Reload this Page >

Kauai in April...which location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:33 AM
Todd

My wife and I are planning a trip to Kauai in mid-late April. We are interested in hiking/exploring but also want a nice beach and good weather (little or no rain ). Any advice on which area of the island would be best for us? Also, we prefer a condo or villa...any suggestions?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:39 AM
barbara

I always prefer the south shore as it is less rainy. It's an easy drive to either the north shore or Wiamea(sp?)for hiking. We always stay at Kiahuna Plantation. It's a condo complex but with a number of hotel amenities (and a very good restaurant- Plantation House). I suggest a unit in on of the 2 story building rather than the 4 (3?) story building at the back of the property.
Kauai is wonderful. You'll love the trip!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:50 AM
Holly

I prefer the North Shore, but it does have more rain. To me, the South Shore seem too much like other parts of Hawaii (or even Florida). It does have nice beaches. I think the North Shore is absolutely stunning and unique.

In terms of hiking, the Waimea Canyon is worth a visit (a VERY mini Grand Canyon). IT can get very foggy which can make visibility difficult (and hiking, in terms of the views, frustrating). If you're into hiking, the Na Pali Coast is even better (more challenging in certain parts, and absolutely spectacular views).

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:34 AM
gyppielou

Myself....I couldn't think about booking a trip to Kuai without staying North shore for at least part of the trip...last visit we stayed 5 at Princeville and 5 A sheraton...would have been best if we'd saved the better for last....but there is truly something magical about the northcoast you don't want to miss. GL

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:51 PM
kal

Aloha all,

April may still be in an area where you'd want the sunny refuge of the So Shore and Poipu. Odds are better that you'll have better weather. Princeville/Hanalei is the best scenic area vs Poipu as mentioned by Holly.

The drive up to Princeville/Napali Coast from Poipu is approx 45/1 hr but it is beautifulllll! Get a convertible!

It's around 30/45 mins to Kokee and the Puuikila trail head. Takes up up to the backside of Napali and the alkalai swamp.

One overlooked hike is the hike up the backside of the "Nou Nou", The Sleeping Giant in Kapaa.
Great view of the entire CocoCoast, Wailua River, Mt Waialeale, King Kong, etc.
I can smell it now!
Mahalo,
Kal
27 mo' days

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:05 PM
Suzie

We went to Kauai in September last and stayed in Poipu. Did not find driving to any point of interest to be a "chore" in our convertible. We were happy to be in the south as it did rain quite a bit. Driving on a weekday morning though is a challenge if it's before 9:00 as Lihue is the location of governement offices and many locals are employed there. I think Barbara had a good suggestion if you want to be right on a beach. The only thing is there is no pool right at the Kiahuna Plantation though you can use a pool across the street.

We stayed at Whalers Cove which is right on the ocean. We thought it was convenient to everything and within an easy drive of the north shore.

Unlike Kal I have no countdown to my next visit

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:43 PM
kal

Suuuz,
392 until 2002 visit. You must set goals! ;^D
Kal

ps..found a new sushi place on the poor side of town in Rvlle.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:30 PM
Suzie

In addition to goals, I must win the lottery. Was on your side of town just this evening. Only saw the inside of Taco Bell. Could it be that kids don't eat sushi?

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Carol

Hi Todd,
My husband & I spent 12 days on the north shore of Kauai in September of 2000. It was great and I think it only rained one afternoon. It is much nicer than the southside in our opinion. We rented a one bedroom condo at Sealodge and it had an incredible view. I think I still have the owner's name if your interested. You also will have to hike the Napali Coast. We did the 4 miles in and 4 miles out. It was worth it. If you would like more information , feel free to email.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Todd

Thanks to all for your responses!

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:08 PM
ja

Tagging onto Todd's query...
What about October (first half of the month)? Where would be better for less rain, nice snorkeling? Kal??
Thanks in advance.
ja

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 10:05 PM
Suzie

ja,
Tho we have only this one year as a reference we went during the last week in Sept and found the north shore too rough for snorkeling but the surfers were happy!! We were beaten into the rocks at tunnels beach and saw no fish because the water was too stirred up. I'm sure Kal could provide more info but as we all know he's packin for Kauai in what, 2 days?

