Kauai: shopping and transportation info

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:50 PM
ssm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai: shopping and transportation info

Hi Folks,

If this thread shows twice, my apologies. The first one I sent did not seem to take.

We (a family of five) will be at the Grand Hyatt next month. This vacation is more about pure relaxation and resort life. As a result, we are taking a private van tour of the island but besides that, we are looking to stay around the resort.

Given my objective and plan for a tour, do we really need a car? I would just as soon get a shuttle to and from the airport and not have to hassle with renting a car. Are taxis generally available in the area where we will be staying?

Also, can someone tell me the store (ABC type) closest to the Grand Hyatt for items such as snacks, sodas, beer, etc?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Unlike Honolulu and Maui which have many, Kauai only has 3 ABC stores. One is near the Nawiliwili Bay so the cruise passengers frequent it. There's one in Kapaa and I don't know where the 3rd one is.

Personally I can't imagine being on Kauai without a car. You'd have to eat your meals at the hotel as public transport is not convenient to where you will be.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Can't think of any stores close to the Hyatt, not within walking distance anyway. You can get snacks and drinks at Hyatt concessions.

There is an ABC at Kauai Village Shopping Center (Safeway) as well as one in Kapaa town at the main intersection across from Beezer's Ice Cream or Olympic Cafe approximately.

The ABC store at Nawiliwili Harbor is the closest to the Hyatt by about 20 minutes. There is a Whalers General Store in the Poipu Shopping Center which is very much like an ABC.

I, too, cannot imagine being on Kauai without a car. Lihue airport is probably the easiest airport anywhere to pick up a car and be on your way without a hassle. It is really too beautiful on each side of the island not to be out and about. Aside from the van tour I think you will be anxious to return later to some of their stops to see more than just Poipu...unless all five are totally wiped out, just need to hole up and veg out, and are not easily bored. Swimming, golf and tennis will be right at your fingertips, however.

The closest market for the items you describe is Sueoka's in Koloa town about a 5-10 minute drive from the Hyatt. Regular supermarkets nearest the Hyatt are toward Lihue: Kukui Grove Shopping Center (Star Market) and in Lihue (Big Save or WalMart).

There are taxis/shuttles (mostly van type vehicles) all over the island, most owned by the drivers. Southshore Cab is out your way: 808-742-1525

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM

We've stayed at the Grand Hyatt four times and always had a car, even just to go down the road to restaurants in the evening. The Hyatt has a couple nice restaurants, but you will want to try others in Poipu: Roy's, Beach House, Keoki's Paradise, etc.

There are two ABC type stores in each wing of the Hyatt where we buy our snacks, water, plastic mats for floating in the lagoon, etc.

Never saw taxi's lined up waiting for passengers at the entrance to the hotel like they are in Waikiki, but did see limo's drop off guests with luggage from the airport. The Valet guys probably call a taxi as needed for guests.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 03:49 AM

We did not think it was a hassle renting a car on Kauai. I would think that it might cost about the same as what you are paying for your tour. It would be much more of a hassle to not have a car. I would much rather drive to the island--Northshore,Waimea Canyon, the many beautiful beaches, myself and not take a tour. Restaurants, shopping etc. are much easier with a car.

The Hyatt is beautiful and will be a wonderful place to relax and spend most of your time, but you will miss some fun and beautiful places without a car.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 03:56 AM

As others have said, I can't imagine staying in Kauai w/out a car. Far from a hassle, I really enjoy driving around the island. I find it relaxing. Highly recommend!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Kauai really isn't a "stay at the resort" type of place. You'd really be doing yourself a disservice by limiting your trip to the Hyatt. I've heard it's a beautiful resort, don't get me wrong, but you won't experience Kauai from your resort. Plus as others have mentioned you'll probably want a car just for traveling to restaurants for dinner.

If you end up not renting a car, do yourself a favor and at least experience the island from land, sea and air. Kauai is truly a magical place, but it's the island itself and people that make it special. Not the fancy resorts.