Kauai - Grand Hyatt questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my husband and I want to go to Kauai next winter and are leaning towards the Grand Hyatt. We would love an oceanfront room, but they're so expensive, so we're thinking of taking an oceanview room. Has anyone stayed in an oceanview room? If so, can you tell me your thoughts? Are the rooms nice and were you satisfied with the oceanview room? What is the beach area like at this resort? Can you swim or is it too rough?

Any comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 09:00 AM

Have not stayed there (been there for a wedding and hula shows, etc) - but have stayed in other hotels with Oceanview rooms - and it depends. For the most part - they have been fine - but some are more a slice than a view depending on what is next to the hotel.

These days - I think you can almost find a webpage that gives you the views - or call them and speak to a live person about it. It is a beautiful resort. http://kauai.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-...index.jsp?null

In the winter - the south side of Kauai/Poipu is usually pretty calm - but check with people there about the local conditions.

I always say - go early when it's usually the calmest, and if you are a real beginner/ocean swimmer - don't go in if the surf is kicking up, wear fins, and others further advocate finding a beach with a lifeguard.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice. I really do appreciate it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 09:03 AM

And if this is a partial ocean view room photo - it looks great to moi: http://kauai.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-...&tabType=photo
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM

And here are some reviews that you might find helpful.

If you don't like the beach at the Grant Hyatt - there are plenty of other choices around Poipu, fairly close.

http://tinyurl.com/3yrqyl
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 09:10 AM

BTW - most beaches around Poipu I think are fairly safe - especially in the winter and if the surf is not kicking up - but do ask about undertow.

Actually one of my favorite body surfing beaches was right across from Brennecke's - but one of the hurricanes a few years ago wiped out the sandy bottom/changed the break.

Such a shame as it was super - with a big, beautifully formed break and plenty of water below you where it was breaking.

Here is a guide to it and other Poipu beaches:

http://www.poipubeach.org/visitor_info/climate.html
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 09:26 AM

Shipwrecks is the beach in front of the Hyatt. I don't know if the name has anything to do with conditions, but it's not often recommended as good for swimming.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/kauai_b...shipwrecks.php
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM

The beach in front of the Hyatt is too rough and too steep for swimming. Outright dangerous at some times. That's why they built the lagoon pool.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:00 PM

I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai, and it is a gorgeous property. The odds are slim that you'll be sitting in your room gazing out at the ocean for long enough each day to justify the cost of the oceanfront room. The grounds are gorgeous, especially the pool and lagoon area. Shipwreck Beach in front of the resort is definitely not swimmable.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

With the beach not being swimmable, can you still lay out on the beach tanning and are you able to walk along the beach?
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:09 PM

Yes, you can still enjoy laying out on the beach and taking walks. These might help:

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/15/4...auai_Poipu.jpg

http://www.poipubeach.org/maps.html?...on=&map_id=446

You just can't swim due to the shore break.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for this. Is there anywhere within walking distance that is suitable for swimming in the ocean?
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM

Not sure...I didn't get in the ocean there (because I was too busy scuba diving elsewhere). If no one knows here, you might want to post on TripAdvisor (on the Poipu board).
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 02:32 PM

Lots of locals use the adjoining beach--and I've seen people swimming, as well as tanning, and walking along the surf.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM

Mat: Did you not read that I had been to the Hyatt several times, once for a wedding for the son of my good friends from Waimea, whom we have known since the late 70's. I was bestowed the honor of the head seat at the Haole table.

I have not been out to the Hyatt beach, but have been to most of the other beaches in/around Poipu, either body surfing or snorkeling or scuba diving - and sent plenty of info about the other beaches. Stayed at Lawai beach for a week and other places around Poipu for a few days.

BTW - I have only been to Kauai about 20 time since the 70's, including being on the Advisory Board for our timeshare in Princeville - and my boss when I practiced law for the Feds - had lived on Poipu for 3 years and we talked about it all the time. In depth! I was even learning a little pidgin.

My Q: You list Pahola, Big Island as your residence, but are you a native or a transplanted Haole?

And does Hawaii change that much every time you go back? Methinks not.

I will put my Hawaii knowledge/experience up against just about anyone's - except perhaps - a lifelong native, and even then - many of locals haven't been to all the islands.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 06:25 AM

I think matnikstym made his/her point.

Your response just confirmed it.

When you google for the the town matkikstym lists as home, make sure to spell it right.

It's Pahoa, not Pahola.

Doesn't take a lifelong native to know that.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 04:04 AM

Like beanweb, we have stayed at the Hyatt. We stayed in an ocean view room on one of the higher floors on the wing that is south. We were at the end of that wing and had great views of the ocean. Because the hotel is up and away from the ocean a fair way, I don't think ocean front rooms would be worth the extra cost.

You are interested in the KoaKea Resort as well. It is not located right on the beach in Poipu, but is ocean front. It is located a 30 second walk to the beach at Kiahuna/Sheraton in one direction and another short walk to Poipu Beach in the other.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 07:45 AM

On our first day in Kauai, we walked into the Hyatt and the hula dancers were dancing on the open stage area, the sun was starting to set---it was so beautiful.

We have never stayed at the Hyatt, but stayed in nearby condos and walked down the trail to the resort in the morning, ate at the restaurant and enjoyed a happy hour at sunset one evening. The resort is really beautiful and we enjoy the grounds.

The most important thing for me when choosing lodging when we visit Kauai is to have a condo on the ocean. Waking up, drinking coffee on the lanai and watching whales jump, tail flap, breach etc. is truly a great travel experience. The whales' numbers peak in Feb. It was not unusual for me to see 10-15 whales every morning in the middle of Feb. when we visited. The pod of dolphin--at least 100 of them, was another great site from the lanai.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 08:44 PM

ocean view rooms r worth very penny for us. love having wine and coffee and enjoying the view while sitting on the lanai. 25th anniversary at the Hyatt 5 years ago. beautiful resort. even when not staying there we manage to get over there for cocktails.
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 07:36 AM

You can clearly see the Koa Kea beach situation tileaftilly mentions on this link. If this link takes you to the main page, click on Poipu Beach, then on the third dot from the left.

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/free-t...a-hotel-resort

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -