Kapaho vs Volcano Village

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kapaho vs Volcano Village

We'll be dividing our time on the Big Island between the Kona side (4 nights) and the eastern side (3 nights).

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of staying in the Volcano Village area vs. the Kapaho area for those three "eastern" nights? We'll want to explore the Volcano National park, visit Hilo, and go north of Hilo to see the area around there. We'll be leaving from Hilo.

Thanks.

Liz
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:25 PM

I'd stay near Volcano for one or two nights then in or near Hilo for one or two. Kapaho is pretty far from the park, and if you want to see the lava at night, for example, that's a pretty long drive back. I've stayed in Puna and while there are some good things about it, I wouldn't base yourself there based on what you want to see.
You could then base yourself in Hilo (there are some nice bed and breakfast and inns there) for your explorations of that area and to be close to the airport. You probably didn't want to stay in two different places, but it seems to be you would be saving yourself the hassle of lots of driving.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:20 AM

if you can rent a place right on the tidal pools of Kapoho, i'd stay there. Volcano is only about an hour drive from Kapoho to Volcano. there's a lot to see in the Puna area and with your own tide pool you can snorkel or swim all day. from there to hilo it's about 30-45 minute drive.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:39 AM

The snorkeling in Kapoho is one of my favorites, so I am partial to that area. It's an easy drive from Kapoho to Volcano and the drive along the red road by Kapoho is really beautiful (hot ponds for swimming along there). There is a new black sand beach forming at the end of the red road and we also go to view the lava from that side sometimes instead of through the park.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:00 PM

GloriaE -
Have you heard anything about the viewing since that last gusher a couple of weeks ago? I wonder if that made viewing better from the Kapoho side?
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:14 PM

no, unfortunately the bench drop and the flow didn't improve viewing from this side...basically all you can see is the red glow off in the distance. to see the lava you still need to go to volcano.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM

I have not heard since my return, but three days after Thanksgiving I viewed the lava at night from both inside the park at the end of Chain of Craters Road and also from the east (Puna side) drive over the grated road at the end of the Highway. We could see the ocean entry easier from inside the park, but could see much more lava flowing down the mountain from the vent from the Puna side. Both views were wonderful. What I enjoy about the view from Puna is very few people, sometimes absolute silence and wonderful stars to go with the lava view. Awesome. You can check the website for Volcano National Park for a daily update on the lava viewing conditions. Have a great time - I love the Big Island.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice.

Liz