Kauai Car Rental for 6 & Rates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide between getting a SUV or two smaller cars. I vote for the smaller cars because even with an SUV I don't think we can get all the luggage in it. Two smaller cars would mean we could split up and go in different directions if we don't all feel like doing the same activity. We are staying in Hanalei, so probably better to have smaller car, easier to park, etc. Thoughts? Anyone have a rental company they can suggest with good rates for Kauai? Thanks so much.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

WOW, just checked the rates on Hertz. They have a Lincoln Navigator for around $1590 for the time we need (1 week + 3 days). I need to call and see what they charge to have more than one driver on the car as well. $875 weekly rate.

A Mazda 6 is $405 for the entire time. If we got 2 that would still only be $800. $201 weekly rate. Boy they sure sock it to ya for the extra days, don't they.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
jcb

Personally, I would get 2 cars. I usually book through Thrifty b/c that is where I usually find the lowest rate.

What are your dates? Perhaps someone knows of a discount code for your time period.

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM

try kayak.com and hotwire.com as search engines
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input JCB. We are arriving in the evening on April 30 and departing around 5 p.m. on May 11.

Thanks for reminding me about those sites, gyppielou. I did try sidestep but the rates weren't that great.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM

book what you can now and watch the rates and rebook

sadly tourism is down, but that could mean better rates for you - the navigator will fit everything, how many drivers in your party?

I would love to hear the details of where you are staying as Hanalei is our favorite place in the world so far. But privacy due to sharing your dates makes that a bit prohibitive.

Oh you are so blessed to spend time on that bay! make sure to check out surf jones one night to prove that there is no nightlife in kauai and there are only roosters and darkness.

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
jcb

I really don't want to clean my house, so I looked up some rates for you.

Looked on Travelocity and Southwest.com Both had economy cars for $372 (including tax)(Alamo). I didn't like that price, so I kept looking.

Looked on IslandAir.com for rental cars. I only looked at Thrifty (there are 3 or 4 more to choose from). It takes you to the Thrifty website w/ discount codes already entered. Came up w/ $327 (total) for an economy car and $356 for a mid size car.

I have booked thru the islandair site before. Someone suggested it on this forum.

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM

How about Priceline?
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Do you have a Costco card? Costco's Travel Booklets (on display as you exit) contain rental car company codes. I go directly to the rental car websites mentioned (didn't try through costco.com) and type in their Costco code checking for best rates.

We go to Kauai yearly, and have rented from various companies/agencies. Two yrs. ago discovered the Costco rates, which include a free extra driver, and have had our lowest rates ever (first visit with Avis, second visit with Alamo)

Hanalei is a piece of paradise. Have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM

I might suggest you try Priceline, the bid portion of the site. I just booked a rental car on the Big Island and got a great deal. I used a price comparison site so I had a good idea as to what it would cost if I bood direct. Then I bid an EXTREMELY low price ($10 dollars a day for a economy) and they came back and said if I wanted to pay $18 I could buy. That gave me a price to negotiate with and I increased my car size and increase the price to $15 a day. They accepted and the site indicated I saved 70% off posted rates, and that is fairly accurate to my research. At the very least, you will find a good price when you bid well below the going rates. ENJOY... Aloha!!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips! My daughter has a Costco card so will have her check it out.

My husband has a Hertz Gold card and my son mentioned that a second driver is included but I think so far their rates are the highest.

I have always wanted to use Priceline but I'm such a chicken. I would hate to screw up with so many people along.

gyppielou I will be sure to post a trip report. It will be my husband and I, our son & GF, daughter & SIL. We rented a house in Hanalei. The 'kids' insisted that is where they wanted to stay because that is where we always took them when they were at home and ...evidentally... have good memories.

I rented the house last fall before all hell broke loose with the economy and am now wondering if we couldn't have gotten a better rate if I had waited. Oh well. It's only money. gyppielou, I did post about renting the house.

Thanks, too, for the tip about renting and then rebooking if the rates go down.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM

Has anyone used Island Cars?
I'm also looking for two rental cars for the third week of July.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:05 AM

definately 2 cars with 3 couples
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Priceline. I got an economy car for $14/day by waiting till a few days before the trip. (You could have a back-up reservation just in case ...)

I'd want the flexibility of 2 cars.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM

You can try these guys too. I've used them myself and they usually get good reviews (and rates).

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

That is a great idea Songdoc. That makes two of you who have used Priceline. Maybe I should take a look and see if I can figure out how to bid.

My daughter sent me the following link for Costco but haven't had time to check it out yet:

http://www.costcotravel.com/#11_rentalCars
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Hi Ronda re: Costco link. I never checked rates through Costco's own website (do not know if that adds to the cost, like having a middleman, but could be the same) I just entered the Costco rental car company discount codes when going directly to the companies' websites and then comparing.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

My daughter and I are going to be checking on cars tomorrow when I go visit her. Her husband is a 6 ft. 8 in. firefighter so have to rent something he will fit into! Thank you for all the info.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

My daughter has booked a car through Budget using her costco code and got a pretty good rate.

I booked a car through Budget after comparing prices on Sidestep. It was $562 for an intermediate car for the 11 days. After reading Neopatrick's thread on car rentals, I went to carrentalhawaii.com and found a full size car for $409 through Alamo. Spouse can drive the car without additional fee. I had to read the FAQs to see which companies included spouse.

I still want to try priceline for a car but at least have a reservation.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Regarding Costco, I know of no way you can book through Costco. When you go to their website and book cars, it clearly links you directly to the various companies direct and puts their discount code in the home page for that company.

Several months ago I booked cars in Seattle and in San Francisco for this summer through Budget with Costco discounts. But now I can't come close to those rates, and I'm getting nowhere with Costco's codes or links for LAX in July or September.

And Ronda, I'm curious if on carrentalhawaii you clicked "show lowest rate only" or "all rates". I DESPISE Alamo, and although they were the only one showing if it said lowest rate only, when I clicked all rates, I found Avis was exactly $1 more than Alamo. For $1 I'll take Avis, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -