Search

Kauai Condo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Condo?

We have the opportunity to stay at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club for 5 nights for 2 adults one child at $798 total. It includes a rental car, $50 Marriott Resort Gift Certificate, and a two bedroom w/kitchen villa. I had heard that Condos are pretty reasonable too. Anyone have any suggestions on if we should take this offer or shop around?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:11 PM

That's a brand new property on a nice beach in a good area for families. At that price I'd say it was a decent deal, especially as it includes the car. The "villa" is, if I remember right, just a unit in a multi-unit building i.e. it is not a separate free-standing unit, just marketing-speak.

A condo might give more space for similar costs, some include a car too, we used Suite Paradise last year with good results (www.suite-paradise.com).

Good hunting, the Poipu area is great for families.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:20 PM

That sounds like a great deal to me. Just be sure to get all the details. It sounds like you may have to sit through a time-share presentation if it's a Marriot Club offer. They tend to hide that in the small print.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:11 AM

Make sure you get written confirmations if you do this. We were offered a similar deal; the guy said they'd e-mail the confirmations in a fwe days. Well, I waited and waited, and the confirmation never came. I kept calling all sorts of people at Marriott, and the answer was that they had lost our reservations and now our particular dates were not available.

I talked to the higher-ups at Marriott for about a week, but no one was able to re-do our reservation. So we're staying at the Marriott Beach Club in Lihue.

Hope you have better results.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! There is no sales presentation that is required which suprised me. I checked out the Suite Paradise site. Very nice! Are they as close to the beach as the Marriote? Was it a problem only having fans (rather than A/C)?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I went to the Waiahai Beach Club on a similar offer last April. Same specs but $595. It did require a "tour" but that was not as bad as I expected. No pressure.

Property is ok and the rooms are nice. A large room with private bath, living area with pull-out sofa, and another room that has a bathroom with two entries. Good size kitchen.

Pool areas can get congested, have to go through them to get to the beach. Restaurant now open on premises, I believe.

For the price it is a great value. But I would not pay retail rates to rent. We are returning to the Kiahuna Plantation in July, my personal favorite.

Doug
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:17 AM

We did a similar deal a couple years ago ($600 then) at the Marriott in Lihue, where they pitched us on a time-share for Waiohai. For the value you're getting, you won't find a better price. But, be aware!

You will be asked, but not required, to sit through the presentation. Since it was raining, and they kicked in another $50 gift certificate as inducement, we did. Bad decision. I knew I was in trouble when my wife and the sales person started sharing pictures of kids. After three hours of sweating bullets and saying NO, I finally got her out of there.