Reload this Page >

Kauai and Big Island

Search

Kauai and Big Island

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 12:55 PM
Gretchen

Kauai and Big Island

We are taking our teenagers and 11 year old to Hawaii in late July/early August. We are most interested in good snorkeling, natural beauty (including waterfalls), some golf, and avoiding crowded touristy areas. We are considering Shores at Waikola on the Big Island and wondering about Hanalei Colony Resort on the north shore of Kauai. The guidebooks seem to like the north shore beaches for good snorkeling and safe summer swimming. Any thoughts on these options? How rainy is late July/early August in the Hanalei area? And can you still take a boat trip along the Na Pali coast from the north shore or do you have to go south? Kaihuna Plantation in Poipu area would be our alternate choice. (We visited Maui for our twentieth wedding anniversary in 1993, otherwise we'd probably go there.)

We are hoping to make this a special trip for the family with help from my husband's frequent flyer miles. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 04:09 PM
Sandra

I haven't been to the Big Island, but the north shore of Kauai is one of my favorite places on earth. We stayed at the Hanalei Colony Resort in 1977, and it wasn't new then! I hear it's a bit funky, but you can't beat the location. We were in Kauai in 1997 and stayed at Pali Ke Kua condos at Princeville. Loved it. What a view! July and August are fine in Kauai. It rains a little every day (15-20 minutes)-- that's what makes it so beautiful.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 02:03 PM
laurie

hello, except for the kayak and maybe a zodiac-raft type trip, all of the boat trips to Na Pali now leave from the South Shore, usually Port Allen. This is due to legislation passed to, among other things, protect the Hanalei River, where the tour boats used to start. Have not stayed at Princeville area as we have a timeshare at Marriott, but last year we stopped for lunch at the Hanalei Bay Resort. Food was good (service a little slow) and the view was outstanding. Did not see the inside of any rooms, but it was October and there was a lot of people around, which I guess is a good sign

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 04:09 PM
rsabshin

I stayed at Hanalei Colony two summers ago. The location is beautiful though the beach is to rocky for any real swimming. Accomodations are clean and large but NOT fancy. The attraction is the remote location and friendly staff. More about location...it is remote from town. It will be a decent drive to town for supplies and stuff. I spent a few evenings at Hanalei Bay Resort and much prefered it in terms of proximity and amenities. It has an incredible pool and a great informal outsied bar and restaurant. It is also close to the main swimming beach. It is a beautiful resort next to the Princeville minus the prentension of that resort (but close to the golf). You might want to check if the small restaurant next to Hanalei Colony is open (it used to be owned by Charo). It was closed because of fire when I was there. Don't miss the Lumahali Gardens on the North Shore (I hope I spelled that correctly). I thought it the most beautiful place on the island. Enjoy your trip.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 05:25 PM
aloha

I think the restaurant is reopend as "Cerf's" and was geting decent reviews
a month or two ago.

Old May 8th, 2000, 04:16 PM
Gretchen

Thanks for the responses to my query and those from others. The books suggested by people and the reassurance that it doesn't rain all the time on the North Shore of Kauai were very helpful. Thanks again!

Old May 8th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Lani

Hanalei Colony Resort, as nice as it is, would not suit the kids in my family. First, the beach is not good for swimming; and it's way too remote a location for young people, at least, those that I know. And no televisions and telephones! I'd go for Hanalei Bay Resort myself! And that time of year, I'd stick with the North shore of Kauai - the beaches will be much more user-friendly than the South Shore. Have a great trip.

Old May 9th, 2000, 05:46 PM
Ed

Aloha Gretchen! We've stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort twice in the last three years and will be returning this
August. My teenage daughter loves the
resort. We stay in a suite. With that
you get a full breakfast for everyone
and two cocktails per person (kids can
get smoothies)every day. The beaches are
great on the North shore. Our favorite
is Tunnels Beach. It's about a 15 minute
ride from Hanalei. Great snorkeling!
Rent a copy of South Pacific with Mitzi
Gaynor. The movie was filmed on the beaches of the North shore. If you have
any more questions just e-mail. ED

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 04:12 PM
Gretchen

Family vacation to Hawaii was great! We spent a week on the Big Island and a week on Kauai. Hurricane / tropical storm Daniel caused some concern when we first arrived on Kauai, but veered away. We and the kids (12-20) absolutely loved the whole experience. They ecially enjoyed horseback riding in W'aipu Valley on the Big Island, golf at the Waikoloa Resort courses, golf at Princeville, snorkeling on Tunnels Beach, and hiking the Na Pali Trail. It was a long way to travel (from Philly) but what a great place to relax and recreate.

Other tidbits: While we were on Kauai, a monk seal gave birth on Poipu Beach, and we were able to see mother and baby. Two of our teenagers took the movie tour on Kauai and really enjoyed seeing various filming sites and clips from the movies. And we would highly recommend Merriman's restaurant on the Big Island and Mai Tais at the Princeville Hotel on Kauai.

Thanks again for the helpful responses to my inquiry.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 02:13 PM
Lani

Gretchen,

Thanks for your trip report. So glad to hear it was great.

Which hotels did you end up staying in? Particularly interested in whether you stayed at Hanalei Colony or Hanalei Bay?

Aloha,

Lani