Reload this Page >

Kauai last minute questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Maureen

Leave in a week and have a few last minute questions. Is it OK to take the kids ages 3 - 15 hiking for the first 2 miles on the Kalalau Trail? If I shop at Safeway, are the prices that much higher or is it worth the hassle to bring some food with me? If they are considerably higher, are we talking 30, 40% higher or what?

Thanks everyone for your help. Kal, I have especially enjoyed your informative postings. I'll post when I get back. Aloha!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Dick

15 year old should be fine...but I think that 3 is too young.

The trail is uneven in many places,and has fairly high elevation climb.

The 3 year old will get tired.....expect to carry themn most of the way.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:41 AM
sss

Expense depends on where you are coming from I don't see a big difference at all in prices between North Shore foodland and NYC or NJ. There is just a lot of variety down by that safeway a ton of competition. I have yet to make that trek with our food though.

Definately do not take your 3 year old on the Kalalau trail one of the nine most difficutl hikes in the country (Sierra Club).

I hate to say this because I support whatever people need to do to have a cost effective holiday. I would consider what it might feel like when they open your suit case in front of weary passengers waiting to go through security. Much more likely to happen now. If you don't mind, do what you need to do.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:00 AM
jolie

They still have fast food resturants in Kauai. I found Kauai to most like home. It was like driving in my small town but beautiful. Don't bring food.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:04 AM
loveskauai

Maureen, (are you the same Maureen with q's about SF?? See my response re hotels with pools!)

I go to Kauai frequently and with my two sons. Here's what I can tell you:

Do NOT bring the 3 year old on the K'trail. You will be worried sick about him/her slipping or falling, getting tired. If the rest of you go, PLEASE wear hiking boots. It's worth taking the space in your suitcase so that you can have them for this one experience. I have seen Japanese tourists in high heeled sandals making this hike--pure stupidity.

The prices on all the islands for food are much high than the mainland. I always bring the staples from home, even spices and tuna and peanut butter, etc. I put the food in the same suitcase with the hiking boots. Again, it's worth taking the space. Then we shop for the fresh fruits and veggies and dairy and breads when we arrive. Avoid the grocery store in Princeville: although it has a great selection, it is the highest priced grocery store in the US! We usually BBQ fish every night. My kids loves hanging out after a day at the beach, watching the sun set and then a movie. We have found that most restaurants on kauai are not worth the time or the money, unless you really hate to cook on vacation.

Leave most of your clothes at home (if you have access to a washer) and bring only a few tee shirts and swim suits and shorts. You won't need anything else.

Be sure to check the wave action before going in to north shore beaches this time of year. The waves can be very high and dangerous. Also, please get the Ultimate Kauai guide book. It is invaluable for directions to all the great beaches.

Enjoy!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Sarah

lovekauai that is nonsense I went with someone from a rural area in southern NJ. She did not see much of jump in costs at all. She was a mother of three and not well off. We cooked most of our meals at the condo. It is a complete stretch to call foodland in Princeville the most expensive store in the U.S. Have you shopped for groceries in any city to say this? Are you coming from the midwest, rural south? This is not to offend I think it does play a role in what you are use to.

I also lived on Hawaii we would see 50 cent jumps on Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, some jumps on vegitables out of season and not from Hawaii. Sure wish you would qualify your statement lovesKauai. I just don't see what you are talking about at all. Tuna (ahi) at that Princeville foodland can be great!! I would definately stop. Loveskaui what are you cooking?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:36 AM
loveskauai

Sorry to have offened you, Sarah., and that you are so angry.

I just don't like to spend money unnecessarily, when I have all the staples in my kitchen cupboard and can easily bring them with me. And you are probably correct in saying that the prices are about 50-75 cents higher on most items. I guess that is what I object to.

I do agree with you that the ahi at the Princeville Foodland is quite good. I also like the fish at the Dolphin market behind the restaurant. As I said, I buy all our produce on the island, and am happy to pay the price.

I promise you that I am not a penny pincher, and do spend money lavishly when on vacation and at home, but I don't like to spend it unnecessarily, that's all.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:32 AM
sss

I was not offended lovekauai I thought you were not accurate in your assessment and that you were misleading Maureen. It is not a 50-75 jump on most items it was on Ben and Jerry's ice cream from Vermont (94) (when Company was actually owned by B&J).

You still did not tell us where you were coming from in the U.S, loveKauai. I think that does dictate what you think expensive is. The Carolinas are a steal for many people on the east coast. I always think I should buy a car in Wisconsin or no take the same money and buy a house LOL. That is an exaggeration but there are different price expectations all over the country.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:58 AM
loveskauai

I live in SF bay area. My opinion still stands, though: I don't care where you live or shop, I don't like to spend money unnecessarily.

