Jw Marroitt Essex Central Park

Old Aug 11th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jw Marroitt Essex Central Park

Greetings,

My husband and I are going to NYC for a long weekend in a few weeks. We will be taking in a Yankee/RedSox game & attending a company dinner. Sunday we will most likely meander through the park and just take in the day.

Sunday evening we are on our own and meeting another couple for dinner. Interested in restaurant recommendations in the general area of the hotel (walking distance if feasible) - price range would be $50.00 per person before drinks/tax/tip. Open to anything but Japanese (our companions don't care for it) would like a place quiet enough to carry on a conversation.

We were there together last September & ate at Del Posto & a place at Eataly.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 05:48 PM

I love this hotel! Within a short walking distance, and I think in your price range, is A Voce, in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle. It is Italian food. You could try to book a reservation a little before sunset and have a really pretty view as you enjoy your dinner.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

So happy you like the hotel! We have never stayed there - so perhaps a new favorite for us!

The hotel also recommended A Voce -thank you for the recommendation!!
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 05:37 AM

Lincoln at Lincoln Center has a 3 coursemeal for $65. It's really lovely. http://www.lincolnristorante.com/

If you want brunch on Sunday, the Boat House in Central Park is terrific and starts serving early at 9:30. For a lunchtime brunch, Robert, at the top of the Museum of Art & Design is great with a wonderful view of the park. Imo it's better for,inch/brunch vs dinner.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 06:46 AM

Momdd, let me know how you like both places. I have a friend booking a trip soon and is considering the hotel, so I'd like to know if it is still as we remember it. We stayed there a year ago in August and loved it but it has since changed ownership to Marriott. Doesn't look any different to me from the photos online and we found the location to be both lovely and convenient. Sarabeth's was also walking distance and a yummy breakfast. Have fun!
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 06:53 AM

You might enjoy a window table at Robert, the restaurant on the 9th floor of the Museum of Art and Design, straight down the street from your hotel, at Columbus Circle. The expansive views of Central Park at sunset are stunning. Call now to reserve a window table if you are interested. The food is very good new American, and they also do a very nice brunch on Sundays. The atmosphere is civilized and quiet, you can converse, and service is good.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 08:57 AM

I have stayed at Essex House several times over the yrs., when it was owned b Starwood, then the Jeremiah grop, and now the Marriotts. The hotel has a very nice art deco feel. In particular the wonderful elevator banks are lovely art deco. If you can score a higher room overlooking central park, it can be very nice. also, a tip- don't overlook the fact that there is a rear entrance/exit to the hotel, straight through the lobby, for times when you are heading in that direction.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

All of these look SO wonderful! I am arriving on a Thursday and leave on Monday... and am SO excited! We should be able to score a higher room/overlooking park as my husband is a "platinum" member (usually it works! )

Good tip on the back entrance.

Now to decide what place to eat - all look fabulous!
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Make sure you have reservations. They are an absolute necessity for A Voce at least 2 or 3 weeks in advance for a decent time. But that is certainly pushing the upper limit of $50 per person. And that's not going to be possible with even a glass of wine.

Bouchon Cafe and Landmarc are also good and less expensive. Bouchon has great views.

If you get over to the Plaza food court try Three Tarts bakery. It's really excellent. And you are very close to le Pain Quotidien for breakfast. It's on 6th Avenue.

I also like Circo on W 55th. It's about the same price as A Voce but has a great pre theater price fixe.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Doug! I made reservations today at A Voce - It is pushing the upper limits of the 50$ pp. We are picking up the tab so trying to be slightly aware of it. I will cancel the reservations if we don't use them but wanted to be sure to have the option. I know places book up fast.

I will check out Bouchon Café and Landmarc - it they may work better budget wise.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

I am so excited! I was able to get good reservations and honestly this weekend cannot get here fast enough! I love NYC and the fall is my favorite time!
The hotel gets REALLY mixed reviews on TripAdvisor so that should be interesting...
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 02:01 PM

Do let us know how it all turns out! My friend is taking her elderly mom in the fall and having everything within walking distance will be an issue for them. They are strongly considering this hotel and would be interested in your dining options as well! I know you will have fun!
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

It is interesting - we are going to Quality Meats for the company dinner on Friday night - I have never heard of it - They generally select very nice places - last year it was at Del Posto which was very nice.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM

We stayed at the Essex House when we got married. We had a beautiful room, but the best part was the service.

The last time we ate in that neighborhood, we went to Nougatine at the Trump Tower, which was well priced and very delicious.

None of this was very recent.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 12:36 PM

Quality Meats may not be the best steakhouse in NYC, but it's quite good.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

That is good to hear Doug - they usually pick great places - we went to Nick and Sams here in Dallas area and it was great -

Tuscan - thank you!!
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

We are back! It was a whirlwind of 4 nights - we ended up eating at AVoce and it was very good. I think I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Quality Meats was fairly good - I enjoyed it as well - but the best was STK in the meat packing district... I was not sure when we walked in because as they say "it is not your daddy's steakhouse" and we were not the young hip crowd they cater to (well dh and I were not, some of our party was!) but the food was REALLY excellent. http://togrp.com/togrp-stk/

The hotel was lovely. We had a room overlooking the park and it might have been the largest NYC room I have ever had... it was a corner room 1708 if you want to request it! Regular room (no upgrade was available with Platinum status) The morning breakfast in the executive lounge was also excellent.

We love the location by the park - might be my favorite yet...

Lobby bar was fun - some NFL celebrity sightings
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 04:56 PM

Mommddtravel2 -- I've been away for awhile and just checked in -- so glad you enjoyed your trip! I do love that hotel and I am glad you did too. We also saw a celebrity sighting in that lobby bar, although I had forgotten about that until reading your post! I find that location to be very convenient. We did not have a corner room but it was still pretty large for NYC standards.

Glad A Voce fit the bill too and we will have to try out STK the next time we are there...which is just around the corner for us...in mid-Dec! Can't wait!