Reload this Page >

Kankamangus Highway, NH

Search

Kankamangus Highway, NH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Eileen

Kankamangus Highway, NH

Is the Kankamangus Highway (Route 112) open during the winter? Thanks!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 04:14 AM
mike

Yes, but please be very careful. Sometimes this wonderful road looks dry but there are patches of black ice here in many places.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 10:21 AM
ellie

The scariest, and most stupid, thing I've ever done was to decide to drive, by myself, during a March snow squall from the Loon Mtn area over to North Conway (to shop...) via the Kancamangus Hwy. I've driven in crazy new england weather all my life - and did this jaunt in a big SUV- and I am no wimp...but I've never been so terrified. The road is very steep in places and you feel like you're driving along the edge of a cliff. I bet I encountered only 5 or 6 other vehicles during the round trip. There are no services (gas, phone, etc) or streetlights. I arrived in North Conway so shook up and worried about making my return in the dark that I only stopped to gas up and muster the courage to make the return drive.
If you do it, start out with a full tank of gas, a cellphone, and a companion. It's a drop dead beautiful route - and just about the only way to back and forth to certain places in the area - but be careful.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:00 AM
Theresa

What's it like in May?

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:09 AM
Marie

It's a dream in May.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:20 AM
Theresa

Perfect. A dream is just what we want to begin our vacation. Is there a preferred route to take, east to west or visa versa? Our plan was to drive up from Manchester and take the highway from Lincoln to Conway and then on into the northern reaches of New Hampshire.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:22 AM
herself

The K-highway is a dream. One of my best roads. Second only to the road to Artist Ridge in the Washington Cascades.
I too have driven it alone on a dark winter night, and I too was scared. My favorite hikes are along this beautiful road. Take you time, enjoy.