Search

Kauai for two

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 08:07 AM
Pat

Kauai for two

My husband and I are looking for a place to stay in Kauai for 4-5 days in March. We want to be close to a nice beach and want a place that has A/C, cable TV and a kitchen. Any recommendations? We have never been to Kauai
before, but understand that the southern
beaches are best in the winter.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 12:11 PM
Norm

Hi Pat,
We just got back (in December) from our 5th annual trip to Kauai. We stayed at the Embassy Vacation Resorts (affiliated with Embassy Suites) since we are timeshare owners there (and have been since '96). You are correct about the southern side of the island (Poipu) being the sunniest in winter -- Princeville (north) is beautifully green and lush, because it rains so often there. We have even seen it rain hard in Princeville in the middle of summer, when it was hot and dry in the south and east. Be aware that Kauai, although it does have beaches, is not really known for them, but more for its lushness, peace and quiet, and lack of commercialization (unlike Maui, e.g.)

As for specific recommendations, if you are looking for a hotel, the Hyatt Poipu is very nice, situated in front of a nice beach, and all the amenities you list, except a kitchen. If a kitchen is a must, then consider one of the condos in Poipu (there are plenty available, including the EVR). Since the Embassy is adjacent to the Hyatt, the beach is easy walking distance (in Kauai, all beaches are public). If you want more specific info about the EVR, feel free to email me.

Since you have never been before, I would recommend The Kauai Underground Guide (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...2941-4353341); our timeshare salesgirl gave it to us years ago and it has been an invaluable guide. Good luck; Kauai is a beautiful island.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Mel

Pat, there's not many condos with A/C. You don't really need it, with the cool trade winds off the ocean. I also stayed at the Embassy. They have A/C, Kitchens, CD player, washer/dryer combo and TV. Can't remember if the TV was cable, but who wants to stay inside and watch TV when you have paradise right outside your door?? They have a fabulous pool, although no beach. Like the previous post said, it is right next door to the Hyatt so you can walk to their beach and go to their fabulous restaurants. Hope you have a great time!

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Harry

We were there in April last year and stayed at Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu.
Nice condo, no AC but I never missed it at all. The grounds and beach are absolutely breathtaking and there is a great on-site Italian restaurant. Also have daily maid service which is rare and you can use pool and restaurants at next door Sheraton that can be charged to your room at KP. Have fun planning! Harry

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Cher4Travel

Hi Pat,

My family and I were at Poipu Beach, at a wonderful condo called Poipu Kai, the agency to contact is www.suiteparadise.com, they rent many properties throughout Hawaii, and are very reasonable. This condo had beautiful gounds, wonderful large pool, on the beach, and next door to the Hyatt Hotel, (for a wonderful spa day) if you get a chance. Contact them, and they will be able to help you out. Aloha, Cher4Travel