Search

Ka'anapali tips and suggestions for family of 4

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ka'anapali tips and suggestions for family of 4

Hello,

Just looking for new tips and suggestions for the Ka'anapali area, family of 4 with 2 kids under the age of 5. Restaurants, parks, fun things to do, anything and everything. Be there during the week of Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the suggestions,
A
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Make sure to attend a luau. These can be a little pricy, but I assure you it will be one of the highlights of your trip. Lahaina is a great little place, especially for shopping.
Your kids will love the beach. Maui has great beaches, especially for families.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Sorry to disagree, but don't take the kids to luau. They will have to wait a long time on line to get in and then the shows last 4 hours! When we recently went to Drums of Pacific, there were some young children there and they did not look like they were having a good time. And of course, that meant the parents [and those around them] were also not having a good time. And remember it is buffet style...that means taking the kids through line or leaving them at table or splitting up and making 2 trips up to line [1 parent each time with 2 plates.]

IF you do decide to go:

Drums of Pacific under 5 are free.
Looks like Old Lahaina Luau charges --"Child: $59.00 + $2.46 (4.166% state tax) = $61.46
(Children ages are 12 and under. Infants not occupying a seat, no charge"

Here is some info from Maui Jon's great site:

http://www.mauihawaii.org/kids-family.htm

Hope this helps...
Debi

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM
ssm

I have to agree about not taking the kids to a luau. My daughter (7 at the time) was bored to tears (not literally) and really did not care too much for the food.

I took a look at the link provided above. Ironically, it suggested many of the same things I was about to write. Namely, snorkeling at Baby Beach and visiting the Maui Ocean Center. Also, we stayed at the Hyatt Maui. They do have crafts for the kids (painting coconuts, lei making, etc) that you may want to partake in (there will be at a small charge but I do not believe you need to be a guest to take part in the crafts). Of course, they have exotic birds to look at as well. The only downside is that unless you are staying there, don't take the kids to the pool area. They will want to stay! You do need to be a guest to enjoy the pools.

Most of all, just have fun enjoying in each other's company!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
TahitiTams

Aloha Alicia..
Your kids will love the Sugar Cane Train that goes from Ka'anapali to Lahaina..
Have a blast!
www.sugarcanetrain.com

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Make sure to eat at Aloha Mixed Plate - it is a restaurant right next to the Old Lahaina Luau - it is reasonably priced, patio seating with a view of the water. It is very kid friendly. Our kids enjoyed it so much we went there twice!

Also snorkeling at Black Rock (right in front of the Sheraton on Kaanapali) is lots of fun - my son was 5 the first time we were there - he floated on a boogie board with me towing him using the rope - he had his mask on and could look down in the water without worring about keeping himself afloat!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:43 AM

A wonderful activity for the whole family in the evenings is to attend the FREE hula show in Whalers Village, which is the shopping center on Kaanapali Beach.

Kids and adults will enjoy two half-hour shows, one at 6:30 and the other at 7:30. These are simple events, but with hula dance and Hawaiian music, and attractive costumes, attended by 50-100 tourists. Each half-hour show uses the same cast, but dressed in different costumes...and dancing to different music.

These shows are presented 3 times a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday evenings. We think the group which performs Monday nights is the best, but enjoy the other evenings as well.

Here is a link to the Whalers Village activity schedule for November:
http://www.whalersvillage.com/active/calendar.pdf

One of the really nice things about the shows is that they have several young girls performing = "keikis," as well as a group of talented teens.

Look for the shows in the "lower level" of Whalers Village, which also has an inexpensive Food Court for meals (including McDonalds). If you arrive about 6:20, you will have no trouble getting one of the folding chairs right in front of the stage.

Enjoy Kaanapali during Thanksgiving Week: I will too!

Bob Cohen
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Hi there! I'll be on Maui with my family (including sons ages 6 and 3) starting the day after Thanksgiving - can't wait.

Does anyone know anything about any produce markets on the island? I'd love to eat my weight in tropical fruit while I'm there!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Skip the luau. I went last time with a 2 year old and 1 year old. It was too hard for them to sit in one spot for the entire show and they couldn't even see the show. We are going in January with 4 kids under 5 and we told the grandparents to SKIP the luau this year.

I am looking forward to taking them to the Maui Ocean Center and a whale watching tour. But mostly, we will love being in the pool and at the beach together.