Search

Kannapali or Wailea

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 02:27 PM
jan

Kannapali or Wailea

Help?
Please advise which part of Maui is the best to stay??? We are in our early thirties and want to have some fun!! Our first time to Hawaii. We are going in October and would also like to know which hotel would be nice to stay at?? Currently have reservations at the Maui Marriott, but due to construction, we are changing our hotel. We have considered the following places: Aston Kaanapali Shores, Renaissance Wailea, Sheraton Maui, Hyatt Regency Maui, Four Seasons (depending on the price.)We are really considering Aston kaanapali. Please advise?? Any suggestions/recommendations.
Thx

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:17 PM
Gayle

We just returned from Maui last week. While there we stayed on the Kaanapali shores at the Westin Maui. We found this hotel very comfortable and comparable to the other hotels in the area. It was close to shopping, other hotels and restaurants. While on the island, we drove over to Wailea to look at the hotels in this area. This area seemed to be more remote and isolated and very much suited to a relaxed lifestyle vs the more active happenings at Lahaina and Kaanapali.

The Maui Marriott was still very much under construction. We found that some of the hotels on the Kaanapali shores ie the Hyatt and Westin allowed the Marriott guests to use their pool facilities. This added to the numbers around the pool.

Sorry, I do not know much about the Aston Kaanapali Shores.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 06:30 AM
texasgirl

hi, i am also in my 30s and stayed at the aston kaanapali shores with my parents (in their 80s, but healthy and lots of fun!) earlier this summer. It's not luxurious, but comfortable, reasonably priced and clean and i liked the location _ you're 5 or 10 minutes drive from lahaina, where there are shops and restaurants, and close also to the main kaanapali beach and to other good restaurants, such as a pacific cafe and the two Roy Yamaguchi restaurants. (my favorite meals of the trip were at those two) the stretch of beach by the aston shores condos is OK, there's better elsewhere. We also drove to wailia and it seemed like one big resort after another, no there there, if you know what i mean. have fun...

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 02:42 PM
Jeez

Maybe Wailea

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 05:00 PM
Carriem

We stayed in Kannapali & Wailea on our honeymoon five years ago and in Kannapali we stayed at the fabulous Embassy Suites-Kannapali. It was the most wonderful hotel I have been to, it had everything and was close to all activities and right on the beach. The Embassy Suites was the greatest. In Wailea we stayed at the Kea Lani resort hotel and it was very luxurious, I felt like a princess!!! You will love Maui, Have Fun!!!

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 12:24 PM
jan

Carriem,
May I ask,which area did you like best??? Kaanapali or Wailea???
jan

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 02:39 PM
carriem

Hi Jan, I guess I would have to say Kannapali if I had to choose, however I truly loved both of them and ALL of Maui. If you have never been to Maui you are going to love it, it's the greatest!!! Wailea and Kannapali were similar, I think that Wailea's beaches may have been a bit calmer, there was a bit more activity in and around Kannapali if I remember correctly, the town of Lahainea (?spelling??) was neat with restaurants and lots of shops and surf spots etc. Overall, they were both very nice. The Embassy Suites in Kannapali was fabulous, truly amazing!! An all you can eat made to order breakfast bar with everything on it in the open area outside, that was fabulous, and then at night you enjoy an evening cocktail reception on the house which was great every evening. I will try to get my husband to write on your message tomorrow if I can, he may remember more. Have fun, you will love Maui!!! Carriem

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 02:41 PM
carriem

Also Jan, It depends on your interests I think, as to which area you may like the best.... They are both great!!

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 12:43 PM
jan

Thanks Carriem!!!
I read another post regarding Embassy Suites in Maui and the poster said that the Embassy Suites is an "average" hotel not in a good location (beach wise). What did you think??
jan

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 01:38 PM
carriem

Jan, Beach wise, it may not be in the perfect location but the property itself impressed me alot. Unless the Embassy Suites Maui has deteriorated dramatically in the past five years. All of what I remember about our experience there was great. I will get my husband to post tonight if I can, he remembers it well and loved it.

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 09:47 PM
Jeff

Embassy Suites has to be judged against its competition, and there is no tougher competition in the US than in Hawaii. There's nothing wrong with the ES It does everything well for its price range. But compared to some of Maui's stars, it seems more average.
Also depends on where else you've been in your life. If you've not stayed in many "nice" hotels, ES will be very satisfying. After stays at several higher end hotels in the US, the ES will seem more average as it caters to families and has more of a convention crowd type of service.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 12:12 PM
Karen

Jan -

We have gone to HI every February for the last 15 years and know it fairly well. My choice on Maui would be Wailea in a N.Y. minute vs. Kaanapali, but it depends on what you are looking for. Kaanapali was great 15 yrs. ago, but we find it much too congested and like Honolulu. We like either Wailea or Kapalua. Wailea tends to be dryer than the rest of the island. However, if you are looking for lots of activity and crowds, by all means, head for Kaanapali. The beaches are more crowded and I do not think the snorkeling is as good, however, there will be more reasonably priced restaurants to choose from as well as less expensive hotels.

Good luck.

P.S. Kauai is still our very favorite of all the Sandwich Isles!

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 09:22 AM
Jean

k

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 04:03 PM
michelle

You might want to consider the weather, and check with a travel agent about the temperatures when you're going. I was in Kapalua& kaanapali last week, and really appreciated having the breeze; a travel agent suggested kapalua or kaanapali over wailea that time of year precisely because of the temperatures. I believe October is also a very warm month in Hawaii, but as neither a local or an expert, can't say for sure. I really loved kapalua, but also had a nice stay in kaanapali. It did not rain a single day of the vacation.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 01:34 PM
Jan

Michelle,

Which hotel did you stay at in Kaanapali?
We are looking at Aston Kaanapali Shores. Everything seems to be sold out?
Thanks!!