Kauai North or South Shore in Winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Elizabeth

Hi,
I love the north shore of Kauai but was worried the surf would be to rough and that it would probably be quite rainy in December. I have reservations at the Hyatt and was trying to decide whether to take a day trip up to Princivelle or if we should spend a night or two there. Anybody experienced with Kauai in winter?

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 01:16 PM
MissMaui

Mahalo again Elizabeth! Keep up the great work with the multiple posts, we'll have this mofo board covered with Hawaii posts in no time! And that's as it SHOULD be, of course!

Check the weather channel or the state tourism/transportation board for weather. I know, I know, they can't compare the Ali Towers versus the Hilton Hawaiian like we can on Fodor's, but they do occassionally have some good info.

E-mail me! Mahalo!

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 01:44 AM
JJones

Alohamolowahu !

Elizabeth, you could always make a 'breakwater' from all the dead travel agents that litter Hawaii...

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 06:32 AM
ed

hi,

wife & i spent 10 days at hanalei bay resort adjacent to princeville hotel from 11/10/98 thru 11/20. weather was variable. rough surf on day 1 which was reason we went to north shore to view it. day 2 was slightly misty and so humid it shut off the proetctionnon my video camera. rest of time it rained in mountains but was calm at beach shared by hanaeli bay resort & princeville resort hotel. most of time sunny, warm, and when weather was bad we simply went to Poipu for some sun. all in all, tolerated weather in order to wake up each day to sight of bali hai from BR window. magnificent. we liked it so well we're trying to return next march and am checking similar weather questions about that month. good luck.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 06:36 AM
Karen

Hi, Elizabeth -

We travel to Kauai each February and, while we primarily stay on the South Shore for two weeks, we always need a "North Shore fix." We have found the North Shore to be rainier, no doubt, but always enjoy spending a few days up North. Last year, we had picture perfect weather at Princeville - not a drop of rain the entire time we were there. We snorkeled at Tunnels, hiked some trails, and bathed in the sun. We were able to swim and was not bothered by the surf being too rough. Of course, all that can change in a New York minute. The Hyatt you are staying is a very beautiful place, but take a day or two to explore the North Shore if you have not been to Kauai before. If you have the time and can rearrange your schedule, I would suggest spending a couple days on the North Shore. If it rains, you can always drive south or west for that matter, however, you have not really seen Kauai unless you have seen the North Shore. Hanalei Bay, Bali Hai, NaPali all beckon. Enjoy your trip whatever you decide, but, at least, drive to the North for a day.