Reload this Page >

Just Back-You Made the Trip Great!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 02:22 PM
donna

We are just back from 10 days in NYC and owe a debt of gratitude to you! Had a great time -contrary to popular opinion New Yorkers are very friendly!(except trying to get a cab on the day it snowed and then it was another story!) What energy - my favorite part of the trip was just walking around. Your advice - restaurant recommendations, subway info, even what to do on our first night was great! One question though -- what's the deal with all the black clothes? Is that so out of towners stick out like a sore thumb? Thumbs up - world trade center, soup kitchen, de la guarda, john's pizza, pizza @ cosi's, hunans' chinese, planetarium show, drinks at ruby foos, norma's french toast,new shackleton imax and the poster who advised me to bring the stroller (ESPECIALLY THANK YOU!) Thumbs down - lunch @ tavern on the green, cosi sandwiches and fao shwartz (that closed early on Sunday afternoon of our last day for a "Private Event."

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Caitlin

Glad you had a great trip, Donna; I guess you forgot to ask about how New Yorkers dress! Black, black, black it is. Maybe some visitors will read your report and then finally believe us New Yorkers about Tavern on the Green

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 02:37 PM
karen

At a Soho coffee bar last December, I looked around me to note that every single person in the place (except me and the fellow Pennsylvanians at our table), both men and women, were wearing black pants, black turtlenecks and black ankle boots! I have since bought such an outfit for myself, which I plan to wear when I return in March.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 04:31 PM
suzan

I'm glad we're having this discussion......regarding the masses wearing black. Can anyone tell me WHY? I mean, WHY??? Yes, we wear black in the midwest -- but not everyday. What happened to individualism in NYC? What happened to a personal sense of style? Why does everyone want to look like everyone else? No offense, but it reminds me of High School! LOL

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 06:50 PM
NotJustNYC

Seems *everyone* wears black in London, too!

Could it be the air pollution (read, dirt, dust) effects doesn't show as much? I truly believe that's the case in London anyway.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 04:03 AM
OliveOyl

Donna...thanks for the feedback. I never post on NY but it's always great to hear what was good and what not so good from folks returning from their destinations.

Re the black thing...as I read that, like "NotJustNYC", I was thinking of London. It was astounding--and we were there in the summer!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 04:20 AM
maggi

Being a blond, I like the way black looks on me (but I must admit I keep those sticky lint roller companies in business singlehandedly). Black doesn't show dirt, it always matches and, best of all, makes you look skinny!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Black

Isn't black this year's black?
My, aren't we all very trendy.
Whatever happened to being yourself?!?

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 04:34 AM
Black

I'm glad you had a great time, Donna!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Donna

Actually I had read on this board about the black thing -- so I was prepared and you couldn't tell I was a cajun in the city! And I think you hit the nail on the head with the city grime thing --my 2 year old had a pink and white coat that was filthy by the time we left just from subway, taxi etc. To the credit of New York - at least there were no shirts with big rhinestone appliques--as you will find as soon as you step on the plane to New Orleans! I'll take black anyday!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Meg

As I recently heard on a stupid TV sitcom...."New Yorkers will continue to wear black until they find a darker color"

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 07:57 AM
lisa

Yes, black clothes hide the city grime much better. Plus, as someone else mentioned, they are slimming. And, they don't show wrinkles! They're just the most practical. Plus, black looks dressier than other colors -- for example, one might not feel comfortable at certain restaurants in a white turtleneck and blue jeans, but if you take the identical outfit and just change the color to a black turtleneck and black jeans, you will look more dressed up.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Ellen

Hi,
I moved to NYC 10 years ago from NJ. I went from a 2000 sq ft. townhouse to a 550 sq ft studio apartment. So, I can explain to you that wearing black (for me & my friends anyway), is about SPACE. Closet space is like gold in NYC, & storage is virtually non-existant. So, if you wear a lot of black it goes with everything & you need less clothing, thus less closet space. And of course dirt is a factor. Riding public transportation is not like getting into your own, freshly cleaned car. Then, there is the most important factor--black is slimming!!! Need I say more?

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 09:15 AM
herself

Black is my travel wardrobe. It is not to look like everyone else but, because it is such a comfortable, easy color. Does not show dirt or wrinkles, matches everything, can be brighten up with a scarf. Husband wore light pants on our last trip. They were dirty before is got off the plane. Besides, I look good in black.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Jeanette

I noticed that black was everywhere in San Francisco too, but not as universal as NYC. It was one of only a very few things that I disliked there. The young people look stern and washed out; like they are ready to get in line for Soylent Green. It's way too robotic in mass like that. This and the flat hair thing hasn't done anything for the young women, regardless of how slim they may think they look. I really liked some dynamite coats I've seen in Chicago this year on all sizes and shapes. To me fashion is individualism expressed beautifully and appropriately. When you are older black does little for the skin tones. Donna, I wish I could have had 10 days. Did you see a lot of shows?

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 10:23 AM
disgusted

Hey Jeanette - stay in chicago will you? if you really feel that ny'ers aren't up to snuff according to your fashion theory, that is just too bad. people who live and work here don't get out of bed every morning thinking about dressing to please tourists. black clothes work for us & most of the fashion industry as well, which incidentally thrives on 7th Avenue. As for looking washed out, stern, flat-haired, and robotic, that is quite a generalization. Perhaps you just met up with a group of people coming off a 10 hour work day & are looking forward to a grueling commute home. You see, plenty of these robotic folk live in CT & NJ as well. But I guess you wouldn't know that unless they were wearing pink or purple.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Jeanette

disgusted, You need to dress in black as it fits your anger and temperament. Keep working and stay happy! That's what its all about, right? And I also have a right to my opinion. You are awful touchy and insecure to be so reactive. You are the #1 city after all and should have more class. Lighten up - in more ones than one and maybe you'll see the whole picture, and it's not just an alternative pink or purple either.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 02:09 PM
disgusted

You know Jeanette, I wasn't going to respond to your inane reply, but what the heck, I am just lounging around anyway. Lighten up? You come to the #1 city for a couple of days, catagorize everyone as morbid robots & think I am the one with the problem? You do have a right to your opinion, regardless as to how stupid you come across. And by the way, I have no anger towards you Jeanette, just don't come back to NY and ask me for directions.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Thyra

Hate to say this but black is just the urban upscale color. Paris, Rome, Athens, Los Angeles, San Francisco... you always find a larger percentage of people dressed in black. Here in LA a lot of club/trendy types were leather coats, pants skirts.. and leather is most often found in black. I love black for all the reasons mentioned above, slimming, easy to care for.. matches everything. I certainly wouldn't wear anykind of pastel or crazy color any place other then a beach... but then I like it that way... there is nothing wrong with colors if you prefer them.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Jeanette

You know disgusted you are really funny. You can't even read what I said, but only infer from your own state of anger. I did not use any of the words you said. I did say that the look was robotic. WHICH it is, have you ever seen any 60s or 70s sci-fi movies? Why so defensive? You need to lighten up and not take things personal that were not meant that way. The look is a fade for whatever reason, and looks bad on many people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -