Reload this Page >

Kauai North Shore Condo Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:05 AM
JEFP

I'd like to visit Kauai next year and thanks to all the great information on the message board, I have it narrowed down to a week on the North Shore, Pali Ke Kua Condos. How far ahead should I book in advance to get a unit with the Bali Hai view? Haven't quite decided between early June or late September as the time to go. Will the weather be all that different?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Iza

Do you mean June or September 2002 or 2003? I am trying to book now for August of this year and have found out that a lot of the nice units have already been booked. However, if you are looking to book for 2003 you probably have plenty of time, especially because early June and late September are not high season.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Sharon

Hi! the weather is quite different. In September the weather will be much drier and there will be less waterfalls. We have stayed at Pali Ke Kua before, but have since moved down the mountain to Hanalei colony Resort. We really feel as if we are in Hawaii down there. Those condos are on the ocean, so one may have ocean front, oceanview are garden view, which is usally the mountains. If one stays in Princeville, the chance of actually getting exactly what you want can be a little more difficult even if one books ahead.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Sarah

That was not my experience Sharon. Hanalei fills up the quickest. I have found condos in Princeville as late as May for August. Did not have a problem with the units except that they were connected to massive complexes. If individuals book through agencies telling you that you are getting a certain unit you will get it. Also other posters here have stated that Hanalei Colony Resort is run down. I was also told this by someone who lived on the North Shore.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Iza

Sarah, any more luck with the airfares? Please share any information you have.
We have now narrowed down our dates, made inquiries about condo availability and are about to make condo reservations, but I am still undecided whether I should book the flights now or wait ($990 Harford to Lihue).

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Sarah

I just posted on the airline sight. I found the receipts of my tickets last year. I purchase my sale tickets on Continental last year in May for August. I bid on tickets the year before that also in May for August. So I think I will wait a bit if I can stop obsessing about it. Did you buy yet?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Sarah

One of my concerns about buying now and from United is that just dropped a 1:20 direct to Lihue from lax. All of those people who paid more thinking they were getting a direct flight are now either waiting for a later flight (longer lay over) or they are connecting through honolulu something they could have paid less for on their own. So I am concerned they might cancel again.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Iza

Sarah, I have not bought the tickets yet - the fare I am coming up with is on American Airlines. They have a direct flight from LAX to Lihue that gets in at 7:30 pm (I know it is a bit late, but on the other hand, going back home we won't have to leave until 9pm so we'll have some extra time to hit another beach on our last day). Based on what you are saying, I'll probably wait (plus my husband says to wait too, so if we end up paying more, I'll just blame him
I was able to find a nice unit at Pu'u Poa for a reasonable price (agent says it has ocean/Bali Hai view) and I am about ready to make reservations in Poipu. I will probably see you around on the north shore (we'll be there Aug. 10-17).

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Sarah

We are there on August 10-24. Book the condo soon though Iza. Did you ever look into the Pale Ke kua unit I emailed you about, it was our choice if we stayed in Princeville.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 12:26 PM
JEFP

Thanks for the replies. Iza, I am looking at 2003 for Kauai (the Big Island in 2002!) I'm just wondering if I have to book more than 6 months ahead to get what I want. Thanks Sharon for the heads up on the weather. Sounds like June would be better because I don't want to miss the waterfalls.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Sarah

JEFP sorry to take up time on your post. Iza don't worry so much about the That was a post not an email. Balhi view, yes it is grand but it is nothing you can't walk to easily if you are staying at Pale Ke Kua, Hanalei Bay Resort or Pua Poa. Where we are coming from don't you think the straight out views of the ocean are nice? Perhaps with a young child you will spend more time at home but we found ourselves only at home at the end and beginning of a day. Spend a lot of time each year looking but I am not sure how worth it the look is.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Karen

JEFP I am usually in Kauai in mid to late August, hard to believe it drys up that much in September. We had a little morning and evening rain each day last year. I would get a second opinion. September you are moving towards the rainy season November to May. I would think September would be better than June but I am no expert.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Iza

Sarah, we should really stop hijacking other people's threads ;-) Sorry JEFP.
So I just reserved that unit at Puu Poa. The price was right and it looks nice, I realize that not much is within walking distance, but Hideaways Beach is right there and Princeville Resort Beach. We're planning to drive around and explore (my daughter's plan is to hit all 15 beaches shown as best beaches on the inside cover of the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook - and we have to do it all in 14 days! - plus hiking and possibly a helicopter tour).
As to nice views, I have this thing about views recently, just love a place with a great view where you can sit with a cup of cofee at 6am and listen to the waives. Hope I am not making a mistake with Puu Poa.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Sarah

Iza you are near Plenty. You are walking distance to Princeville Hotel and HBR (restaurants)(shops. When the Princeville hotel was owned by Sheraton (last summer) they use to have a traditional hula performance at 3pm in tea room, luau at night by pool. There is a great beach other side of Sheraton also.Through the hotel and down the elevator forget about the treck down the road the HBR people with be hiking. Also Hideaways/Secrets beach is great for snorkeling and generously shaded by trees. You will certainly make more than one trip here. Queens bath which I am not crazy about but others love is near. Just a bit hot but plenty of turtles and certainly unusual. You are about 2 miles from foodland, convienent for urges and videos (think there is a block buster up there). Do you have the ultimate guide to Kauai? GREAT RESOURCE.

P.S The light house has free guided hikes into the bird sanctuary, call book in advance and enjoy. Princeville is very near the lighthouse you won't walk but it will be closer for you. JEFP this is all stuff you should hear about also sorry again just not sure where I will bump into Iza before August. . There is also a wonderful overlook down into a taro farm just past Princeville towards Hanalei. Your gonna love it Iza!

JEFP I would book as soon as possible. why not now while you have your pick?

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 06:20 AM
ttt

ttt