Kauai nature tour

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Tina

Kauai nature tour

Hi everyone, my husband and I are going to Kauai in May. I have found a group call Kauai Nature Tours.They do several different guided tours with a naturalist. Does anyone have any information on them,or another guided hikeing tour on Kauai?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Sarah

Tina, you must be new it is rare that you would find anyone interesting enough to have done this tour, on this forum I am sorry to say. I did not go out with them because I was solo waited until the last minute to book. I really respect this group though. Imagine taking a tour with a PHD. Gotta be great. If you do the Napali with them it will be reassuring as it can be a bit hair raising for first timers but oh so worth it!!!

I remember they were going to take me out after saying no to one person. Just was not economical and I understand then later the guy calls me back at my hotel and says well you sounded like you were so disappointed to miss the hike we will have someone take you. Just don't get that kind of hospitality in NYC. I would strongly advise to do this tour. Actually now that I see your post I am reminded to go on this tour on our tour this summer? What are the rates up to?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:54 PM
x

Hey Sarah, you dissing us?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:17 PM
kal

Sounds cool to me. I didn't even know about them and I've been over quite a few times.

Guess you CAN teach an old dawg new tricks!

I also want to do the astronomy/star gazing they give out by Barking Sands and up in Kokee. The westside sky is on fire at night!
Kal

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:18 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Cindy

Tina,
When we traveled to Kaui, we used several books and did our tour by ourselves. We took our car and made up a tour from the many books available on Kaui's natural sites, and in had a nice, quiet experience. I am not a fan of tours and being with other people when wanting to discover the quiet, natural side of a place, so I may be biased.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Sarah

Many people do that Cindy but what Tina is talking about was written up in National Geographics magazine. You do your tour with guides that have PHDs in Geology and other Sciences they tell you about things like the evolution of the landscape,sand ect.. while you are walking, so in my mind it has far more crediblity than a normal tour guide would. The groups are small also, I thought six was the limit when I went.

You also want to remember Tina that the Napali Coast line is on the Sierra club hike list as one of the 9 most difficult hikes in U.S. (learned this on this forum last year). This should not keep you but a guide like this will know the easier trekking spots. I have not gone with a guide but I only do half of the first stretch which is mild and short. I have heard of people getting airlifted out with spraned ankles and the like as it can get muddy in spots.

Don't let me scare you one guy last year told me he did the entire trail (11 miles) when he was 22 (looked 40's) he said that there are leaves the size of men. I thought he said taro leaves but that does not make sense to me along the coast. Point is I imagine there is spectacular natural beauty to come across against the ocean.

Happy Trails what ever you do Tina.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Tina

Thanks everyone for your replys.The Kauai Nature Tours have several different tours,from easy to very strenous.I am considering the Sleeping Mountain Excursion. It is rated easy to moderate. The price is $87.00 for adults. The other walk I am concidering is the Mahaulepu Coast nature walk. It is rated easy and includes snorkelling and swimming. It's $82.00.The reason I am chooseing this group is i will be by myself while my husband plays in a golf tournament. Having never been to Kauai I thought this would be a good way to learn about the Island.Also iam not one to lay arround on the beach all day.
Last year my husband and I and went on a guided tour with a Geologist on the Big island. This was through Project Lava.com. I highly recomend it!Wonderful (inside) information on Hawaii Vocanoes National Park. Easygoing friendly guide named Janet Babb.