kauai - North Shore or South Shore

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kauai - North Shore or South Shore

2 couples mid 50's are going to Kauai in October. We are looking for a 2bedroom condo and we are undecided if we should stay at the North Shore or the South Shore . Any suggestions? We will be there 5 nights.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Either shore would work in October and you could certainly stay South and take a day trip to the North or vice versa.

We enjoy staying in Poipu/South Shore but there is an equal following for the North Shore.

North side is greener, South offers more dining, shopping, and hanging out opportunities.

Anna Roz
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM

South shore is sunnier; north shore is more uniquely Kauai. Hanalei in North shore is magical just before sunset.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 04:53 AM

"South offers more dining, shopping, and hanging out opportunities."

Couldn't disagree more.

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 06:43 AM

jamq, here is what I based my response on but, again, this is merely my opinion based on personal experieces..

As to the South/Kiahuna Plantation base (this is where the OP was planning on staying), it is across the road from the Poipu Shopping Village with numerous stores and restaurants, including ABC store and Roy's Hawaiian Fusion. A great place to walk off that supper. Plantation Gardens Restaurant within Kiahuna not to be missed. Kiahuna is also within a walking distance from the Hyatt, which is a stunning property in and of itself, not to mention Stevenson Library for a drink, Tidepools for a romantic dinner, or just a freebie Hula show. They also have jewelry shows there almost nightly and a good place to pick up a souvenir. Speaking of souvenirs, the Spouting Horn is right down toward Lawai and what a great place to buy gifts for everyone on one's list and for oneself. The Beach House Restaurant is down that way also, although not one of my favorites. The Waiohai has a nice beachfront bar now and that is a fun place to stop by in the p.m. We use the Poipu Beach Park and the main drag there for our morning power walk and to check out if any monk seals and sea turtles are lounging around. A five minute drive gets one to Koloa with several good stores and food shopping opportunities, including Big Save, Seauoka's [sp] and the Koloa Fish Market for the freshest sashimi. Kalaheo with Brick Oven Pizza and Camp House Grill with the best burgers on the island (my now adult children's opinion here). Another 30 minute stretch and one is in Hanapepe to pick up the absolute best taro chips. And on to Waimea Canyon by way of Waimea Brewery, of course. If not west, then the OP could drive South about 20 minutes toward Lihue and visit the few shopping centers right by Nawiliwili and the restaurants there, and the Marriott and the stores there, and have lunch/dinner at Duke's or the Kalapaki Beach Hut, which is hands down better food than Dukes. Hamura Saimin is just down the road from there and we all know what is the absolute best restaurant on Kauai (that is me talking now-smile). Not to mention that it is great fun to drive up hill a little behind Nawiliwili and watch a cruise ship being towed into the Kalapaki Bay by a tiny tug boat.

The North Shore has a great scenery and the Hanalei Village on the North Shore is a great place to hang out. Few stores, a gallery or two (I like the works of Avi Kiriyati in one of them) Hanalei gourmet is also a great place to grab a bite and a drink. ZaZa's closed. A few hotel based restaurants. Princeville Hotel closed for major redo.. It is sleepy and hip.. What else, its relative proximity to Kapaa not counting?
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Agree, north shore has way too many ~gt;~gt;~gt;, nothin' to do, too expensive, no parking, too dark (etc.)

Yep, why would anyone go there
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:50 AM

It might depend on what time of year you will be visiting Kauai. We had a marvelous time at Whalers Cove in Poipu. We visited all around the island and found that there is something to love about pretty much the whole island.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 09:07 AM

There is a reason the north side of the island is greener-its the rainy side of the island!! My family stayed at Princeville (I'm going back to 1996) and it rained pretty much the entire 10 days we were there. There were days when it rained on the north side but the south side was sunny. Guests rented to cars to drive to the south side of the island.

If the sun is important to you and laying on the beach- I would lean towards the south side of the island.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM

In October, still Summer there, I would stay on the North Shore. So beautiful ... but it's ALL good! You can't go wrong ...
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM

You're right anna roz. Hanalei is too laid back for most folks. Stay in Poipu and do a north shore drive by. That is usually enough for most people, but for us rain worshippers, bug mavens, boredom addicts, and lousy food cravers it is heaven.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 07:41 PM

You are too funny, iamg.. We have our share of bugs in Poipu so you the Hanalei folks certainly cannot claim monopoly on that.. Maybe just boredom.. (wink)

BTW, congratulations on your marriage and many happy years together! Beautiful photos of the wedding and the honeymoon at Post Ranch.

Anna Roz