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 06:52 AM
kal

Suuuuuz and ja,
I'm pumped....looked at the Kauai Garden Isle Gazette this a.m. and found that there are 30ft waves breaking on the NoShore. Beaches closed!
That Hanalei Valley must be full o' spray. Better buy more film.

We have 2 friends from R'vlle who are over there now cooling down the Fire Rock and warming up the barstools waiting for us. Hope they make it up there to see it.

Oct. may be a good time to play it safe and go for the SoShore, poss. EastShore,too.

Lydgate has some protected snorkel areas.

Anini is usually good year round due to a bit of a reef but as a prior poster mentioned, stay away from the channel current.
The Lifeguards rescued a guy last year at this time when he got caught in it. Luckily his son was with him and swam for help.

The beach just outside of the Beach House Restaurant (Beach House Beach-go figger) is small but really nice snorkeling.

Mrs Kal doesn't swim ("But I look good on the beach") so my snorkeling time has been limited on Kauai to when we have a friend tag along. Strong swimmer but having grown up in San Diego/ocean and Pittsburgh and Sacramento/rivers, I have a tremendous respect for water and "Mother N".

Once again, one of the best guidebooks is Ultimate Guide to Kauai.

Right now I'm trying to pack 3 days of paperwork into 1 day of "bad attitude" pre-vacation blues!
Mucho Mahalos dudes and dudettes,
Kal

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 07:54 AM
curious

Kal, Can you do me a favor? I posted on a thread TODAY (yesterday's curious was an evil imposter), about some hotels I visited in Hawaii a while back (almost 20 years). Can you take a peek and let me know the status of some of these hotels? Just curious, mahalo!

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 07:56 AM
curious

Ooops, forgot to tell you which thread Kal, it's the one entitled "Which island for an active toddler", Mahalo!

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 08:03 AM
kal

C,
The Westin is now the Marriott.
Iniki probably was the main reason it changed hands.

Yes, the Westin "lobby" was pretty breathtaking but we heard a lot of people say they didn't care for the Romanesque decor. Marriott remodeled it into more a Polynesian motif. Still looks great.

The pool area would be nice for an "active toddler" as long as the supervising adult remains "active watching". The beach there is good for the younger crowd as there are smaller waves.

Mahalo,
Kal

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 08:08 AM
curious

Thanks Kal. I really thought the decor was beautiful, but I'm a bit of an itlaianophile. The rooms were a bit on the small side. Did they ever finish those canals?, and now I'm trying to remember the name of the great ice cream shop in Kauai. The logo was of a man with a white beard and a cap. What is the name of that shop, I think it was Lamberts or Lapperts, (it was a long time ago) but it's driving me nuts!

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 08:23 AM
kal

C,
Now you're driving me nuts! Macadamian nuts as a matter of fact! ;^D>
I could kill for a Lappert's MacNut/Vanilla Bean cone right now!

This is about the only time I eat ice cream...no calories on vacation, yah?

I recall the canals up and running with the boats...the carriages were still being used last trip over...the golf courses are both still pretty nice.

Did you ever make it up to The Whaler Brew Pub out on the point overlooking the bay? Some shops up there too but none have reopened since Iniki.

I can smell Coppertone right now!
Kal

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 08:29 AM
curious

Yummmmmm Kal! That's right, macademia nut AND cocunut ice cream! My stomach is growling as I type.

I don't remember going to the Brew pub. Most of this trip was a company boondoggle, so we had a lot of dinners at the hotel at night. I do remember going to a beautiful, secluded beach with 2 other couples. We had to drive through sugar cane fields and were the only people on the beach the entire time. This was unfortunate when we all went swimming and couldn't get back in because of the riptide. Luckily one of the guys was a former lifeguard and guided us back in. Gorgwous spot, but scary! All this talk has got me thinking that it's been way too long since I've visited Hawaii. Hmmm....

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 08:49 AM
kal

STOPPIT!!! Don't know if I can wait 2 days now!!!
It was Polihale! Yep...pretty good rippers there. My rule is go in only when and where the locals do.

That haul cane road is a lot of fun. Washboard most of the time. After a rain, slip-slidin' all over and some big Neon-rental car eatin' "puddles".

I always recommend seeing a sunset from Polihale. In the winter it sets right over Niihau. Then stop by Brick Oven for a pizza or Waimea Brew for the obvious.

Mahalo,
Kal