Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai-North or South Shore in September/October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading about the varying weather conditions in Kauai during the different seasons and am wondering whether the water is most likely to be calmer in the Princeville area, or in the Poipu area in September/October. Thanks very much for your advice!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Our winter surf conditions get their start in September -- not crazy-wild like later in the season, but just slightly rising. Weather in September is usually magnificent.

So...all that being said...if you're coming in September, I'd recommend northshore. If you're coming later, Po`ipu might be a safer choice for sunny skies and calm(er) seas.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM
bonniebroad

lauren27, through mid-October, I personally would choose the North Shore. After that ... until May, Poipu! That advice comes from my family's experience. Auntiemaria is the Kauai expert here, of course.

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Now I just need to get confirmation from my boss on which month is a better time for me to be on vacation!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM

I'm going to Kauai this september and a friend said that the east is too windy and recomended the south shore....but is the north better during that time..My wife is looking forward to the beaches....during september (warm and NOT windy), so is north better ...ro south?

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:08 AM

Hi Lauren,

Poipu for September is great - have had no problems with weather being great - but that is my opinion as I own in Poipu - I always tell my clients to see both sides of the island - North and South if they have the time - so much to see - each side is different and a must to see what Kaua'i has to offer.
Have a great time on your vacation whether it be North or South.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Don't let concerns about surf and weather influence you very much. While there are indeed some patterns, my experience has been that you just never know what the weather is going to be like at anytime. This past Xmas, my wife and I had perfect weather north and south, with lovely wave action, for all but 1 day of our 14 days on island. At the same time of year in 2003, our stay in the north was perfect but our last week in Poipu it rained 5 days, thanks to a Kona low. Stay where the vibe strikes you as best; better yet, split your stay between north and south. And no matter when you go, expect to spend some time enjoying rainy day activities.