Search

Kauai Trip report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Trip report

Returned from trip-September 11th thru the 18th. Loved it! Kauai is so relaxing and beautiful. Stayed at the Kauai Coast Resort in Kapaa. Had a 1 bedroom oceanfront that I got through a timeshare owner. We were about 100 feet from the ocean- great view! The rooms were large, full kitchen, large bathroom w/washer and dryer, bedroom w/ patio doors to lanai, and living room. Very updated and island style furnishings. Paid $180.00 a night. The grounds were gorgeous, well kept and full of plants and flowers. They light Tiki torches every night. The hotel restaurant is excellent and on a torch lit lanai. We slept with our patio doors open every night listening to the waves. I miss them!! Had 3 monk seals beach themselves right infront of our building during the week. I didn't see one anywhere else. We couldn't believe it. The Coconut Market Place is right across the street. Nice place to shop- over 60 stores.
We went to the north shore the first day. Saw the light house, many beaches, queen's bath and the town of Hanalei. Had lunch at Zelo's-very cute and good food.
The next day we went to the East Coast waterfalls-two you can just see from the road, but Kipu is a short tail w/a 30' waterfall that has a large pool at the bottom that you can jump into. Tours are brought there. My husband jumped in over the waterfall and along side it off a rope swing. Fun!! Spent the afternoon at the resort pool and beach. Had a late dinner at Tidepool's. Excellent food. I wish I could have had a table on the edge to enjoy the water and the fish. Our table was more in the center of the restaurant, but still a very nice atmosphere.
The next day we took a helicopter flight with Heli-USA out of Princeville. It had rained 5 inches the night before. The gray skies weren't great for pictures but we did get to see TONS of waterfalls- many the pilot said would only last a day or two. Spent the afternoon at Lydgate Beach in Kappa. Had dinner at Coconuts in Kapaa. Very cute and great food.
The following day we went to the south shore beaches. Manalupe is fabulous- at the end of the road past the Hyatt- a must see. We got shave ice from Jo Jo's. Very good. We drove up to the canyon. Gorgeous. Took the hike to Waipoo falls-2-3 hours but loved it.
The next day we got up early to go on a rafting tour of the Na Pali Coast w/a beach landing, sea caves and snorkeling. We drove to Port Allen but it was a rainy, windy day and we were told no beach landing, sea caves or snorkeling, only a raft ride. We opted out and went back to the hotel for more sleep. Tried to find sun on the south shore but no luck. We stopped a Hilo Hatties. Also knew our hike from Kee beach planned for Saturday would be too muddy. A disappointing day.
On our last day the sun was shining!!! We had our hotel concierge book a catameran sunset cruise from Port Allen. We spent the morning and early afternoon at Salt Pond Beach in Waimea. Really nice beach. The boat cruise was fantastic. A better choice for us.
Before leaving for the airpost the following afternoon we walked our beach, laid in the hammock for awhile, did a little more shopping at the Coconut Market Place, and had lunch.
Fantastic trip even though we had one rain day. Went by waaay too fast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:15 PM

I'm glad you had a good time. Also you re-posted it right.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Too bad you had so many rainy days. Did you take the Holoholo Cat barefoot cruise?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

We took a catameran sunset cruise with Blue Dolpin leaving from Port Allen. The boat, crew, food, and views were excellent. It was 4 hours, plenty long, but I can see if you left from the north you would see the Na Pali Coast right away rather than the west side which is not as picturesque.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Thanks for posting. Sounds like an great trip.

-Bill