Reload this Page >

kansas city, missouri hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2001, 11:34 AM
CJ

Should I stay in the Hyatt Regency or the Westin while attending a conference at the Conference Center in the fall?

Old May 24th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Laura

I'd recommend the Westin, although either is fine. They're only about a block from each other so neither has an edge as far as location.

Old May 24th, 2001, 01:35 PM
teri

I believe you mean the Westin Crown Center. It would also be my favorite. The Hyatt is very nice, also. The two hotels are connected by a very cool overhead walkway.

Old May 24th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Brad

If your meetings are at the Convention Center (Bartle Hall), I'd skip both the W and H and stay at the Marriott downtown, which is right next to the conv. ctr.
All three are average business hotels. The W and H are in need of refurbishment and are nothing special. The Marriott is no better but wins on location.
Westin's one advantage is that it's connected to a shopping center called the Shops at Crown Center.

Old May 24th, 2001, 06:13 PM
David

I vehemently disagree with Brad's post above. While the Marriott is definitly closer to Bartle Hall (if your convention is actually there) there is absolutely nothing to do around that part of town. At least at the W or H you have shops, movie theaters, Union Station w/ Titanic exhibit, and a short trolley ride to Plaza area.

Old May 24th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Brad

Easy there, davey....I frequently travel to large cities for conventions which often involve 2-3 trips per day back and forth between the meetings and the hotel. So for ME, location is of prime importance. When it comes to after hours recreation, if I have to travel a bit that's easier since it's only a once per day trip from the hotel.
CJ didn't state the nature of the conference or his/her priorities.
There's nothing much to do in downtown KC. But then again the Crown Center area ain't exactly Times Square either.
So while you may "vehemently" recommend Crown Center, it won't work for everyone. KC's still a bummer of a town.

Old May 25th, 2001, 06:59 AM
amy

Brad is nuts - I used to live in KC and it is a great city with a small town feel. do a search for good posts on eats and sights. agree with posts about crown center. definitely stay there over downtown. might even want to try the Plaza - great hotels and sights there. If you do not stay on the plaza definitely visit.

Old May 25th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Cindy

CJ,

Any of the hotels mentioned are nice. Are you at the convention center at Crown Center or at Bartle Hall? As they said the Marriott is at Bartle Hall and the other two are at Crown Center. Those two areas are less than two miles apart so a short taxi ride will work either was. There is little to do near the Marriott if you will have a bit of free time between meetings. At Crown Center you will have some shops, theatre, several restaurants, and Union Station and Science City if those are of interest.

I do have to disagree with Brad, Kansas City has a lot to do. Be sure and spend some time on the Plaza. Great restaurants and shopping and a fun place to wander around. You can ride the trolley from Crown Center or a taxi. It's not far. We also attend a lot of conferences and KC is one of our favorite spots. However, as in many cities, the downtown area has little going for it. The Plaza and Crown Center more than make up for that.