Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai condos - Pali Ke Kua or Pu'u Poa? Poipu Kai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Iza

Decisiions, decisions...
We would like to make our reservations for our two weeks of vacation in August.
The plan is to stay in the Poipu area the first week and then North Shore for the 2nd week.
In Poipu, we are looking at Poipu Kai to be rented through Suite Paradise - any comments on whether ocean front is worth $65 more per night as opposed to ocean view. Which section is better for beach access, amenities and quality: Poipu Sands or Manualoha?
In the north, trying to decide between condos at Pali Ke Kua and Pu'u Poa - any comments on beach access, pool, size and layout, views?
For all condos we are thinking about 2bdr/2bath units.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:11 PM
kauai visitor

don't know about your choices on the north shore, but do know about Poipu Kai resort. Stayed at their Manualoha complex during dec.-jan. Building #1 nearest the ocean (Brenneke's beach) was definitely worth the extra money.

You may want to inquire about the noise coming from the construction at Kiahuna plantation, as is was audible from our unit at Manualoha.

While there, I also looked into their units at the Poipu Sands Building #5, also located near another beach (Shipwreck). I suspect the units at Poipu Sands are better quality. Next visit we decided we would try for #5 at SAnds.

No pool to speak of at either of these poipu locations, the beach is the real attraction.

Suite Paradise is only one of the vendors with units in Poipu Kai. While I thought they were very responsive to all our requests, Grantham resorts is another choice. If Suite Paradise is not offering units in Building 5, I would search the internet to find out who does, perhaps even individual owners.

Enjoy! And don't miss the local fruit stand just across the road from Poipu Kai. He has great pineapples, lettuce, tomatoes, papaya, and flowers. There's a fish shop in old Koloa town that has wonderful local foods and very fresh fish.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:28 PM
barbara

The construction is not at Kiahuna but at the new Marriot. I think Kiahuna is the best- and only beach front property in Poipu and the construction, as I understand it, is entering it's final and quietest stage.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:17 PM
lori

Iza, We stayed at the Sheraton Kauai in Feb. Visited our friends who stayed at Poipu Kai in the Poipu Sands section in an oceanview unit. It was nice. We walked by the #5 building and decided that next time we would also like to try that building. I did however prefer the beaches (Brennecke & Poipu) that were located closer to Manualoha. We had our children with us so we needed to go were they could swim.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:58 PM
karen

We stayed at Pali Ke Kua a few years back. I highly encourage you to get a deluxe view room. The views of Bali Hai are incredible. We were there in April, so the North Shore was a bit rough, and the beach was rocky and unswimable, but I can't say for August. Towards the end of our trip we found out there was a public beach access to the Princevill resort's beach, which looked fabulous - it is a short walk and we had drinks there one night. Pali Ke Kua also has a decent restaurant with a beautiful view of the mountains. We obtained 50% off with the Entertainment Card, so I thought it was a really good value. Puu Poa is next to Pali Ke Kua and I understand that it is a bit more upscale in decor. The units are built directly on the ocean view - they have a more compact feel - less of a garden apartment type feel. And they are supposed to have neat Japanese tubs. Either way, the location is absolutely dreamy!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Iza

Thanks for the comments so far. It seems that we can't go wrong with either Puu Poa or Pali Ke Kua as long as we have a Bali Hai view.
In Poipu Kai I am leaning towards an ocean view in Manualoha section (and saving $$$ for a helicopter tour .
If anyone has recommendations on specific unit #s in these condos please post them here.
Thanks again.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:18 AM
shana

Not to add to your decisions, but we stayed in a condo at the Alihi Lani in Poipu, which was a short walk from the Sheraton, which is on a great beach. It's a small complex with six units, I believe, in 2 stories. It's just across the road from the ocean, so all units have lanais looking over the ocean. It has a pool in front. We had a 2 bdroom, 1200 sf for a good price, and it was in great condition (practically new) 3 yrs ago. You can search on the internet and read more about it. The Kiahuna Plantation is better located, right on the beach, but was much more expensive for the space.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:10 AM
loveskauai

lza, Building #1 in Manualoha is very close to the beach, great ocean views and next to the pool (which is not very excitign, but if you have kids they will like it). We stayed in unit #106, friends stayed in unit #105, both furnished simply and not too new, but it was very clean and we really like it.

Enjoy!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:29 PM
ellen

If you haven't already decided, take a look at Po'ipu Kapili .It's right on the ocean by the Sheraton on Po'ipu Beach.The shoreline is rocky there, so you'd have to walk a short distance to the beach at the Sheraton to swim in the ocean. The units are spacious, it's a small resort with a nice pool right in the center. Price is very reasonable. We stayed at the Kiahuna Plantation, which we liked but was more expensive, units small and quite a bit more expensive. Check it out. Have fun!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Sarah

lza I did not think you would mind. Anybody have suggestions for one night in that area. I was thinking Hyatt. I have two weeks on the North Shore but want to start with one night on the western side.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Iza

Sarah, I don't mind at all. We have decided on condos at Puu Poa and Poipu Kai (building #3 in the Poipu Sands section - ocean view) and I am still trying to figure out how to get the use of the Hyatt pool for a day. Someone posted on a different thread that you can get a day rate at the Hyatt for about half their normal rate which gives you the use of the pools and a room from 9am to 6pm. Considering that their rooms start at about $400 per night that is pretty steep. Someone also mentioned that United Airlines frequent flier program has 50% off coupons for the Hyatt in Kauai - you may want to look into that.
Any news on the airfares? I still haven't bought our tickets and keep on checking every day. I just checked my flights this morning and the fare I saw last week went up by $20 per person. What gives?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:28 AM
sss

lza pools are so crowded in August. I am just not sure if it is worth it to stay at the Hyatt during August. I have to be at a hotel that night and I want to be near the waves of Poipu. Marriott in Lihue has a great pool also just never saw it operate at capacity. I have been there at night in August and noone was swimming. The Hyatt pool is also crammed at capacity, which it usually reaches in August. So I could cancel at the last moment.

We were at Hilton Hawaiian Village last August and it was like a giant communal bath tub. I did not want to go in thinking it could not be sanitary. Sorry this is truly how I felt there were a few people every few feet. This with the ocean about a city block of beach away. I thought it was outrageous that the hotel got away with having a pool that did not accommodate all guests. Thanks for the 50% off coupons idea I only have 9 Thousand miles with them but I will look into it.

This is what I found on airfares. From the east coast they have gone up about $100. I did notice some price drops after midnight on Sat. Some suggest this is the best time to buy tickets, wee hours of Tuesday and Thursday of each week. Orbitz has deals but be careful of times they offer, also if you can get a deal from the airline directly it is better as you can always get a credit if travel is cancelled or postponed.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:13 PM
sss

That was the wee hours of Tuesday and Wednesday of each week

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Eke

We stayed at Pali Ke Kua last August. Sorry to say we can't recommend it. First of all, the units are not air-conditioned. If the trade winds die down at night, like they did for three days with us, the rooms become very stuffy. Also, the condition of the rooms left something to be desired. Floors were dirty. It looked as if someone just left and it was never cleaned. It took a few phone calls to get it cleaned. Management didn't seem very concerned. We usually stay at the Hanalei Bay Resort which has fabulous grounds,clean rooms (air-conditioned) and a wonderful restaurant. The views are 100% better too!