Search

Kauai in October

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:10 PM
pmr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai in October

I'm headed to Kauai (north shore) in October. I'll be staying in a 2-bedroom condo with my husband, 2 small kids, and my in-laws. I have a few fairly specific questions I'm hoping someone can answer --

1) Is there a walk at Waimea Canyon that a 3-year-old can do? Any GREAT kid activities (besides pool and beach, obviously)?

2) Is there a place to snorkel, especially considering that we'll be on Kauai in October, when the water is rougher?

3) I can remember sitting on the patio at Duke's in Waikiki years ago and having a cocktail as the sun set ... is there an equivalent cocktail/sunset option on the North Shore? What is the Duke's at the Marriott like?

4) How long will a round-the-island trip take? Is this worth doing? How windy is the road?

5) Any interesting places to shop on the north shore -- local, small shops and nothing too big or commercial?

6) Is there any single thing that we MUST, must, must do while visiting Kauai?

7) I'd love to take my kids to an authentic Polynesian show, but I am doubting I can find that -- help!?

Thank you!!!!
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM

1. Dunno. Waimea Canyon isn't a place for hiking with a 3 year old.

2. Tons of places to snorkel. There are books full of ideas.

3. St. Regis Princeville has a stunning view from the bar at sunset. Don's miss it.

4. You can't drive around the island.

5. The entire town of Hanalei

6. Relax and enjoy the beach. Anini Beach is wonderful for small children. Make sure and have sun-protective clothing and hats for the kid. The sun and water really give bad burns.

7. There aren't any authentic Polynesian shows- I mean they are all performances by paid dancers. There is a Smith Family luau that gets good reviews if that is the sort of thing you are looking for.

Reading a guidebook on Kauai would really help you in your planning.

Old Sep 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Website for Smith Family luau.

http://www.smithskauai.com/
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 08:41 AM

If you're driving around the south shore, there is a hula show at the little shopping center across the street from Kiahuna Plantation late in the afternoon. I'm not sure if they do it every day.

You can't drive all the way around the island (waimea canyon gets in the way!), but you can drive north shore to south shore and back.

Placename, I plan to enjoy a cocktail at the bar at the St. Regis next week (although we're staying at the Hyatt, we'll be sure to get up to the north shore one day)!!!!!
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 08:58 AM

After staying in the north shore, I don't really want to stay anywhere else. Even if it is going to rain.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 02:47 PM
pmr
Original Poster

Thank you!!!
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Dukes at the Marriott at Kalapaki Beach is a so-so place for food I wouldn't go out of my way to go there. Been there once last year so that's enough for me....Bubba's is great for burgers. have one at Poipu Beach now - yipee. there is the original one in Hanalei and there are cute little shops in hanalei also - very low key town.

Agree with all the above postings. Anini Beach is perfect for small children.as well as Poiup Bech Park but that is on
the south shore.

Grab yourself a good guide book and take into consideration what you read here and you will have a great time.

MUST DO....I would at least visit the Canyon and if you can find a sitter (probably not if you are in a condo) helicopter ride is awesome but not for kids. Snorkel trip is also great but there again for another time sans children. Enjoy - it is paradise on earth for me....
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 05:20 PM

I agree I think Kauai is the prettiest island. The south shores of all the Hawaiian Islands will always have calmer beaches than the North Shores. This is great for families with kids.

The North Shore of Kauai is so green it is almost irredescent.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 09:02 AM

A must in my eyes would be a boat ride to the Na Pali Coast. Those chisseled mountains are exquisite. You can also find a ride that includes snorkeling.

I'm in agreement with everyone else's suggestions as well.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Not sure which boats would allow a 3 year old, maybe ask Captain Andy's?

Child would probably enjoy the train ride at Kilohana Plantation. Also have read about a goat farm on Kauai, sorry but cannot remember the name of it. If the surf is up on the north shore (October is kind of a transition month), try Poipu Beach State Park, Baby Beach in Poipu, or Salt Pond Beach (this last one is on the west shore, so you could stop on your way back from the Waimea Canyon). There is also a free show at the Grand Hyatt, think this is on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday (check over on TripAdvisor, one of the posters there works at this show) with a torchlighting ceremony, singing by Leilani Bond and a keiki (children's) hula show, all free.

Personally I like Duke's, always stay at the Marriott in Lihue and eat there my first night. Never had a bad meal there although a couple of times we had mediocre service but the last two times the servers in the main dinner restaurant are very professional. Downstairs the Barefoot Bar serves lunch and dinner and is a fun place to hang out. Mostly typical bar type food (burgers, nachos, sandwiches) although I love the crab and cream cheese wontons.

Enjoy Kauai!