Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Ko Ihilani - How good is it

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:39 PM
From Dallas

I am planning to stay at the JW Marriott Ko Ihilani for a week in October. It is 35 miles from Honolulu all by itself. We

Questions?

1)How good is it ? Any personal experiences ?
2)Is it better to stay in Waikiki ?
3)How are the crowds in the first week of October ?

Thanks in advances for your responses.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:44 PM
tina

Priceline has a package deal for the JW.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Lois

We stayed at Ko Olina at the Marriott Ihilani in June and loved it. The rooms are all suites, and it is on a wonderful lagoon. There are several restaurants there, but our favorite was Azul, which was excellent.

I think what you would enjoy is a matter of preference. I didn't want to spend more than a day by Waikiki. It was too busy and congested for me. I came to Hawaii for a laid back, relaxed atmosphere. I found it at Ko Olina.
If it's an option, stay for a night or two in Waikiki at the beginning or end of your stay, if you feel you'd miss out on something. I found it very convenient to drive to the north shore and explore the coastline, from Ko Olina. The only time I had to contend with the Waikiki/Honolulu traffic was for our Pearl Harbor visit, one day and dinner there, and when we explored the southern part of the island.
I'm sure you'll find just as many people telling you it's too far removed from everything. I didn't find it a problem, and had no regrets about the choice. And, I did get to drive around the entire island.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Joe

We were just there in mid july. It is worth the drive to ko olina. Honolulu is not far away. This is a wonderful Resort. The pool is a little small but there is a lagoon that is fabulous for swimming. The rooms are all suites. We stayed in room 628 and it was above the tree lines, so you could see the sunset from your lanai. There are activites for kids (if you have them), and a nice strol to ther lagoons. Take aride to Hale'iwa on the north shore, nice litlle town witn a good beach. Eat at Hale'iwa joes, a funky joint.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:03 PM
danielle

You won't regret your choice. The rooms are large and beautiful and with great views. It was peaceful--you really felt that you were away from it all. Highly recommend the hotel if you must go to Oahu.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Mo

We were there in mid-July and stayed a couple of doors down from Joe in room 625. Great view of the ocean.

The JW is exceptional. Our biggest regret was that we only spent two days there after 7 at the Maui Marriott and 5 at the Kauai Marriott. We loved the Maui Marriott, but were a little disappointed with Kauai Marriott.

Anyway, I agree with the other comments. Waikiki is too crowded for me. Very few hotels are on the beach. Who wants to lug gear across a busy city street to get to an over-crowded beach? Not me.

The rooms were huge, well appointed, obviously renovated recently. Instead of curtains to cover the sliding glass lanai doors, they have sliding white wooden louver doors.

The JW is not 35 miles from Honolulu. More like 17 or 18 miles.

The next time we go to Hawaii, the JW is right at the top of our list for Oahu. And next time we'll stay longer.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:41 PM
Denny

May I ask what was disappointing about Kuaii Marriott? Will be staying there and don't want to get my hopes up.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:20 PM
Kehau

JW Marriott is indeed worth it. Just went to a wedding reception there a few weeks ago and I must say that the food was better than the Halekulani and Kahala Mandarin (which are both excellent as well). Azul is a great restaurant -- delicious prawn appetizers.
Ihilani is so relaxing. Feels like you are on an outer island, away from the crowds. Well worth the 30 minute drive into town (longer during rush hour).
Aloha,
Kehau

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:51 PM
ever

do you know if every suite has a jacuzzi?