Kauai north shore rental

Search

Kauai north shore rental

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai north shore rental

We're looking for a condo rental on the northern part of Kauai for September. It need only be big enough for 2. My preference would be for something around $2K for a week. But I would really like to be right on the beach if possible, or a short walk. I'm not thrilled about the steep walk down to the beaches from the Princeville condos, though the Pali Ke Kua and Sealodge condos do look very nice.

This one is a bit pricier than I wanted to spend but looks gorgeous. I'm willing to spend the extra if this is as good as it looks.
http://www.kauai-vacation-rentals.co...love_shack.htm

Does anybody know that property specifically, or can you tell me a little about Haena? Is that going to be too remote? It seems to be just about at the end of the road on the northwest side, as far as I can tell. Does anybody know the beach that it is on? will it full of people outside of my window?

Barring that, does anyone have any other suggestions for a pretty, close to beach, somewhat secluded rental for a couple?
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Kal

Topping for our helpful No Shore Kauai FFFs.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:26 AM

This is not a condo but a cottage--right on Hanalei Bay. It does have air conditioning and is quite comfortable. The photos are accurate--you walk across the lawn and are on the beach. It's within your price range. http://www.beachkauai.com/Hanaleimoon.html
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

that one is very nice, thanks martym. I should have said cottage or condo. Actually, cottage may be preferable. I have no particular need for condo amenities (pools or tennis courts), and I like the privacy of a cottage.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM

I have made a solemn oath to not recommend this place, but if you go to NaPaliprop.com and cross reference to one of iamq's trip reports, you'll see the picture on my profile. But we are not allowed to outright recommend this place, as we know what happens to Hidden Gems, when they are Revealed.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

guyppielou, i think i may have that one bookmarked from reading one of the trip reports, have to dig and see if i can find it.

can anybody give some pro's and cons of Hanelei vs Haena?
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Heana is more secluded. I have never stayed there, so cannot comment on the neighborhood feel.

I don't know where the original cottage you posted is located, but would assume that people will be walking and enjoying the beach in front of you. It may or may not feel private.

The place we cannot post is across the street from HanBay and has shrubbery privacy and a large yard, so has the essence of seclusion. But the mattress sucked - hopefully that has been replaced. Regardless, I will return, and bring my own high thread count sheets and nap on the lanai during the rain storms that are inevitable.

In Hanalei, you can walk to the pier, and walk to town, and walk to the farmers market and walk to see Surf Jones play at Tahitit Nui and then stumble home, when you realize you stayed longer than you thought you would. It's a bit more communal......

But, yours and martym's places look very rentable!!!

sigh......
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Ditto everything gyppie says about Hanalei. I like staying in Hanalei as you can walk to everything. You will pay dearly to be beachfront. The place martym mentions is the cheapest beachfront property in the area by a long shot. It never really appealed to me though as it shares a lot with other rental units. Might not be a problem, but I like a little more privacy. Lots are small in Hanalei though.

Check kauaivacationrental.com for nice spots in Hanalei.

If I am thinking of the same place, the Love Shack is very close to the road on a very narrow piece of land between the road and the ocean. You should ask the owner about that before committing to that one. I don't the think the ocean is very swimmable in that area...if it is the one I am thinking of.

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM

china cat, take a look at my trip report. The place that gyppie is talking about is mentioned in my trip report titled "The Best Little Hell Hole in the Pacific". Good luck finding that special place.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks iamq. I want a swimmable beach, that's very important. So if its not, that's a big negative. I will contact the owner about the Love Shack anyways, and try to get an address so I can get a googleearth view of it.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

what do you all think of this one:
http://www.princeville-vacations.com...rental-67.html

I admit,I'm drawn in by the thought of a private jacuzzi. How is the location, near Anini beach?
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Kal

Depends on where on Anini. I wouldn't want to stay too close to the campground.

Sounds like this place is well past it. Plus it looks pretty nice.
Anini is a good place to chill.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM

It is at the very end of Anini Road. It looks cute from the outside. The only complaint I have heard about this place was from a fodorite who stayed there. Apparently because it is at the end of the road, this person said there were a lot of cars turning around at the end of the road right in front of the house. they said it sort of ruined the remote feeling of the place a bit. I don't remember them saying anything else negative. The last time we were at Anini, we in fact made a K turn right in front of this house when we go to the end of the road.

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 05:16 AM

You can never be guaranteed a "swimmable beach" in Hanalei.
I rented a house there in late May a few years ago. Rough seas all week. Although I enjoyed walking to town, I decided it would be the last time I stayed anywhere without the alternative of a swimming pool. I'm going again in April. This time I rented a lovely condo at Puu Poa (excellent discount rate)with great view and close to pool. I won't descend trail to beach; plan to make many trips to Anini...with side trips to Kilauea Bakery for yummy treats and coffee.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM

How's your search going china cat?
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

I'm having a hard time deciding. Have to consult with MrCat and get his opinion.
I really liked your "secret" place, but the bed is only queen size which is a bit of an issue for us.

I found this one in Haena, which also looks really nice
http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/...s&Avail=&Stay=

and this one
http://www.napaliprop.com/hale-kahakai.html

both of which look pretty good too.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 01:17 PM

They both look nice!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

so, because I'm still endlessly searching...
does anybody know what Moloaa bay is like? there are several very nice small cottages on the beach there. it seems fairly protected, like it would be a nice swimming beach.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM

We've spent a couple of days lounging at Moloa'a Bay. I really liked it. It was very quiet, hardly any people at all. I remember a cluster of rentals on the center part of the beach. There is a portion to the far right out to the point where the beach is very nice and we had calm waters for swimming and the snorkeling around the rocks wasn't bad. This was in July and August. It was a about a 5 minute walk from where we parked the car. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -