Reload this Page >

Kauai Hotels - Marriott or Hyatt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 01:59 PM
seeker

Which hotel on Kaua'i is better equipped for kids (ages 6-8) to enjoy - Marriott or Hyatt?

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 02:16 PM
sss

tough call I have visited the grounds of both. Here is why it's a tough call for me. Of course the grounds of the Hyatt are nicer not by leaps and bounds but they are step above Marriott. What seems to be a problem at the Hyatt in summer is that pool becomes packed with people. I don't go all the way across the Pacific to step over people or fight foor chairs around the pool. Just not sure it is worth the price when the hotel might not be ready to handle service for all lodgers. You know the Princeville does not have this problem there always seems to be spare chase loungers there. Again only strolled through but this is what I have noticed on more than one visit in August.

I tend to wonder that it might be worth your while to skip the crowds by staying at the Marriott. Gorgeous property again different class than Hyatt but not drawing the crowds.

Have not visited Marriott in August during the day only the evening.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Patty

In June, the crowds were not that bad at the Hyatt, we never had trouble finding lounge chairs and did not find the pools to be packed.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Tammy

Ever wonder WHY there's such a crowd at the Hyatt but not the Marriott?
Has at least a little to do with the fact that Hyatt's quite a bit nicer and therefore more popular.
If given the choice of those two, there's no contest in my mind.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:36 PM
weeker

Tammy, but what specifically about the facilities for kids at the Hyatt make it better than the Marriott? Or is the Hyatt more popular for reasons that have nothing to do with kids?

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:46 PM
notAhyatt

Maybe they get more to stay at the Hyatt because they give cheaper rates just to get people to stay there? I found it a bit too pretenscious for our tastes. Too many people walking around acting like they were "rich".

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:06 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:27 AM
sss

Tammy I don't have to wonder why the crowds are there I am not looking to be around all those people when I am paying a minimum of 400 a night. Also I have seen both hotels, Hyatt is nice but you will see seeker, it is not that much nicer than the Marriott. Go to the rants and raves many complained about the rooms at the Hyatt.

Better hotels should understand that most clients come to them with this idea of space. One poster on this forum said that when they went in off season to the Hyatt a waitress told them that she once witnessed a lodger chucking personal items into the pool of another guest apparently someone took her chair when she took a dip in pool.

Patty glad to hear your experience just not what I witnessed on my August visits. Usually have lunch at the Hyatt probably about 4-5 times now. Enjoy strolling the grounds this year I even made a reservation and backed it up with a Marriott reservation. Don't want to get lost in shuffle of other guests, back in forth about a stay here in high season. ANYBODY ELSE? WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT PEOPLE THINK.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:32 AM
rs

The Hyatt has an enormous terraced pool area mostly interconnected by canals and water tubes. It's like a bunch of smaller pools on top terraces leading down to a larger main pool. Each little areas has chase lounges - all this in a heavily planted tropical atmosphere. Absolutely beautiful. The kids also love the huge 200 ft long water slide. In addition the Hyatt has a very large saltwater lagoon down by the pool area(no fish) that is styled to look very real with a beach and big rocks/palm tress etc. It's on the beach also. Enough said!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Patty

The beach in front of the Hyatt is not a swimming beach if that's a consideration. It's more of a boogie boarding beach.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:57 AM
xxx

There is also a child friendly beach in front of Marriott. Also Lydgate beach park is close to Marriott recommended for first time snorkelers.