a horse (blind draw - you don't get to pick which horse). We only pay the winner, but you could give the winner half, and split the other half of the pot between 2nd and 3rd place horses.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Bless you all! I appreciate your help, and keep it coming.
Yes, we planned on Mint Juleps, although I don't know anyone who actually likes them. Jbass, thank you for your ideas about the pots--that is similar to what we were thinking, and kybourbon, thank you for your details on menu. Thanks to everyone for taking the time, and if anyone else wants to jump in, no detail will go unnoticed. I want this party (my first) to be a smash. When I lived in Ky and Texas my parents had a Ky Derby party every year, but I did not pay attention, and now they aren't around to ask.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

topping--More info or ideas, please
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Well how about cupcakes with the tops decorated to look like ladies' hats? I went to a Derby party one year and that's what they did and it was adorable.
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to let you know that the party was a huge success. We had 20 guests + ourselves. I served homemade pimento cheese with crackers, veggies & dip, shrimp, & deviled eggs for appetizers. Dinner consisted of ham, biscuits, potato salad, strawberry & spinach salad, roasted parmesan asparagus & Kentucky Derby Pie. I made copies of My Old Kentucky Home and everyone loved singing it! I made signs as suggested for infield, clubhouse, paddock with cut-outs of horse racing attached. My centerpiece was a scupture of a horse head with a mint julep cup containing roses on either side, roses all throughout the house, and I hung brightly colored sheer tablecoths in the entry (very high ceilings) to represent the silks. We had a hat contest and several betting type things. Everyone wants to do it again next year!
Thanks to all who made suggestions!
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:12 PM

The party sounds lovely! I will await the Fodors Forum invitation!
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 07:28 AM

Topping for 2013. Anyone planning a Derby party? We are having one-my version of Derby Pie for sure with Country Ham and biscuits, Mint Juleps (polished the silver cups yesterday). Still planning the rest of the menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -