Reload this Page >

Kauai--Where to stay??

Search

Kauai--Where to stay??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 04:30 PM
Dennis Eberly

Kauai--Where to stay??

My wife & I have been to Oahu several times and to Maui once. Am considering staying in Kauai for several days next January. Has anyone stayed at either the Hyatt Regency or the Sheraton Kauai? I've read that the Hyatt is probably the nicest property around, but maybe the Sheraton has the nicest beach? Any other thoughts??

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 07:30 PM
Susan

We just returned from Maui and Kauai. We chose to
stay at the Marriott and we were very pleased with
it. It's in a harbor and in a very good location
for visiting the whole island. There was nothing
fabulous about the place, but we found the room, the
pool, and the beach to be just fine. And the deal
included a wonderful buffet breakfast each morning.
We checked out the Hyatt and it is just beautiful.
The pool is lushley landscaped with lagoons, etc.
If you are looking for plush accommodations, I'd
recommend this hotel. Do drive all over the island.
It is fabulous. We did a helicopter tour first and
spent every day driving somewhere different. Have
lunch outside at the Princeville Hotel. Drive to
Waimea Canyon. Have a great time!

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 07:51 PM
Sam

I have stayed at both hotels and would recommend the Hyatt as one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. We have stayed at many larger resort hotels and now use the Kauai Hyatt Regency as our index of "fabulous". I know it has been rated as one of the top ten island resorts in the world by Conte Naste. There is a small beach located next to the property and one not far up the road that is good for snorkeling, but with the extensive pools (both fresh water and salt water) and grounds butting right up to the ocean, you won't miss a huge beach. One other additional plus to staying at the Hyatt is that it is located on the sunniest portion of the island. Enjoy Kauai - we favor Kauai over all the other islands!

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 03:52 PM
dennis eberly

Sam: thanks for the information. You mentioned that you had stayed at both hotels. Can you tell us anything about the Sheraton? How does it rate against the Marriott and/or Hyatt? Thnks. DE

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 06:14 PM
annemarie

The Sheraton was not completed when we were there 2 years ago, so I can't comment. The Hyatt we stayed at and it was quite gorgeous and I would recommend it highly. The beach is not swimmable, however. The Marriott has a great setting within the hotel but quite dumpy outside of it. Would not recommend staying here. What about a couple nights at the Hyatt and them some up at the Princeville. We were wuite upset we didn't stay at the Princeville Hotel longer. None of the agents really knew a lot about the area.The sunsets are to die for the the hotel is really classy. I know a way you can get 35percent off this property, so if you have an interest or any more questions please feel free to email me. annemarie

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 11:23 PM
Marla

Try visiting Kauai. In January it may rain more, but it is still warm and beautiful. There is a lot to see and do as well. If you like hiking there is a great 11 mile trail at the end of the road up the Na Pali Coast. The views are awesome. Staying at the Princeville Hotel is grand, classy but kind of costly. There are less expensive places as well like The Cliffs and Hanalei Bay Resort, all are in the Princeville area. I am sure you will like Kauai, the pace is slower here and it is very green! Aloha

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 06:13 AM
jcs

Hanalei Bay Resort:

Just returned from there last week. The room was dirty and the AC didn't work very well and the staff was somewhat rude, but,... the view was amazing for the $. Probably would stay else where next time.

jcs

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 10:48 PM
Tomi

EASY ONE HERE: The Hyatt! I've never stayed at a nicer hotel. I've had nicer rooms, but overall this hotel is to die for!

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 10:02 PM
pat

I've stayed at the Hyatt, Sheraton and Princeville Hotel (which is a Sheraton property)). We love the Hyatt--although it is getting costly, they do have some packages. IF you can, their club floor really makes the vacation. It also allows free access to the Anara spa for exercise classes. The Hyatt also participates in the Amerian Airlines frequent flyer program so if you have a frequent flyer ticket--check the hotel coupon that comes with it. It allows a buy one night/get one night at the Hyatt. Doesn't include the club floor, but a good deal. Sometimes they will allow you to pay for the upgrade.

Old Aug 23rd, 1998, 11:48 PM
reb

Stayed 4 nights in July at Hanalei Bay Resort, incredibly friendly, helpful staff and immaculate room--wonder if previous responder had a rare bad experience. The area outside the Marriott is fine, but the hotel seems a bit TOO MUCH. The Hyatt--the perfect mix of everything except cost. Yipes!!!Would appreciate any other responses that would also include tips on avoiding their 300 dollar minimum rack rate.

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 10:34 AM
sandi

to reb: I think the easiest way to get cheap hotel rates anywhere is to check out fly/drive/hotel package rates, as the companies involved offer reduced rates as incentives to purchase the stay! We check with travel agents, and always check travel club packages (ABC Tours, etc). I guess you guys could look for packages that offer a stay at the Hyatt.

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 04:13 PM
Ed

Aloha Dennis!Just returned from 3 weeks
on Kauai. Half was spent on the north
shore. Stayed at Hanalei Bay Resort.Our
second time in as many years. The place
is a great bargain. Had a one bedroom
suite. You get a full breakfast and two
afternoon cocktails. On the south shore stayed at the Sheraton Kauai. Beautiful
resort. Very peaceful. Some rooms are on
the beach while others are across the street. Their restaurant scored top marks with us. It has a beautiful view
of the ocean. We'll be back again! Aloha! Ed