Reload this Page >

Kauai -- Sheraton, Radisson, Marriott, or Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Jay

I'm planning a honeymoon to Kauai in late September. Which of the above resorts / condos would you recommend / rule out? I know some of you will think this is redundant (sorry), but I've read about 200 messages on this message board, and I still can't get a good feel. Here are my concerns from the research: Sheraton -- only worth it if ocean front; Marriott -- noisy location (airport), and possible construction (?); Radisson -- not as nice and unswimable beach; Kiahuna -- not as many amenities and noisy if close to construction area. Can anyone shed light on these concerns and make any recommendations? Thanks.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Suzie

Was in Kauai in September 2001. Would rule out Radisson. Not impressed with it's location or it's look at all. Sheraton has a split. Some of it is on one side of the road some on the other. Where will you be? Ocean side?

Visited the Marriott. Thought the grounds were beautiful and it's on bay. Didn't think the noise from the airport was noticeable.

It's a tough decision making plans for a honeymoon. I planned ours for an anniversary and wanted it to be really special. Of the places you listed I give a big thumbs up to the Marriott. Get the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook if you haven't already picked it up. They rate this resort as a real gem. Good luck.

Rent a convertible!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:25 AM
kcd

Jay, Congratulations on your wedding! I stayed at the Marriott on my honeymoon in Oct. 99. It's beautiful! No noise from the airport, and I liked the bay/beach. It's very swimmable water, and you can watch the cruise ships as they come in and out of Kauai.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Nora

Have you considered the Hyatt? We stayed there for our honeymoon and it was fabulous. Pricey but well worth it. Gorgeous grounds, pool, beach, great restaurants and spa as well. It also is on the "sunny side" of the island.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Ginger

Did many people say that the Marriot was noisy that was not our experence but we were only there one night. Also remember Lihue airport is not JFK, LAX or similar size airport, think the flights shut down around 11 start up at 5. Can't believe the noise would be a problem and the hotel would remain the success it is. For the class of hotel you are discussing this is the best choice on the islands, also identified by other fodors people. Did you see the article on home page?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:41 PM
renee

I've also been planning a honeymoon to Kauai (in August) and was debating between the Sheraton, Radisson, Hyatt, and Marriott. The noise at the Marriott seems to be factor that many tour books focus on, but when I called the Mariott directly to ask them about it, the woman I talked to (and she sounded honest) said that she's been working there for years and has never heard noise from the jets -- she's never seen any either. I also talked to a travel agent (based in Hawaii) who told me that she's been to most of the hotels on the south side and that she liked the Marriott the most. She seemed a little surprised by my question about airport noise. My first choice would be the Hyatt (because it sounds spectacular), but I just couldn't find a good package deal. I found one for the Marriott on Expedia.com and went ahead and booked it. With the recommendations of the people I talked to, I'm feeling relatively confident about the Marriott (though I have my moments of doubt). It's a tough choice. Good luck.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Galf

Congratulations.. We are getting married on Kauai.. & ended up getting confirmed at Radisson for July.

Our first choice was the Kauai Coast Resort! - condos in the Kapaa area. We are golfers.. so we don't plan on spending much time in the room!

The Radisson, I thought also went through some recent renovations..

Cheers! Good Luck!