Are you that opposed to bringing a few household items in your suitcase? Why buy a $4.95 roll of saran wrap at the P'ville Foodland, when you have a half used roll at home that you can bring?

I then spend $495 a night on a home that I rent in Haena. We all are happy then.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 12:59 PM
no

So we can take $495 per night at maybe 7 nights=$3465.
Regular roll of saran wrap approximately $3.95, saving you $1.00 per roll.
You would have to buy 3,465 rolls to afford the next stay?
Next trip, spring for a $4.95 roll on Kauai so the airline can save on the extra gas from having to haul all of the supplies over?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Maureen

Loveskauai, no I'm not the same Maureen from the SF area. I definitely won't take the 3 year old on the trail, even though she has been on many other trails. I was only considering the very beginning of the trail after reading the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, but won't now. (If there are sharp drops, I would be scarced to death she would slip)As to the groceries, if I fly I usually don't pack any since I have to pack for all 6 of us and the savings isn't worth the hassle for me. I only considered it this time after reading the previous posts and the guidebook thinking the prices were incredible. Thanks for the advice.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Susan

Easy, people! I know lots of people who bring foodstuffs with them when they visit Hawaii. We usually bring bottle of booze since it is so expensive to buy in the stores. I can understand bringing some of the kids' favorite foods too. We love to buy the produce and fresh seafood there but some items, like cans of tuna, are tres pricey. The first time we went I even sent a box of baby formula UPS so I wouldn't have to buy it there.

And Einstein, since you're so smart, how do you think that $4.95 roll of Saran wrap got over there? It doesn't grow on banyan trees, you know.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Susan

That would be "bottleS", believe you me, we bring many more than one. Do I hear that Jimmy Buffet song again?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:14 PM
mae

In the post 9-11 world it is easier on yourself & all the other passengers to buy on island. Recently traveled behind a group that had all sorts of bottled & canned goods in carry-ons, not only did they delay the line for about 10 min but they confiscated some of thier items
in the long run your better off buying on island

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:04 PM
no

Are you telling me all the saran wrap on Hawaii comes from tourists? Bet we can start a black market. "Psst, buddy. Wanna buy some saran wrap? Got some good stuff, man".

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Susan

No, I'm telling you that it all gets there via airplane or ship fuel. And that they've got a serious landfill problem so if you "carry in" and "carry out" you might actually be doing the smart thing.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Sue

Maureen just to second the vote against taking the 3 year old on the Kalalau trail. And yes, for heaven's sake wear decent hiking shoes or boots - we found ourselves climbing up a waterfall at one point.

As you are a family, it probably isn't worth packing food supplies. Staples like rice and pasta are cheap, but don't count on finding potatoes that are either cheap or in good condition, must be something to do with tropical conditions. Aloha.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:34 PM
joan

Re: Hiking Boots
I don't own a pair (live at the beach). Would a pair of Teva's work well in this environment. Also, what the heck are "tabis" as mentioned in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook? Anybody own them? He describes them as fuzzy mittens for your feet! should I get a pair of these to use hiking?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Minnywall

Re: Hiking Boots

My husband & I hiked (most of) the first two miles of the trail in sneakers & were just fine. We actually saw one couple with a 2 year old on their shoulders & the man was wearing NO shoes and lots of women who were wearing flip flops. We thought they were all nuts. Make sure you bring water!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Kal

Gee, thanks Maureen!
Not hard to speak glowingly about a place ya love and have been to 10 times! But I doooo go on... Drop us a line and let us know how it went.

S'spike,
Saran Wrap=Leftovers? Leftovers?! What a concept!;^D
I'm still trying to get off the extra 10lbs I brought back w/ me after this last K trip. The mid-Jan surgery didn't help.
(REMEMBER-nothing less than a 30SPF sunscreen on Kauai! Don't worry.You'll still bring back a great Kauaian tan to show off.)

Joan, I bought a pair of Teva Vectors (?-the ones with the hiking soles) about 2 weeks before we went in Dec. and they were great...Better if I had worn them more than one time around the house to break them in! Got a massive blister on the way in on the first leg of the NaPali and limped out. Soaked them and got them just right now.
Mrs Kal bought some Chacos w/ a lugged sole that worked for her.
My friend wore tennis shoes and sis/bro in law bought $180 hiking boots and they worked just as good as my buddy's $40 tennies, so...
Yes. We, too, saw all sorts of foot and sports wear going up the trail. One lady had designer stuff on, even canvas tennies...all white!
Wonder if she made it!

We saw a few families with "youngins'" ... but as mentioned, don't let go of their hands cuz some of the drops are 1,000'+.

Now...time to go fix the leaky roof. Ahhhh...reality strikes!
Kal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -