Kauai Golf Vacation Next Week

Mar 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Kauai Golf Vacation Next Week

I have been to Kauai twice and absoutely loved it. Have scheduled vacation starting this coming Thursday(3/23/06) for a week with a golfing buddy who has never been.

I have been keeping up with the flooding. The poeple of Kauai have such a great spirit and I feel guilty coming to vacation with the devestation on the island.

Unfortunately, we didn't buy travel insurance for our trip. Staying at condo in Koloa/Poipu. Being an avid golfer, I am prepared to play in wet conditions.

How bad are the courses right now? Would like to play Poipu, Kauai Lagoons and Princeville.
Mar 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM

I don't golf, but I saw some pictures from the Kiahuna golf course in Poipu and at one spot it looked like a lake. I don't know how the Poipu Bay or Kukuiolono golf course are doing but both of them are on a cliff or uphill so they may do better. Alan
Mar 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Hi MC...just returned from Princeville area on Sunday. Monsoon conditions there all week, but we played the Prince course anyway. They did give us a 9 hole raincheck. That course is so rolling, I doubt you'll have any issues. I would definitely call the courses in advance. The road to the North Shore is now open, and we did not have to wait in line for any length of time. Officials told us it would be months before it was completely repaired. You'll be shocked at the devastation...so sad. Tree Tunnel Road was still closed at our departure.Best piece of advice, RENT clubs and take your rain gear! Enjoy your trip..pray for sunshine!!!
Mar 20th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Alan and Visormom,

Thanks for the feedback. I did see the pictures of the Kiahuna Golf Club flooding. Also, the pictures of the flooding at the Marriott pool in Lihue were incredible. I have stayed there before, so I had some perspective of the flooding.

I hope the Kiele Course is playable. That is my favorite.

I noticed in the news that a high school tournament was played on Poipu Bay Course last weekend.

Princeville is always wet, so that will not be anything new.

I usually bring my clubs. Why would you say rent, Visormom?

What is the alternate route to Poipu Bay if the Tree Tunnel road is closed?

Thanks again for the info.

mcmiller
Mar 20th, 2006, 06:36 PM

To get to Poipu from Lihue without going through the tree tunnel. Continue on Kaumuallii Hwy past Maluhia Rd (tunnel of trees). As you drive you will get to Kaloa Road. You will want to turn left on Kaloa Road. This road takes you right into Kaloa town. If you are staying near Poipu Beach you will want to turn right onto Poipu Road. This will be right before you get to the center of town. Be sure to check out Fathom Five Dive shop for snorkel rental gear. That should be on your left hand side of the road after you turn on to Poipu Road just after the gas station.
I don't work there, they are just my favorite dive shop in Kauai. Say hi to Lynn and Charlie. Tell Charlie that the Chicago Bears rock.
Mar 20th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Maluhia Road (Tree Tunnel) reopened fully on Sunday.
Mar 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the alternate route. That is the alternate route that I had picked based on maps. Sounds like Tree Tunnel road is reopened.

Native Dallasite and Cowboy fan here. Still trying to get used to the fact that we have TO now.

We had 6-8 inches of rain yesterday in Dallas. Can't imagine getting that much rain for multiple days and weeks.

I am very excited to visit Kauai again. Leaving Wednesday to meet a friend and his wife who are making their first Hawaii trip. They are on Maui right now.

Thanks to everyone for the info. This site is really cool.

Mcmiller
34 M TX
Mar 20th, 2006, 08:58 PM

Welcome back visormom. Hope you had a great trip even with the weather. Get busy with the trip report. We are expecting it very soon.
8-)
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:31 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
Looking to play at Princeville and Poipu but in September..I wish you all the best...

Mar 21st, 2006, 04:23 AM

Take lots of balls to Princeville, not as many to Poipu and Lagoons. That is a great trio of courses to play, and while I knew that the Prince Course would be tough, Poipu was tougher than I thought it would be..... when Phil Mickelson shot that 59 there, it wasn't because it was an "easy" course! We also liked the Lagoons Kiele course, lots of great ocean views, and more room on the fairways allowed me to breathe, a bit. Enjoy it!
Mar 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM

Ha MC..you can thank me now for dragging all that Kaua'i rain back with us all the way across the Pacific. We were in floods all week on vacation, then arrived home (to our drought area) to more flooding~~~ But as Auntie M said about Kauai...bright blue skies in Texas again today~~~~

Regarding renting clubs....we rented that day, and we were $%^&*( glad we did. Our bags would have been ruined...our clubs rusted...and they would have joined our shoes in the trash! When I'm talking rain last week...I'M TALKING MONSOON GOLF...not for the faint of heart. (did i mention the Prince course did give us a 9 hole raincheck???) Gives us a great reason to return... All the Robert Trent Jones sig. holes are absolutely breathtaking!!! Pro Shop is great...restaurant is poor (grab lunch/bfast before going there...happy birdies