Search

Kauai or Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 04:51 AM
Bjorn

Kauai or Maui?

My girl and I are going to Hawaii from Sept. 25th to Oct. 2nd, but we have not decided which island to go for.

Our plane arives late in the evening so we plan to stay the first night at the Best Western Plaza, wich is supposed to be the closest hotel to the airport, and we'll propably stay there the last night before our return morning flight. Our plan is to go to Waikiki just to have been there in the morning before we head of to Maui or Kauai.

Kauai has been warmly recomended, but after browsing through some books it seems that a lot of the beaches on Kauai is unsafe in the winter season, and that Maui has a lot of safe beaches all of the year. We do of course want to take a dip into the sea several times a day, weather we're
out enjoyng the sites or where we might be staying. We have not made any specific plans for Accomodations yet, but we will try to make it as affordable as possible.

Anyone got any hints.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 05:48 AM
M. Wong

Of course, I will say Kauai! I live here and have for 9 years now. you will love Kauai. Maui is a little more touristy and busy. Kauai is simply beautiful, and the scenery is breathtaking. There are a lot of very safe beaches and some are even protected by a coral reef. Lots of resorts. North end of the island: The Cliffs at Princeville, Hanalei Bay Resort & Hanalei Colony Resort. They all have great views. if you are looking for a Bed & Breakfast, try North Country Farms, very charming.
If you are a surfer, North end is good now as well as the east side of the island. Then there is the "mini" Grand Canyon on the west side of the island. Something for everybody here. Try a helicopter tour with Hawaiian Helicopters, truly awesome. Horseback riding is a great thing to do, goes up into the mountains and stream area. Enjoy!

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 08:45 PM
JIM

I will be traveling to Kauai in a week or so with my wife and three kids (11,17,18). Can you tell me something about the best NaPali Coast adventures. Do you recommend the Zodiacs or maybe the Cats. Or, do you recommend doing it at all? Thanks

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 03:27 PM
Doris

I agree! Kauai is magnificent! Captain Zodiac was great fun. The whole family loved it. We also did a helicopter tour and it was incredible. Words cannot express the beauty that island holds.

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 09:51 PM
carol

Since it's your first time, I would say go to Maui. I've been to Hawaii 5 tmes in the past 2 years and have been to 6 islands. Each is unigue and different, but on Maui you can experience several different climates and terrains on one island. My favorite places there: Haleakala, the beaches of Wailea, Old Lahaina Luau (ask for mat seating), Oheo Gulch (A MUST!), a walk through a bamboo forest leading to a 400-ft waterfall, and Hana. Kauai has my one favorite scenic wonder of all the islands (NaPali Coast...seen by way of Captain Zodiac raft rides) but Maui has much more to see and do. Of course, you really can't go wrong wherever you go in Hawaii! ALOHA!