Kauai-Where to stay?

Search

Kauai-Where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai-Where to stay?

Message: We are planning our honeymoon to Hawaii and are staying on Kauai for 6 days, 2 of which we are staying in Kokee to hike. For the other 4, we can't choose between Poipu area and the Kappa area. Any suggestions? We would like to be within walking distance of restaurants, shops, etc.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:19 PM

When are you going?

Why are you not considering staying the north shore?

If you have not done so already, I would spend some time researching the island.

We will be going back for our third trip in as many years next July and will be staying in Hanalei in a rental. I loved the vibe in Hanalei. It will be our first time staying on the north shore and I am really excited about it.

We've stayed in Poipu at a friend's house and loved it, but ended up spending the bulk of our time at the beaches on the north shore, so we figured we would stay there this time.
-Bill

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:56 PM

We didn't actually stay there, but we REALLY liked the Marriott in Lihue. Duke's is right there, too!!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 08:48 PM
j12

We are staying at the Kauai Coast Resort in Kapaa.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

We are going in March. I've heard that the North Coast is somewhat secluded and nothing is within walking distance. Is that not the case? We'd like to split our time between the beach and other activites. Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Have stayed in both POipu and Kapa'a. Kapa'a is busy, traffic etc. Poipu is much quieter and closer to swimmable beaches. Both have restaurants within walking distance or only a few minutes by car. We stayed in Poipu Kai and Brennecke's was about two hundred yards away, for example, the first little beach was about half that. What time of year are you planning to go ?
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:43 PM

I would rec: the Kauai Hyatt above any other place we have stayed on the island. It is not walking distance to shops but you will need a car anyway. It is quiet and beautiful.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 11:34 PM

In March, the North Shore, while stunning, is often rainy. You'll get more consistent sunshine in Poipu area.
I LOVE the Kauai Hyatt also. It is worth every cent of the room cost!!
For walking distance convenience to shops, restaurants, etc, best bet is, indeed, Kapaa. But will you not have a rental car?
From Poipu area (including Hyatt) it's only about a 20 minute drive to the big mall in Lihue, and less to the shops and restaurnats in Koloa.
I stayed at a cabin in Kokee alsofor two days. Had a ball, but after that, was VERY ready for "civilization" as there's nothing up there in the way of food 'cept the Lodge.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:30 AM

I also recommend the Hyatt. We've stayed lots of places all over the world, and this resort remains our absolute favorite. The hotels grounds/pools are wonderful.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Yes, parts of the north shore are secluded and rural. The place we staying at in Hanalei is within walking distance of "beautiful downtown Hanalei" and all it has to offer. If you stayed at Princeville you would be within walking distance of shops, stores, etc, etc...and the Princeville Hotel. I would try Poipu and get around the island as much as you can. Be careful of slippery and muddy trails at Kokee that time of year. It could be very wet. Have a great time.
-Bill
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:57 AM
kd

we stayed on the north shore in June. absolutely loved it! we stayed within the Princeville Resort at a private condo. here is the link -

www.nakearentals.com
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:23 AM

We stayed at the sheraton and loved it. It is the closest hotel to the beach, and was clean and friendly with several places to eat on the property and nearby. The Hyatt was also great. Check for deals, our room at the time was only 199. A DEAL for all you get.